FS: Outlaw 950 (as new)

Posted by: power

FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/16/02 05:39 AM

I'm offering my 2 month old Outlaw 950 for sale. Kudos to the Outlaws for such a great piece but unfortunately i have to move my prepro

Canadians can save approx $200CAN vs buying a new one shipped to your door. 4 years 10 months remaining on warranty. Price $1600 Canadian shipped ($1790 CAN new). I will sell to US residents as well but since we have to pay surcharges/taxes on US items the price will be higher than the $899 price. Just so anyone does not think i'm cheating to get more than what i payed for it

Price conversion in US is about $1050 shipped. Those pondering purchasing a 1050 receiver while you wait for your processor have an alternative if you desire your unit now.

Again, i'm losing a few dollars on this unit so price is fair and firm. Email me at powerserge1@Juno.com if interested, thanks

[This message has been edited by power (edited July 16, 2002).]
Posted by: Will

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/17/02 04:52 AM

How much if any does your unit hiss? Or is it completely quiet?

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/17/02 04:23 PM

Will,

my unit has a slight hiss from a foot away but when the time comes whether i or someone else has purchased my 950, will receive a new modified/fixed unit all expenses payed. I have received an email regarding this as all other current 950 owners have.

Basically, once the fix is implemented, myself or someone else will be receiving a brand spanking new unit.
Posted by: 911millertourguide

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/17/02 04:41 PM

ME thinks refurbished unit is more precise defination than>>>>> likely than a new unit. Sort of like what the defination of is "is" if you know what I mean???Very Clintonesque
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/17/02 05:14 PM

I'd be surprised if they did that. The Outlaws are generally true to their word. They'll most likely sell off the returned units as "B stock." I've never heard of them passing off refurbished units as "new."

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/17/02 10:32 PM

Me thinks the Outlaws are a reputable company and me thinks once the production line starts rolling again, these new units will be employed for the upgrade. From ALL the 950's sold so far, do you think they (the Outlaws) have the same amount of refurbs to fill those needing replacements?

Regardless,

if the Outlaws do have refurbs, they would have to ship these to Asia, have the upgrade done then ship the units back to the US for delivery to their customers. It's either that or fly in the tech guys overseas to upgrade the 950's here. Either method will not be very cost effective.

I've had two nibbles not no confirmations, unit is still available.

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/18/02 05:01 AM

I bet some of the Outlaw technicians already in the USA do more than print the user manual and repack the 950's that come from Asia in boxes for final customer shipment.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 18, 2002).]
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/18/02 10:10 AM

I'd also be surprised if the threw away $900 processors. Perhaps they could sell them unmodified at $750 as "C stock." :-)

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: Jason Kent

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/18/02 10:52 AM

I would certainly think that the Outlaws and their associates have enough 'brothers-in-law,' neighbors, colleagues, cousins and whatevers to make an awful lot of people very happy - and still get adequate revenue.

So this matter should not really be a 'concern.'

[This message has been edited by Jason Kent (edited July 18, 2002).]

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/24/02 05:05 AM

anyone seriously interested in this piece? Several have shown interest but are obviously not serious.

Keep in mind the exchange rate is somewhat lower than a couple months back so the difference between mine and a new unit would be a savings of $120-$130 or so.

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/27/02 02:44 PM

Does anyone on the 950 waiting list want one that was purchased only a few months ago?
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/27/02 05:43 PM

A guess: for those of us who frequent the 950 saloon and *haven't* yet ordered or received a 950, we'd be likely to pass on an older one to get a "hiss-free" unit and any new software upgrades.

You could try ebay or audiogon though.

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 07/28/02 02:40 AM

That's my thinking too. My unit has a slight hiss that is dependent on the volume level which indicates to me it's the 950. I won't lie to sell my unit quicker. Several inquiries but no bites yet.

For those concerned about any hiss, you know you can't hear squat from a foot or two away when the room is silent so those afraid to take the jump should not be. Once again serious inquiries only. Canadians save $140 or so while US buyers need to spend $100 more. It's not often things work like this

One more week then it's off to Audiogon or Ebay....

[This message has been edited by power (edited July 28, 2002).]

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 08/11/02 10:53 AM

I bet you'll sell it soon, somewhere.
Posted by: etap

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 08/11/02 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Does anyone on the 950 waiting list want one that was purchased only a few months ago?

