Audio Dropout

Posted by: ZOOCOW

Audio Dropout - 08/18/02 09:33 AM

I know there has been talk on the BB about this before, but I was wondering if anyone has a solution or an answer to this.

I was watching The Lord of The Rings (DD ES) yesterday and experienced several parts of 2 second audio drop outs. I had my center rear channel turned on.

I have the 1050 hooked up to my Toshiba 4700 DVD player through the Outlaw Optical cable.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem.

Thanks
Posted by: Bri

Re: Audio Dropout - 08/18/02 01:41 PM

The Optical droupouts on this unit have me extremely displeased.

I have tried numerous cables, and two separate DVD players and still I'm often embarrased buy the "droupouts".

I'm about ready to give up on this unit.

-Bri
Posted by: gonk

Re: Audio Dropout - 08/18/02 02:10 PM

I'm a little confused on this one. The only "common" dropout problem the 1050 has had that I'm aware of was the improper EX flag on a few DVD's. With the center rear channel on, ZOOCOW shouldn't have experienced that problem at all (especially since I would hope that LotR would have had the EX flag handled correctly).

Bri, have you been talking with the Outlaws on this one? Are your problems related solely to the optical digital inputs (or does the coaxial also exhibit the problem)?

ZOOCOW, I'd certainly give Outlaw a call Monday and quiz them on it. If you have a coax digital cable handy, you might also see if you get the same trouble on the coax input.

Wish I could be of more help...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: Bri

Re: Audio Dropout - 08/18/02 03:18 PM

Thank you for your concern Gonk.
I watched LotR and experienced no audio dropouts while utilizing the Coaxial inputs.

I do have the non-existent 6th speaker enabled. I only experience intermittent dropouts while using the Optical. Coax appears to function correctly. I'm vaguely familiar with the "bad flag" issue. Last night the dropouts occurred during Pixar's "Bugs Life". Is this title known to have bad flags? And if it does have bad flags, why does the sound not drop while utilizing the coax connection?

A few weeks ago I did contact the Outlaws and they suggested I try different DVD Players and cables, so I did (to no avail). Looks like I will contact them again this week.

I must say that I am duly impressed with both the sound quality and quantity this unit produces as well as the features it offers based on its price point. But the Optical dropouts are definitely the fly in the ointment.

-Bri
Posted by: kugumby

Re: Audio Dropout - 08/18/02 03:29 PM

I experienced the same thing very early on after I bought my unit. I called the Outlaws and was also told to try a different optical cable or try the coax input. That fixed the problem, (the coax input) so that's what I use.

This was prior to the flag issue that is fixable by turning on your center surround. After this was discussed again a while back, I decided to try the optical input again. It still has the same problem. (Not that I thought it would magically fix itself.) It doesn't happen on every DVD either. Just a few of them.

My opt2 input seems to work fine. That's what I have my Dishnetwork hooked up too. No dropouts even on HBO's DD broadcasts.

So apparently, there are a few of us out there that are experiencing the same thing.

Re: Audio Dropout - 08/18/02 07:10 PM

Thanks for your suggestions Gonk and Kugumby. I don't have a digital coax but I will try the second optical input. Hope that helps.

Time to move the entertainment center....errr.
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: Audio Dropout - 08/18/02 09:10 PM

FWIW, I'm using the coax for my DVD digital feed, but OPT2 (no real reason for 2 over 1, just happened to be the one I hooked up first) for my satellite. Haven't had any problems with audio drop outs at all (and I've watched FOTR twice already, along w/ once through all the extras). I've also gone through Atlantis a few times with no drop outs either.

Also, I have the sixth channel in use.

Re: Audio Dropout - 08/19/02 09:24 PM

Watched the second half of TLOTR yesterday using the OPT2 digital input. I did not experience any audio drop out using this input. Weird, but I hope the problem is solved.

I just don't understand how it could be an input problem.
Posted by: DanKaps

Re: Audio Dropout - 10/30/02 08:01 AM

ZOOCOW,

I also have "embarrasing" sound drop-out problems with the Tosh SD4700. I experience dropouts during LOTR, Oceans Eleven and SW Episode One. I'm aware of the bad flag issue with Atlantis for example, so I'm sure my dropouts are not related. I get them when using the coax or optical input (not sure which optical however).

I never had a problem until I replaced an older Toshiba with the 4700. I assumed the problem was with the player. It's in the shop right now (has been for 4 weeks) and they report no problems with it so far. I've since replaced it with a Panny RP82 which is dynamite and I have no dropout problems with it. I wonder if THIS problem only bears its head with the 4700/1050 combo for some reason.

