Might not want to use video switching in 950

Posted by: bobliinds

Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/06/02 01:25 AM

Didn't do a comprehensive test, but tonight I ran my new PS2 into my XGA FPTV (10-foot diagonal) via a Focus Enhancements CS-1 scaler.

When I ran Svideo from PS2 to 950 to CS-1 to FPTV, the PS2 picture was quite soft, even with the sharpness of the CS-1 set to the max (which, of course, is something a videophile rarely finds himself doing.)

Running Svideo from PS2 to CS-1 to FPTV was SIGNIFICANTLY sharper and more detailed.

I use my scalers as switchers so I had not previously had the 950 in the loop to the FPTV. This casual observation, however, persuades me that I probably won't use the 950 as a svideo switcher to the FPTV.
Posted by: Will

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/06/02 01:40 AM

What's the resolution of svideo?
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/06/02 02:18 PM

Same as composite video: 480i.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: HT crazed

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/12/02 04:32 PM

Bob, what kind of FP projector are you using? I'm looking into one myself. Does it have a short enough throw for your mobile home? Being a sub $2 million rig, I'd hope so.
Posted by: Iggy The Dog

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/12/02 04:54 PM

Here's another suggestion which might help on a number of levels:

Why not buy either the Sony or Monster adaptors that allow you to connect the PS2 to via the full Y/Pr/Pb component video connections. You should be able to do this either through the 950 or directly. Either way, you will get much better video and you'll be prepared for the next round of PlayStation games, some of which will be optimized for 480P, and later 1080i resolution. I've seen early versions and the difference is significant.

For those with an X-Box, you can do the same thing with their component cable adaptor and you will also get a marked improvement in video quality.

ARF! says Iggy.

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/14/02 02:22 PM

Quote:
Why not buy either the Sony or Monster adaptors that allow you to connect the PS2 to via the full Y/Pr/Pb component video connections. You should be able to do this either through the 950 or directly.

That's what I'm going to do Iggy. I have the cable right here.

HT Crazed:

I purchased a Vidikron D-600 XGA LCD projector on eBay. Got a good price and it was a new unit. Had it for a couple years now. There are LOTS of good choices in LCD and DLP projectors now. HTF Forum and AVS Forum searches can get you LOTS of info on the latest and greatest.

And you're right it isn't quite short throw enough to work in the trailer. But I have an old Gremlin that doesn't work anymore parked right outside one of the end windows of the trailer.

So I raised the Gremlin up on blocks and mounted the projector to the steering wheel and shoot it through the window. This gives me just enough throw to work. The downside is that the rats sometimes chew through the video cable running out to the car so I have to replace it occasionally.

By the way, when using the 950 switching to my 27-inch TV, it looks fine. The softness is only very visible when blown up to 10-foot. And also - VERY IMPORTANT POINT -- I didn't do a "comprehensive test" so there might be a way to troubleshoot this that I haven't found. So your mileage may vary.

Played the DPL2 encoded Star Wars game on the Game Cube last night. Man, the 950 really performed sending X-Wings ALL OVER the room.

[This message has been edited by bobliinds (edited August 14, 2002).]

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/15/02 01:15 PM

I was under the impression that PS2 games would not support HDTV, even over component. I know that some X-Box games do already, and that there are plans for Game Cube games that will...

I have both the PS2 and the Game Cube, and I'm never quite sure which to guy a game for when it's available for both... Constant quandry... Both are awesome machines though.

Does anybody know if there are any DD encoded games for PS2? I've seen one or two that feature DD for cut scenes but it would be really cool if you could have that during gameplay.

DPL2 must sound awesome too, though.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: BenjaminKing

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/15/02 02:42 PM

Matthew,

From what I have read, only the X-Box has the capability to perform "on the fly" DD. Has anyone seen any X-Box or other games in HDTV? I am considering the purchase of an X-Box if there are going to be a good number of games that come out in HD.

------------------
Benjamin King
benjaminking@yahoo.com

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/15/02 04:30 PM

Bob, that's a great idea with the car on blocks. I was thinking of doing something similar with the outhouse - but I worried about how the projector would work if I had to fish it out a few times. I'm sure there would be quite a stink if I had to return it to the dealer.

Nice setup you have. If we ever get the rear tire fixed on the new house, we might have to make it your way.

Fades Out - "Outlaw Audio - High end Home Theater at salt-of-the-earth prices."

[This message has been edited by HT crazed (edited August 15, 2002).]

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/15/02 06:28 PM

Well, as far as best library of games goes, right now that's the PS2 hands-down. There are so many great games for that platform, it's unbelievable.

