Just ordered an LFM-1

Posted by: DNicely1

Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/15/06 12:20 PM

Got some extra cash from income tax and decided to purchase a sub, considered an SVS but the size of them is not feasable right now in my living room, plus $600 is about all I was willing to spend right now and I haven't been let down by Outlaw yet. I am curious to see how much info I have been missing even though the Def techs did pretty well.
Posted by: Badger98

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/16/06 11:25 AM

DNicely1,

Sounds like we're in similar positions. I also considered an SVS (25-31 PCi), along with a Hsu (STF-3), but settled on the LMF-1. Just ordered it last night.

I currently have a little JVC sub that I pilfered from my wife's shelf system, so I'm hoping for a huge improvement. We'll have to compare notes.

Cheers!

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/16/06 01:37 PM

I am expecting a pretty big improvement, so I would expect your improvement would be huge, I'll let you know my thoughts when it gets here next week....argh ( should have got overnight shipping..)
Posted by: Badger98

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/16/06 03:55 PM

How long did it take for your sub to ship, and where did it ship from? I ordered mine late last night, and haven't received any further info yet today.

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/16/06 04:08 PM

I got the tracking number within 36 hours and it looks like it is coming from California.

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/22/06 02:11 PM

Ok, got the sub yesterday, got it home and did the calibration, put it next to my couch as this is one of only two locations I can put it right now.
My initial thought after one night of demo's is it is staying. It seemed to tighten up bass response immensely compared to the def techs and goes lower. It is not overwhelming bass but tight and is definitely there when called upon.I tried several different crossover settings with the fronts set to small and large + sub, the 60Hz sounds the best to me at this point but it sounds more full with the mains set to large.
I understand when they are set to small anything below the crossover point is sent to the sub, but with them set to large is all bass sent to both equally? anyway, much more to play with. also I would like to get the sms-1 but can't really swing it at this time, anyone have a BFD or similar that works well? just curious. thanks

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/22/06 03:42 PM

After researching the BFD and seeing you need a $100 software package as well, maybe the sms-1 is the way to go.
Posted by: Cadboy

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/22/06 03:53 PM

Actually, all you need in addition to the BFD is a set of test tones and a Sound Pressure Level meter such as the one from Radio Shack. It takes some patience and manually inputting the filters. Usually, if you post your frequency graph, or the numbers, on a forum where some members have experience setting up a BFD they will offer suggestions on filter settings.Once you start setting filters with the BFD it becomes pretty simple to figure out. you can usually find these used for around $75.

If you have deep pockets and desire the ease of use of the Velodyne SMS-1 go for it!

Re: Just ordered an LFM-1 - 02/22/06 07:46 PM

from the limited reading I did on it I was under the impression you needed trueRTA software along with it. I already have the RS meter. sounds pretty damn good just with that though.