PHANTOM CENTER volume

Posted by: J_Alex

PHANTOM CENTER volume - 08/22/10 12:43 AM

I often find it hard to hear dialog even after the gunfire has subsided. Having a center channel that can be boosted has been a big plus for me. But I am currently trying a 4.0 system using vintage Polks (see signature). No center, so I must use the PHANTOM CENTER mode when playing a 5 channel source, which sends the center signal equally to the right and left fronts. Is there any way to increase the volume of the center channel in this mode before it is sent to the fronts?

Regards,
Jim
Posted by: gonk

Re: PHANTOM CENTER volume - 08/22/10 07:46 AM

Channel trims happen after the other audio processing, so there's not really a way to boost one channel before it is mixed into other channels.

Re: PHANTOM CENTER volume - 08/22/10 11:09 AM

Thanks for confirming this, gonk. I didn't think there was a way to boost the center. The next time I get a movie with mumbled dialog I will try the NIGHT MODE settings. Or get a center.

Jim
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: PHANTOM CENTER volume - 08/22/10 04:21 PM

Getting a good center channel will help a lot. You can try moving you L&R speakers closer together to help out the imaging.

Re: PHANTOM CENTER volume - 08/22/10 06:18 PM

Right now the fronts are 7'-4" apart on center. This is a good distance for stereo music which is my priority. Meanwhile, I keep my eye on Craigslist.

Jim
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: PHANTOM CENTER volume - 08/22/10 07:27 PM

Are the voices muddled everywhere? They should be clearest in the middle right between the mains.

Re: PHANTOM CENTER volume - 08/22/10 07:48 PM

Actually, Master and Commander has good clear dialog. I haven't tried too much else since I switched from the SurroundBar arrangement. But something with mumbly dialog is bound to emerge from my Netflix queue someday.

Jim