An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio

Posted by: santaclarajim

An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/19/02 10:21 PM

Outlaws:

I am concerned that Outlaw Audio is starting to stray from what I believe was its original vision and intent. Outlaw's success was all about communication.

What happened?

I believe Outlaw was established on the principle that it would offer customers a great product at a great price. Consumers of Outlaw products would have to take the leap of faith to order the product. Thus testimonials were the key to it all.

“I bought the 1050 and it is really cool!”
“If your into home theater, check out this website!”
“What a great deal and you can only get it on the net!”

It was all about communication!

Outlaw placed a bet that the early adopters would be impressed by the value proposition and the Net-centric style. Techies would try the product, like it (because, after all, it still is great gear for the money!) and tell their friends; truly "Buzz" marketing if ever I have seen it!

“No storefront.”
“No listening room.”
“No salesmen.”
“Ya’ just gotta hear it to believe! “

Communication!

Even now, Outlaw relies heavily on inter-customer exchanges, corporate newsletters and press releases as its primary marketing tools. The monthly newsletters keep interest alive and stoke the consumer fire just enough to keep people hooked. These bulletin boards are one of Outlaw’s most critically effective marketing tools. They use these tools to maintain the buzz within the Outlaw consumer community. And it really works!

Think about it! How many companies can claim that their customers are so strongly invested that they are willing to write a letter like this?!

And, in my opinion, Outlaw Audio is letting it slip away!

After investing all the time and resources to build a substantial buzz within the Outlaw community, the Outlaws are just standing silently by while the buzz starts to get ugly.

No longer am I seeing gunslingers rushing to the defense of the company. These boards, once echoing with so much anticipatory buzz, are now smoldering with sedition. Many of the long-term wait-listers (like me) are losing hope.

We really want to remain hopeful and excited. We are very willing to forgive any of Outlaw’s shortcomings, if you will only COMMUNICATE.

Please let us know what is going on!

Thank you,
Santa Clara Jim

[This message has been edited by santaclarajim (edited June 20, 2002).]
Posted by: willscary

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/19/02 10:34 PM

I agree. My SVS arrived. Bought my Parasound amp. Waiting for my chance at a 950. Looking strongly at the Rotel. And to think I was ready to pull the trigger on a 1050 until I started hearing about the soon to arrive 950 last fall! It's OK, I told my wife, my old NAD will be fine for another couple months. I should have told her a few more years!
Posted by: bobliinds

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 12:54 AM

I hear you Will.

I'm afraid The Outlaws' current "cone of silence" is forcing a lot of wait-listers to play with their NAD's.
Posted by: bigmac

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 02:45 AM

I wouldn't expect a reply. People were recently applauding Outlaw for allowing open discussion of the 1066 vs 950 pros/cons. I'm now convinced that they weren't really allowing an open discussion. They just don't pay any attention to this board anymore.

Scott used to reply to alot of these posts -- when was the last time he did???

I'm actively seeking a 1066. If Outlaw releases SOME kind of news, I might hold off. If I make it to a 1066 before that, I'll buy it.

Geez, they promised someone a newsletter last week. Someone else one by today. This is totally inexcusable. Outlaw gets high marks for their after-the-sale service. It's starting to look like I'll never find out if that's true or not....

Outlaw (if by some wild chance you ARE still reading the boards), we aren't asking for guaranteed ship dates. Just SOME kind of news!! Your last update, more than a month ago, slipped immediately. The promise in that update to keep us informed of any slippages has proven to be a totally empty promise, as has every other promise from you.
Posted by: Brandon B

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 10:18 AM

Oooooooh, Bob. Go and sit in the corner.

BB
Posted by: James Tg

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 10:38 AM

My first impression of Outlaw was their excellent communication and e-business. People bought their products based on the confidence from other users. However, the shipment and communication of 950 have broken my heart. I am getting losing my conference on Outlaw, and wondering if they have changed their business direction. Apparently Outlaw's reputation has dropped a lot recently. No newletter, no message, no email, .. no business, and no service? Is it the direction that Outlaw is going? I really worry about it. I am going to call my local Rotel dealer and have 1066 a trial today.

Outlaw, your customers are patiently waiting for you. Please please do not disappoint them. I am still hopping you can go back your old way. Please, please, ..

James
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 11:23 AM

Brandon: ROTFLMAO :-)

Santa Clara Jim: I know exactly what you mean... it seems as though there has been a "break" somewhere in the past few months, where the Outlaw radio station just went dead. No more information, even of the "we're working on it" type. We suspect that shipments have been halted because of the hiss, but don't know for sure if that's the reason. The only reason we even know shipments are halted is because nobody has reported receiving a shipment in the past month and a half. Why won't they just say "We're worning on the hiss problem, we'll start shipping again when we're done?" Would that be so hard? And where were the past two newsletters?