I've heard that PS2 doesn't and won't support HDTV, but I don't know that for a fact. I do know that you can connect it to a computer monitor and it's capable of 1280x1024 resolution, so I don't know why it can't output 720p.

There are games for it that can be put into an anamorphic widescreen mode, such as GT3.

The Game Cube has a lot of arcade-style games for it, and I bought it because it's cheap and had some games that I want. In particular, I think you find more FPS games for GC than for the PS2. I also think the graphics on the GC are more realistic than the PS2.

I've never used an XBox, but from what I've heard, it's got a lot of CPU power but doesn't use it as efficiently as the other two platforms -- that is, MS took the brute force, off-the-shelf-component approach. It's the only one that I know of that has HDTV games out now. The game selection is quite limited, though, compared to PS2 in particular. And, I'm a bit hesitant to patronize the Evil Empire if there are other ways to get my "fix."

I'd consider getting an XBox if it had a "killer app" that I couldn't get anywhere else.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/16/02 12:19 AM

I just got my Xbox this week so I'm pretty unfamiliar with all the ins and outs. Can someone point me toward an XBox game that runs in HD and I can check it out. I have the cable and the HD-capable projector. Love to see how it works.

Some people would consider Halo a killer app for the XBox. I don't know if I can go THAT far but it is a superior shooter with a better sense of pacing and drama than almost anything in the genre, outside of Half-Life.

Quote:
I was thinking of doing something similar with the outhouse - but I worried about how the projector would work if I had to fish it out a few times.

I don't think you need to worry, HT. Here in Los Angeles, we've developed many very successful motion pictures using a similar technique.

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/16/02 06:54 AM

Bob - OK fine. But I still think it would be a heck of an ad campaign. Maybe if I storyboarded it for you bigshot LA film industry types? Outlaw, I turn over all the rights - run with it!

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/16/02 09:56 AM

I thought Halo *did* have HDTV support. Note that you've got to get the component connection "kit" to get that to work. I think the same kit also has your Toslink port.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: brianca

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/16/02 11:35 AM

The new Dragon's Lair will be the first X-box with HDTV support. There are slated to be more to follow.

PS2 does have at least one game with real time DTS. It's one of the NHL games and it's great.

X-box is by far the best of the bunch IMHO, and I have all three.

brianca
Posted by: Duy

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/17/02 05:17 PM

Please delete, I post in the wrong topic.

[This message has been edited by Duy (edited August 17, 2002).]

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/17/02 07:01 PM

HT:

We Hollywood types already know what to do with "Salt of the Earth." We did it once. We can do it again. Our motto: Never let a good idea get in the way of our same old crap. And never let a good idea get in the way of selling our same old crap.

http://www.culturevulture.net/Books/Suppression.htm

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/19/02 08:07 AM

Bob - You seem to have a keen understanding of Hollywood. It aint exactly an artist colony, is it?
Posted by: AbraDOG

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/22/02 02:46 AM

Halo, Amped, Dead or Alive 3, Munch's Oddysee, NASCAR Heat, Project Gotham Racing, Max Payne, Silent Hill 2, Dead to Rights, RalliSport Challenge are all very good games and all support 480p As do most other Xbox games.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X supports 720p and Madden 2002 supports 1080i (I would guess the new Madden 2003 would as well) according to NextGen magazine.

Btw, Halo is a killer app; it's sold 2 million copies worldwide and is a kick @ss game.
Posted by: brianca

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/22/02 10:56 AM

480p isn't an HDTV resolution.

I never saw the 1080i option in Madden 2002 or the 720p on Tony Hawk 2. I'll have to look at them again.

There's currently a big deal beign made about Dragon's Lair being the first HDTV game. That's why I was saying that.

brianca..
Posted by: merc

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/22/02 01:23 PM

Quote:
Unless, of course, you work for Fox. Then again, after being scolded, they changed their press releases to saying it uses "Fox Widescreen", extended definition TV. Maybe MS should say the Xbox games are Fox Widescreen compatable.
Posted by: AbraDOG

Re: Might not want to use video switching in 950 - 08/23/02 03:21 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was. I was just pointing out some games that support better than your average 480i display.

I'm pretty much ecstatic to see any jump in picture quality though. Compared to just a few years ago the 480p display of a Gamecube or Xbox game (not sure if the PS2 supports 480p or not) looks unbelievably good. Heck, up until the Dreamcast no console even took advantage of the full 480i picture on a standard NTSC TV so it’s all gravy to me.

[This message has been edited by AbraDOG (edited August 23, 2002).]