Outlaws,

Since I've replaced the 4700, if I get it back and I still experience dropouts, if you'd like, I can send it to you and you could trouble shoot the problem to maybe see where the "incompatibility" lies.
Posted by: AJZepp

Re: Audio Dropout - 10/30/02 10:31 AM

Forgive the stupid question here, but what exactly does a 'dropout' sound like? I get the impression it's not a subtle thing....does the overall sound just go out for a short time? Is it only from one speaker? Basically, I am wondering if I'd clearly know if and when my system ever did this. Thanks
Posted by: gonk

Re: Audio Dropout - 10/30/02 10:36 AM

I never had dropout problems on my 1050 (I had a surround back speaker almost from the day I got it, over a year before the first problem disc appeared), but from the descriptions of the problem by others and from the testing I did during the "dropout" problems with the first batch of 950's I can say without a doubt that you'd know it if it happened. It is a complete loss of audio on all channels for at least a second or two. It's not something you're likely to miss.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: Smart Little Lena

Re: Audio Dropout - 10/30/02 10:41 AM

THE SOUND OF SILENCE, (sung to the tune of hello darkness my old friend)

You hear nothing for second (or longer) when I had a glitchy brand new Sony proggresive DVD the dropouts could occur for a split second then audio would re-aquire again or occasionaly I had to halt play and start again to get audio back on line. You would notice when it occurs.
Posted by: Hoots

Re: Audio Dropout - 10/30/02 08:35 PM

I have the drop-out problem. Here is what I've heard:

The sound goes silent for 1 or 2 secs and then resumes. It happens about 8 or so times during a movie.

1. both optical ports have the same problem. Is it my RadioShack cable.
2. seems worse at high volume...maybe only more noticable at higher volumes.
3. I'm now using coax connection and will see if it continues.

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/06/02 12:10 AM

I'm getting dropouts on all three digital connections...opt 1, opt2 and coax. I'm using a 3rd generation Toshiba DVD. They are not repeatable by specific scene and they seem to happen after 45 minutes or so into a movie.

Tonight it was on Max Keebler's ... a Disney kids movie but it's on many DVD's.

It is unacceptabl and needs to be fixed. I'm not sure if it's the player or the AVR.
Posted by: wrunow

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/06/02 10:26 PM

I am also getting the dropout, seems to happen on some DD material and doesn't seem to be specific to the source. Last night I had it happen watching HBO HD on digital cable. My digital cable is connected through the coax imput. I have noticed it also on occasion with my Sony DVD on some discs but not on others. I think the OUTLAWS should definately check this out.
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/07/02 12:22 AM

I haven't had any dropout problems that are the fault of the 1050 and I've had mine for over a year now. Any audio dropouts I've had have had accompanying video freezes from the source so I know where the culprit lies.
Posted by: Jason J

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/07/02 09:51 PM

I'm the curious type here, but does anybody think that the "dropouts" could be related to the 1050 going into protection for overheating or clipping? In other words, do these "dropouts" occur only when the 1050 has been playing at loud volumes or when the 1050 has been working for a long period of time?

I'm a fairly recent 1050 purchaser and I've so far encountered no problems with its playback. Now I'm praying that I don't ever encounter this!!
Posted by: kugumby

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/08/02 02:11 PM

Good theory, but mine will do it whether I just turned it on or it's been on for hours.

Now, I still have the same DVD player (Sony). The optical cable is not the culprit because when I started using coax for the DVD, I switched the Monster Cable to the Dish on opt2 and it works fine.

This is something I should have pursued early on, but I didn't. My workaround suits me fine though. (don't use opt1) Maybe when I get a new DVD player, I'll try it again.

Todd

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/08/02 08:21 PM

Its been awhile since I started this thread. My wife and I have watched alot of movies since then too. I can happily say that I have not experienced any drop-outs since changing the optical inputs.

Weird.

But talking with other people that I work with, it seems that alot of people experience other problems with their home theater.

My one friend's system doesn't seem to produce any bass on DTS DVDs. While another seems to have problems with there video.

It seems that as technology get more advanced, more problems can occur.

Oh, I also want to say that I love my 1050, for movies and 2 channel music. I would recommend it to everyone. I am already hinting to my wife that we need to upgrade to the 950. Christmas is around the corner.

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/10/02 09:19 AM

ok, I jinked myself...

Last night we rented Eight Legged Freaks (I know, but we like the goofy horror stuff). I got the drop-out twice. Did some research this morning. What I found was that the drop-outs occurred at chapter changes.

Tried the DVD on two other toshiba DVD players that I have (with a DD Technics receiver and a TV/DVD combo) and it worked fine. Tried the DVD this morning on the Outlaw by jumping to the chapter, and what I found was a 1 sec delay between the video and when the audio kicked in. The other systems I have did not have this delay.

