New LFM-1 review at Sound& Vision mag

Posted by: Faust

New LFM-1 review at Sound& Vision mag - 09/09/04 08:40 AM

The September issue of Sound & Vision mag tests 12 subwoofers, and gives an excellent review for the LFM-1.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=663&page_number=7

However, they do provide one caveat regarding the crossover range being 50 to 75Hz, "so the sub will integrate best with main speakers that can play pretty low. It took a delicate touch to blend its output with my reference system.

Outlaw's spec for the LFM-1 crossover control is 40 to 180Hz. It seems to me that the limited range as tested by Sound & Vision mag reflects a defective crossover control, since the range is so far out of spec. Would anyone at Outlaw care to comment, as my main speakers utilize two 8" speakers per cabinet, and I am contemplating purchasing the LFM-1.
Posted by: gonk

Re: New LFM-1 review at Sound& Vision mag - 10/24/07 07:47 PM

I didn't notice this post previously, but it came up while doing a search for some other information about this very review. First, there has been some discussion about the nature of the the measurements taken as part of that review (see this AVS thread ). Second, the sub being reviewed is the LFM-1 EX, Outlaw's biggest sub. The original LFM-1 (the one that I have and reviewed here ) is no longer in production, and there are several other Outlaw subs still available (the LFM-1 Plus, LFM-1 Compact, and LFM-2). Third, I would typically recommend letting your surround receiver handle the bass management (bypassing the sub's crossover) as it is the more flexible technique. And for what it is worth, your main speakers sound like they'd probably have a low frequency extension at least on par with my Studio/60's, and I've had no problem integrating my old LFM-1 with them using crossover points of both 60Hz and 80Hz (with the surround processor doing the bass management and the sub's crossover bypassed).