No LFE from my brand new LMF-1

Posted by: evilkat

No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/07/06 11:37 PM

Equipment
========
Sub: Outlaw LMF-1 (brand new)
Rec: Yamaha RX-v2700 (brand new)
Audio Src: Computer (only src I have, apart from radio).
Sub interconnect cable from impact acoustics (brand new)

Problem
======

When I first got the receiver and sub, I could hear LFE from the sub. After sometime though, I realized that there was no LFE comming from the sub

I tried re-setting the receiver's speaker settings, but I still cannot get any output to the sub.

Config:
======

All Speakers = small
Crossover = bypassed, set to 80Hz on receiver
Sub volume setting > half-way mark
Sub is powered on
Cable is connected on the receiver to the Sub pre-outs and into the Sub input on the sub.

Test-tone for sub NOT audible from sub (other channels are okay) when I run the receiver's calibration sequence. Can hear sub output from the fronts though, if I set bass-out to Fronts.

On the setup screen of the receiver, it shows no settings for the sub's phase or distance from the setup mic. It's like the sub doesn't exist!

Other info
=======

I went ahead and used a stero-mini jack -> RCA converter and connected my computer speaker sub to the receiver and I got sound from it.

That eliminates both the receiver and the cable as a potential source of problems.

Then I tried using the computer outs directly to the Outlaw sub and that gave me nothing.

LED behavior on Sub
==============
The little LED on the sub lights up to show that it's receiving an audio signal, but I don't hear ANYTHING from it. Tried 'rebooting' the sub by turning it on and off a few times to no avail either.

When I turn on the sub with the auto setting, the light is red. When I run the test tones from the receiver the light turns green but no sound comes. Even after the signal fades, light is still green.

I re-ran the test, but this time with the switch on the 'on' position. Still no sound, light is green.

(no audio signal was sent in the following tests).

If I go from Off to Auto, LED = red.
If I go from Off->Auto->On, LED = green.
If I go from Off->Auto->On->Auto LED = green.

Not sure if the color is supposed to be retained like that.

I can't believe this, but I think I have a defective sub which was working when I bought it and dead now. Something in the sub's amp circuitry perhaps? Needless to say I am extremely disappointed, because I have heard so many good things about Outlaw, and cannot believe this situation. Surely there's some setting I'm missing here.

Someone please help me! This sub is not even 3 weeks old!! frown frown
Posted by: gonk

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/07/06 11:59 PM

The LED behavior makes sense - when you went from "on" to "auto," the sub had already been commanded on and the auto mode would wait some time (10 to 15 minutes, I think) without any incoming signal before shutting down. I can't think of anything that you're missing. If nothing occurs to me, you, or anybody else who drops by, I'd recommend giving Outlaw a call in the morning and letting them take a shot at it. If it's a problem with the hardware, they'll make it right.
Posted by: loopy

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/08/06 10:32 AM

Hi evilkat,I once had a yammy 2500,I am assuming yours has the GUI screen for the settings,not to offend but on the settings do you have it on fronts plus sub?or sub on {I can't remember exactlly what it says} good luck

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/08/06 10:34 AM

Thanks Gonk...I was just so sad that it wasn't working I figured I'd hear a response from you guys first!! But I opened a ticket as well to hear from the pros.

No offense taken at all Loopy, I'm quite a noob when it comes to A/V. On my Yammy, I've got the following:

Base Out = SWFR only
Speakers = small (fronts,surrounds and center)

frown

Help!
Posted by: gonk

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/08/06 10:55 AM

Always glad to at least commisserate, even if I can't think of any useful suggestions...
Posted by: loopy

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/08/06 04:15 PM

It sounds like you covered all the basses [dumb pun ha ha] wish I could be of more help again good luck the support here is excellent
Posted by: Jason J

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/08/06 06:12 PM

How do you have your computer connected to the Yamaha? Is it analog or digital? What listening mode are you using on the Yamaha? What kind of material are you listening to?

I know these are real basic questions but it would help me (us) to understand your set up. Those Yamaha receivers are pretty technical and have a lot of "unusual" options when it comes to setting them up. The more information we know, the easier it is for us to help.

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/11/06 11:10 AM

Quote:
How do you have your computer connected to the Yamaha? Is it analog or digital?
Digital S/PDIF over coax.

Quote:

What listening mode are you using on the Yamaha?
I tried all kinds, from two channel stereo to 5.1 surround and everything in between. It's NOT set to headphone or night-time listening modes.
Quote:

What kind of material are you listening to?
I listened to music and some movies, all of which were base heavy.

If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask. I've opened up a helpdesk ticket, and so far they've had me simply connect the wires from the mains into the sub's highlevel input to see if I got any sound from the sub. Unfortunately, I did not hear ANYTHING out of it frown

Man I am NOT looking forward to shipping this thing frown

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/11/06 12:06 PM

Thanks for answering the questions. It really sounds like you've tested it as far as you can. Sorry to hear that the only solution might be to ship it back.

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/12/06 12:40 AM

Thanks for your help guys...I was trying to see if there was something I was missing or hadn't thought of. I still haven't heard back from the tech crew though. I'll try calling them up tomorrow.

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/12/06 09:14 PM

Talked to the rep and he wanted me to confirm the connections on the sub. Here are the pix:

http://www.evilkat.org/hostedImages/Outlaw/IMG_1431.jpg

http://www.evilkat.org/hostedImages/Outlaw/IMG_1426.jpg

http://www.evilkat.org/hostedImages/Outlaw/IMG_1427.jpg

http://www.evilkat.org/hostedImages/Outlaw/IMG_1428.jpg

Anyone spot anything out of the ordinary?
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/13/06 08:25 AM

I am curious why anybody would ask you to take the covers off. Are you sure the rep wasn't asking about the connections on the outside?

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/13/06 12:12 PM

Well the rep seemed very confident that the issue was a simple connection thing; one of the connectors was probably not seated right and this was what was causing the audio signal to be detected but no sound would be output.

So instead of shipping the whole thing, it was thought that we could simply take the cover off and see if there are any loose connections around. Unfortunately I found nothing loose and everything seemed to be seated firmly in place. frown

Re: No LFE from my brand new LMF-1 - 12/13/06 12:23 PM

I have to agree with Garcianc here: the rep was almost definitely asking about the connectors on the outside of the subwoofer. I can't imagine any manufacturer telling you to open up a product that contains an amplifier as there are dangerous voltage levels inside.

Take a picture of your outside connections, the ones coming from the Yamaha. Better yet, unplug and replug those and see what happens.