Here's the weird part, when I rewind it past the chapter breaks and played it, it didn't do it this morning.

oh well, where does this put me? Maybe switching optical cables? The drop-outs only started after I got a outlaw optical cable. Bad cable? Is it fixable?
Posted by: Jason J

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/12/02 04:47 PM

Check out this article on the Dolby website:
http://dolby.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/dolby.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=129

Maybe this explains some of the problem.

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/12/02 09:37 PM

Thanks Jason for the info.

So is this the bad flag issue again, or is this something new?

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/15/02 11:07 PM

I'm to the point where I'm starting to believe that my 1050 is flawed and that I should get a new AVR. The only DVD I've been able to watch is Sopranos. I've tried all digital connectors and put the system in 6.1 mode.

I guess I wouldn't have had all these problems if I would have bought something at a store.
Posted by: Q-man

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/16/02 08:21 AM

Hoots- go look at Accessories4less.com and you can see all the Marantz rebuilds availible. Problems with electronics aren't limited to internet direct companies. Think of all the parts from all the different sources and if any one of them has a problem it affects the rest of the unit. Ubid.com and ebay and others web sites are full of manufacture refurbished equipment of all makes.

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited November 16, 2002).]

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/18/02 09:41 AM

I emailed Outlaw on Saturday and got a return phone call first thing Monday morning. They were very pleasant and I'm sending the unit in for repair. I have been very frustrated with the problem but now that I'm working with OUTLAW I think their strong customer support is making me impressed.

30 day return plus transferable warranty with good phone support is worth buying on-line instead of a store. I'm down two weeks but that would be the case with store purchased repairs as well.

The droputs are not repeatable on a given frame and they happen on all digital inputs. If this is just an internal problem that can be fixed and returned then I'll be in good shape.
Posted by: Q-man

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/18/02 03:40 PM

Great to hear that Outlaw service is living up to its rep. Let us know how it works out.

Re: Audio Dropout - 11/18/02 09:12 PM

Hoots,

Tell us what you find out about your 1050. I am still discussing my problem with Outlaw.

Re: Audio Dropout - 12/09/02 10:23 PM

Outlaw repaired my 1050 under warranty and it should be in my hands in the morning. I'll verify my problems are gone but I'm pretty impressed because I transferred the warranty from the original owner to me and got the unit fixed under warranty. I'm not aware of any other brand that allows you to buy a product used and get warranty work. They were easy to reach and quick to respond. They even gave me the tracking number of my returned unit--paid by them. I felt like a big buck new unit buyer...not a cheapo second hand buyer.
Posted by: quicklad

Re: Audio Dropout - 12/14/02 01:52 AM

I started getting the drop out a few weeks after buying my unit, and now, I get the complete dropout of sound (DVD and CD) and it doesn't come back. The input display thing on the front just blinks, like the unit is searching for a signal that it can't find. It is a huge pain to try and get at the back, but it is this or just give up and a different receiver all together. I know other makes have problems, but I've had Yamaha, Denon and Adcom gear over the years and *never* had any problem like this (or any problem at all come to think of it).
Posted by: MCH

Re: Audio Dropout - 12/14/02 01:00 PM

Your best bet is to get a hold of Outlaw. They apparently have excellent customer service. I've had my 1050 for a year now without any problems. I think it was the best purchase I've made.
Posted by: Smart Little Lena

Re: Audio Dropout - 12/14/02 04:11 PM

Never rule out some Audio dropouts being traced to (or a future parital percent or sudden rash of occurances)truly orginating from your DVD player or other spot.

I sent a brand new Sony progressive player back for these (at first thought it might be the 950...it was not). Now have a backordered STB just delivered (HD200), where there is a thread on iractic audio dropouts reported with this satelite reciever. We have only had the unit on line a couple of hours and have not experieced the audio dropout YET (I'm feeling pessimistic at the moment) but have had it reboot (another noted 'problem').

AT lease 3 times early in my aquire (I'm embarssed) I thought I caught my 950 misbehaving or exhibiting a new 'potential' problem, one of those UH OH moments. And the problem was ultimently eventialy traced to OE or a support source and or connection.

One of these moments was an interconnect I had 'always' used which had 'always' worked prior to my 950. Therefore it was last on my possible lists of culprits during an issue I was having...but it had indeed gone partialy kaput. In fact (weird timing) after not having problems in the area of interconnects for years...I purchased a new straight wire component cable around the same time which was DOA and required replacement.

Call Outlaw whenever these type issues arise and you have tried all you thought to check. They are great at helping to peg them down.

Re: Audio Dropout - 12/17/02 01:33 AM

It sounds like the 1050 has stopped receiving the digital audio stream from the DVD player when you get the audio drop and the flashing arrow.

Try a different DVD player and I bet you won't have the problem. The same old DVD player should work fine w/o using a digital audio connection.

Digital audio is very sensitive to problems.

Call Outlaw but make sure you've tried a different DVD player before assuming it's the 1050