Big Mac: I think you're right; I think they just stopped reading the boards.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: James Tg

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 12:19 PM

I suspect they might have larger issues than the hiss problem, and they cannot announce the unknow issues to scare their customers. I hope it is not true.

Outlaw, your customers are here to support you. Wake up and listen to them.

James
Posted by: Dan Hitchman

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 12:42 PM

I do not know for certain that this means another batch is ready to ship, but I did receive a replacement 950 yesterday with a much higher serial number than the previous two I was checking out. There have been a couple small software modifications that I could see with the little I've played with it (since I just got it yesterday). One has to do with more easily accessing DTS Neo:6 via the DTS button on the remote.

They also changed the digital format logo silk screens to more evenly match in size too. A small cosmetic matter, but it does make the front design look a little more professional.

I too hope that Outlaw will be communicating soon. Things need to be nipped in the bud.

Dan
Posted by: bobliinds

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 01:45 PM

Quote:
Big Mac: I think you're right; I think they just stopped reading the boards.

Actually, I know they haven't. I participated in a thread elsewhere and the day after posting some concern about a particular design issue on the 950, one of the beta testers received a weekend call from The Outlaws discussing the issue.

They're clearly not inattentive, just uncommunicative.

Brandon, can I come out of the corner now?
Posted by: lotus_j

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 06:28 PM

They don't respond to emails either....

I am going to say something:

Outlaw is going out of business.

That is the reason for no communication. Why communicate when you are about to file bankruptcy?

I have seen this from others like Kinergetics. People had great service, then about 3 months before the company died, they wouldn't answer questions about the new Chiro line, etc.

If it is something as simple as not having anyone to just be CR/PR, then I would expect they should, oh, HIRE someone.
Posted by: LQQK

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 08:23 PM

Great news...................is coming!
I can smell it.

LQQK
Posted by: Scott

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 10:41 PM

Hello all,

Just a few words to clear the air. Most importantly, we are working on an update which should be out very shortly.

Second, Lotus_j: I did a search for an e-mail from you but was unable to find one. I've missed a couple of weeks in the office this past month between the HE 2002 Show and some personal matters. Please feel free to resend it as I'm more than willing to try to answer your questions.

....and three, Outlaw is NOT in financial trouble.

Scott
Posted by: gonk

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/20/02 11:04 PM

OK, I'm giving LQQK the "premonition post of the week" award. Good call, sir.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: Jed M

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 02:01 AM

LQQK = Nostradamus + Miss Cleo all in one. Actually I had a feeling since I finally gave the Outlaws a slam today on HTF that they would say something tonight because I always end up with my foot in my mouth...
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 10:26 AM

Nah, LQQK said "Good News" is coming... that has yet been unconfirmed. Scott tells us that "News" is coming. smile

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: e-dogg

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 03:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobliinds:
I'm afraid The Outlaws' current "cone of silence" is forcing a lot of wait-listers to play with their NAD's.

THATS A GREAT LINE.
Posted by: Shaster

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 05:44 PM

Just a little input from a different Manufacturer, we experienced the same issues on the release of our new product lines and it really made life difficult for me, however it was for the best , for us to hold up production to get all the data from beta testers as well as the issues that we could creat, rather than release a product and find out from the consumer that the problems were there, I works out better for all, I to am awaiting the arival of the 950, but my 1050 will work fine till then. A note to Outlaw (scott) keep up the fine work and drop me a note sometime , Peace to all!!

Tech Support "Kelly"

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 06:07 PM

Kelly from Niles Audio?

[This message has been edited by willscary (edited June 21, 2002).]
Posted by: Scott

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 07:19 PM

Thanks Kelly I sure will!

Scott
Posted by: Steve in Sterling

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 09:01 PM

Willscary....I combined a 1066 with a Parasound amp....you will LOVE it!!!!!!!
Moved up from a top of the line Yamaha...so much better. I just couldn't wait on the 950.

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 10:13 PM

Funny, I went into a Rotel dealer today and wanted to actually feel a 1066 and try it out. They said they had sold one, but only ordered if someone put money down first. Then they showed me an older model (970?) that they would sell me for just over $900. I think I may be better off waiting for a 950, or at least waiting until a dealer in my area gets a 1066 in stock!
Posted by: Will

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/21/02 10:30 PM

A Rotel dealer told me the same thing by phone a few months before I got my Outlaw 950. The Rotel dealer wanted me to pay for a 1066 before seeing one.

I hung up on him.

Fortunately at least in Los Angeles, there are many Rotel dealers.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 22, 2002).]
Posted by: Shaster

Re: An Open Letter to Outlaw Audio - 06/24/02 11:45 AM

Yes Will, Have we Met???