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 08/16/02 01:11 AM

sale pending....
Posted by: Duy

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 08/17/02 05:19 PM

If any other Canadian are interested, I also have a 950 in mint condition that I'd like to sell. Many pictures available upon request. I'm asking 1550$CND + shipping.

I'm in Montreal and will ship anywhere.

[This message has been edited by Duy (edited August 17, 2002).]

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 09/21/02 06:18 PM

Power,

Did you decide on another pre/pro after you sold your 950? I just read where you said you are thinking about buying another 950.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited September 21, 2002).]

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 09/21/02 09:42 PM

Will,

the only problem i had with my 950 is in regards to aquisition time. The 950 does not mute the signal long enough on my system so whenever i switch from PCM to DD for example i'll get a loud pop/static noise and the second time this happened i had the volume up a little high, any higher and i would have damaged my speakers.

The fault is not all the 950's though. I'm using an M-Audio soundcard with my HTPC and my former Act-3 and Outlaw 950 both exhibit this behaviour. The Kenwood 6070 receiver and Denon 2802 receiver i auditionned recently (still have the Kenwood as a HT pre) have no problems with this aquisition time with no noise when switching surround/music modes. Seems i wasen't the only one with this problem so maybe on some systems this could be an issue. I want another 950 thanks to the sound/price. I don't care for the looks and lack of discrete codes but sonics far outweigh anything else. I plan on getting another 950 and worse case scenario i'll have to incorperate a macro to mute the sound for an extra second whever i push play with my HTPC based dvd player. Small price to pay with the extra delay to in turn possibly save my tweeters

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 09/24/02 02:32 AM

Power,

Sorry to hear about the acquisition time problem with the 950. I'm not surprised you like the sound from the 950 better than the sound from some receivers (Kenwood 6070 and the Denon 2802) used as pre/pro's, even though the receivers don't have the acquisition time problem.

I'm curious if the 1066 has the same acquisition time problem as the 950. I think you said in an earlier thread comparing the 950 to the 1066 (An evaluating decision 950 Vs. 1066), that you were thinking about the 1066 at the time (but that was quite a while ago, though).

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 09/24/02 04:18 AM

Will,

i'm not spending over 2k Canadian for the 1066. It's not that it's out of my price range but i decided that enough is enough already. I'm always upgrading this and that and i've come to the point where i'm experimenting with some receivers to see how they sound as prepros. The Kenwood 6070 is a very good home theater performer and is just as good as the 950 in this area. There i said it! For 2 channel, the 6070 lacks bigtime while the Outlaw sounded above average for 2 channel in my book. Yes i know this is a bold and surprising statement but i'm very impressed with the 6070 for stricktly home theater use.

Put it this way, i like the 6070 so much that i'm going to keep it Now i just need a good 2 channel pre with passthrough and i'll be all set. In this case less is more and i'm very impressed with the Kenwood and it's processing abilities. I would have never thought this to be possible and i know everyone is saying what Kenwood? I thought the same thing believe me but after putting this receiver through it's paces for about a month, all i can say is that it's a winner for HT. After 5 minutes of stereo listening however, i had enough....

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 09/24/02 05:17 AM

Quote:

The Kenwood 6070 is a very good home theater performer and is just as good as the 950 in this area. There i said it! For 2 channel, the 6070 lacks bigtime

Power,

Thanks for the clarification! I've heard that in a HT environment (e.g., when video is present), the sound isn't as critical as when video isn't, because when a person concentrates on what he sees he maybe can't concentrate that well on what he hears. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I've heard...

How does your Kenwood receiver compare to the 950 in multichannel sound when video is not present, such as DPL II?

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 09/24/02 02:20 PM

Will,

i play particular attention to sound, video is second in my home theater. There are many scenes i know by heart such as some scenes from Gladiator, etc and i really pay attention to detail such as dialogue intelligibility during scenes of chaos, low level dialogue, placement of sounds from front to back, left to right, bass impact, soundstage and sense of depth, etc, etc.

The 6070 has the Analog Devices Melody 32 bit DSP engine which is a high quality chipset which explains partly it's great performance for multi channel soundtracks. I haven't tried this receiver alone without my external amps and may be disappointed if i do but as a HT processor, i'm very happy with it...

Re: FS: Outlaw 950 (as new) - 10/01/02 10:34 PM

Quote:

Now i just need a good 2 channel pre with passthrough and i'll be all set.

Power,

Have you picked one out?