Tivo remote

Posted by: HDCO1107

Tivo remote - 04/28/02 12:14 PM

Can I get the 1050 remote to work my Tivo? The four arrow keys surrounding the enter key is the same interface that the Tivo remote (first Sony unit) uses for most key navigation functions. I didn't see a Tivo code in the code library in the instruction manual.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Tivo remote - 04/28/02 01:59 PM

I'd suggest two sites that might be handy: Hi-Fi Remote and Remote Central . The first site is dedicated to info on the Cinema 7 and Radio Shack 15-1994 remotes, both of which share the same code library as the UEI Catalyst-48 remote used by the 1050. There may be some Tico codes listed there, and those codes should work on the 1050.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Re: Tivo remote - 04/28/02 10:30 PM

Went to the remote web site Gonk suggested. For those interested, here was the response:

"The UEIC code for the Sony TiVo is VCR/0635 (or 0636, I forget), but unfortunately, I don't know of any remotes that come with it pre-installed.

So, here are your options:

1) Get a learning remote, such as the Sony VL900, which has enough memory to learn all your devices.

2) Get an upgradeable UEIC remote, such as the One For All URC-8800 Producer 8, and sent it in to have the code added.

3) Check out the JP1 info on my site, and add the code to any JP1-capable remote yourself. we have already created the code, so all you would have to do is download it and load it up. You can build the JP1 cable yourself, or buy one from one of the guys in our group who make them for sale.

Later,
Rob.
ps. I'm also a PVR user, I have ReplayTV, so I know exactly how it does change your life. We couldn't live without it now!"

Re: Tivo remote - 04/28/02 10:39 PM

...continuing above, I looked for those two codes in the code list in the 1050 manual and couldn't find them (though my eyes started to rebel by the end of the list so maybe I missed it). So there's a suggestion for a fix for future 1050 remotes...include the Tivo code!

Especially since Tivo is The Best Thing Ever Invented!
Posted by: Lardoggy

Re: Tivo remote - 04/29/02 12:01 PM

I agree with your assessment of Tivo! This is the only true complaint I have about my 1050 thus far. It is a pain to have to have both remotes right next to me when I'm watching TV.

I never had the misfortune of having to walk uphill in the snow to school but I can always tell my children about the days when I actually had to get up and walk to the TV just to turn the channel!!

Lardoggy
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: Tivo remote - 04/29/02 12:52 PM

I disagree with your assesment of TiVO. I'd rather have sliced bread.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: The Robman

Re: Tivo remote - 05/02/02 10:37 AM

Hey Guys, first time here.

Just wanted to let you know that the Outlaw remote is a UEIC remote, so you can use all the powers of JP1 on it to add things like the TiVo code, etc.

But just for the record, TiVo is the SECOND best thing ever invented, ReplayTV is the best!

Rob.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/
Posted by: bcushman

Re: Tivo remote - 08/03/02 02:21 PM

Do you know how I can use the TiVo remote to control my Outlaw 1050? Not surprisingly there are no 4 digit codes for Outlaw in the TiVo setup). I have a Marantz remote for my use, but my wife finds it too complicated and would rather use the TiVo remote (no comments please - I have tried them with negative results!)
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: Tivo remote - 08/03/02 05:10 PM

There are no existing codes to punch in. The only solution I've heard of is people with a learning remote "teaching" it the 1050 commands of interest to them.

Re: Tivo remote - 08/03/02 05:27 PM

It is indeed possible to do this. Read up the thread and you'll see Rob's response...he maintains the following site that tells you in great detail how to go about it:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/

I haven't completed the operation yet, but have gotten to the point of interfacing my 1050 remote w/my PC (using the connector cable sold on the site) and downloading all the information from the remote into the computer. It's pretty cool when your PC suddenly pops up with all the codes from your remote! I haven't yet uploaded the Tivo codes on the JP1 site. But it looks like this is pretty straightforward. Give it a shot, it's fun.

Re: Tivo remote - 08/03/02 05:31 PM

Oops after reading BCushman's post again I see that you're trying to get the Tivo remote to control the 1050. I don't think this is possible as the Tivo remote isn't a JP1 remote as far as I know (or at least, the JP1 plug visible on the 1050 remote when the battery cover is off doesn't seem to be present on the Tivo remote, but maybe you have to take the whole thing apart). And given the huge number of functions specific to the 1050, I don't think you'd be able to map the Tivo keys in any kind of satisfactory way even if it were programmable.

However, again, it is possible to teach your 1050 remote to control the Tivo.
Posted by: Hop

Re: Tivo remote - 01/23/03 07:29 PM

I'll have to second RobMan here. I really like the ReplayTV box over the Tivo. I have both & now never use the Tivo. I found this thread when searching to see if a 1050 remote would be able to control my Replay box (Outlaw: feel free to add the Tivo & ReplayTV to the list of VCR remote codes!). My ReplayTV box is located in another room so hopefully I can send the commands out of the 1050 to an LED stuck on my Replay box. I'm using IR re-transmitters from Radio shack right now but they barely work because of stray RF interferance.