Subs with Music

Posted by: Hipgrncln

Subs with Music - 09/30/04 05:36 PM

Have an Anthem amp and pro with Martin logan spks. Its a 5 channel system but I listen to Music most of the time.My rel sub works ok but was thinking of 2 subs to balance the 2 channel sound that I listen to most often. Comments and will 2 LFM-1 fill the bill???

Bob J
Posted by: gonk

Re: Subs with Music - 09/30/04 06:26 PM

I've had great success with just a single LFM-1 and my Paradigm Studio/60's on two-channel music listening. They're certainly nice subs.

For dual subs and two channel listening, many people like to try to do stereo subs to get maximum benefit. If that is your intention, LFM-1's would certainly be well suited to your application. Otherwise, the advantages of dual subs are more a matter of setup within the room and overall output (as well as a candidate for lengthy debate), but still worth considering. There are a few other folks around here with some practical first-hand experience with dual subs, and some threads floating around with some ideas for setting dual subs up. This thread is the most recent such thread, but I know there are others that I might be able to track down later.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links
Posted by: JMS

Re: Subs with Music - 10/01/04 02:35 PM

In my HT, I've found the limitation to be the room itself. Above a certain volume, things start to vibrate sympathetically in the room. This "distortion" is more annoying than a lower amplitude for the sub. I DO "batten down the hatches" as I figure out what's vibrating but, so far I haven't gotten everything quiet. It reminds me of the car/boomboxes with the trunk lid vibrating quite loudly. (How can those kids listen to that stuff?)

Old Man JMS