950/770 Pop at power-up

Posted by: los

950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 09:08 AM

I've got my 950/770 combo installed and cabled up. I've not been able to spend a lot of time with it yet, but so far things sound great, no hiss problems, video conversion seems ok, etc.

My problem is with a pop at startup. If the system is 'cold' meaning it has been off for a while, I get relatively loud POP out of the speakers when I turn on the 950. I've got the 770 hooked up via the trigger input so it turns on 'together'. I do hear the relay click in after about 2 seconds, then the loud pop.

I thought the delay was supposed to eliminate these kinds of transients from making it to the speakers.

Anybody else see/hear this?

Could this be a setup problem?

Thanks,

Carlos
Posted by: DS

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 09:52 AM

I have a 950/770 combo and I also hear a pop when I turn the system on. The pop that my system makes isn't too loud and hasn't really bothered me but I have wondered about why it happens.
Posted by: tetra500

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 12:26 PM

same here, pop from the 770. I haven't hooked up the 950 trigger yet so my pop occurs when I manually turn the 770 on. I also figured this to be normal.
Posted by: JKohn

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 12:35 PM

I don't get a pop from my speakers, but there is a somewhat loud click/pop coming from the 770 itself. I don't think it's anything to worry about though. I'm using a Rotel 1066, though, not a 950.
Posted by: Jed M

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 02:03 PM

I used Marantz MA500 monoblocks downstairs and they make the same popping noise. I think its just amps.
Posted by: tkirchen

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 08:47 PM

I have the 950+770 combo and it is configured with the triggers as well. The pop is there and I wish I knew how to make it stop. It sounds from the other post as though it is an amp trait. Any ideas are appreciated!
Posted by: MixFixJ

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 09:14 PM

Their should never be a 'pop' through your speakers. Your hearing a transient signal that is potentially damaging to your speakers. Always be sure upon system start-up that all your volume levels are down. Your preamp (or receiver) goes on first, also your input components (i.e. dvd, tuner, cd, etc.). Turn your amplifier on last. Then turn your volume up. If your amp or receiver has an on/off switch for your speakers, then turn everything else on, and switch on your speakers last. Reverse the above order for system shut-down.
The clicking noises that you are hearing at the amp or preamp are start-up relays closing. No problem there.
A 'pop' is not supposed to be there. It's just improper start-up procedure.
Mix
Posted by: rcaudio

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 10:54 PM

The pop is there but in my case it's not speaker damaging. Scott wrote me that it's normal. I'm using a 950/750.
Posted by: John C

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/04/02 11:20 PM

I suspect it is related to the 770. I run my 950 thru an Adcom GFA555, which is always on, and have never heard any pop at all.

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/06/02 01:23 PM

Mix,

the triggers on the 950 turn the amp on. The pop is present regardless of whether or not the DVD player is on before the amp. I don't think this is a sequence issue.

John,

I have not checked, but I am very confident that if the 770 was left on this pop would not happen.

Other than wasting power, is there anything wrong with leaving the amp on all of the time? My gear is "protected" by an HTS5000.

[This message has been edited by tkirchen (edited June 06, 2002).]
Posted by: Jed M

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/06/02 01:27 PM

I will second that it is not unique to the 770. The only reason an amp "pops" is when it is triggered on. If it pops more than that it is defective.
Posted by: Audioholic

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/07/02 10:34 PM

Here's a workaround for your popping problem: Signal the amplifier(s) off of the multi-zone DC trigger output on the 950 instead of the main one.

The proper way to start up or shut down ANY decent audio system is to turn on sources and preamp first and power up the amp(s) last. When you shut a system down the amp(s) should be powered off first, then the preamp, and then any remaining sources. By doing this you are virtually guaranteed to not get pops or other speaker damaging noise. Once you switch the trigger connection all you have to do to control the amp(s) is to turn on or off the multi-zone feature in the 950’s menu. I would also recommend engaging the multi-zone "MUTE" feature so that the amp(s) receives no input in this mode. You can still control the whole system from your recliner but it takes two or three extra keystrokes and those can be programmed into startup/shutdown macros if you like. I’m using three Aragon 8008ST amps with Klipsch Cornwall mains/surrounds and they will pop fairly loud unless sequential switching is utilized. By moving the trigger cable and programming the extra keystrokes into a macro on the remote you get the same ease of use without spending money. Obviously this won’t work for those who use the multi-zone feature for its intended purpose but I would be willing to guess that most people won’t use the second zone anyway. OR, you can buy a sequenced surge protector (Niles, Monster, etc.) that will do this automatically but prepare to give up $200.00 and up (mostly up) to get sequential switching.

As to whether a pop is "normal" or not, "normal" doesn't mean it won't eventually kill your speaker's drivers. Take the grilles off your speakers and watch the woofer cones when any "pop" occurs. If the cone is barely moving it probably won't damage your speakers but if the cones move very far (more than about 1/32") you're taking chances on your driver's longevity.
Posted by: MixFixJ

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/08/02 09:49 AM

Hello All,
I'm currently using a Monster HTS5000MKII for my main rack and one of the smaller units for my subwoofer (on a different outlet). This has eliminated all hiss and ground-loop problems. The sequential switching has eliminated any 'popping' problems. The benefits of a high quality power conditioner are audible also. I wouldn't have believed it, but my bass frequencies are more well-defined since my installation of the Monster.
As far as leaving your gear powered-up all of the time, one theory is that if you leave your equipment on all of the time the temperature and humidity inside the equipment will remain more constant. This will lessen any condensation and/or power-up surge wear-and-tear. In multiple professional venue installations, I've seen amplifiers left powered-up for over five years at a time. From installation to replacement. This enabled the amp racks to remain locked and untouched by unauthorized hands. Personally, I turn my stuff on and off per usage. If I were in an area of higher humidity, then I would leave it on.
Once again, I'd like to say thanks to the Outlaws for providing a refreshingly unbiased forum for good audio/HT discussion.
(Where's my 950!)
On an off-topic, I'm enjoying the 1050 and find it to be a high-quality, well-built piece of gear.
'Till next time,
Mix
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/10/02 02:23 PM

My 755 pops, too. It has nothing to do with sequence; if I turn the system on, then turn off just the amp, and then turn it back on again, there is a pop. It sounds like it comes both from the amp itself, and from the speakers, with the pop noise from the amp being the louder pop. When I turn on the whole system at once, with the trigger, the pop comes a short while after the 950 comes on, owing to the 755's built-in delay. I don't think triggering the 755 off the 950's multi-zone trigger will change anything. I also don't think the speaker pop is loud enough to damage anything. The speaker pop seems to be pretty much independent of the 950's volume control; I don't think the 950 is in any way causing the pops.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: 950/770 Pop at power-up - 06/14/02 11:31 PM

The pop is not coming from the 950. It happens whether or not I trigger the 770 or just power it on. Yes, all of the other components were already on first. I solved my problem, but not really to my satisfaction. I am just leaving the amp on all the time now.

I don't think the pop sound is hurting the speakers. I watched the drivers and although I think they moved very slightly, most of the actual sound appears to come from the amp itself. I am going to ask Outlaw about this directly...I will let you all know if I hear anything else.

Thanks!