Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 09:46 AM

Well, more speakers are active.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: morphsci

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 10:48 AM

Have you calibrated your speaker levels yet?
Posted by: zacster

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 10:50 AM

I've noticed this myself. The DSP modes are louder than the Surround mode with all 5 speakers running. I also find though that Surround mode is at the same volume as Stereo mode on 2 channel sources.

I never use the DSP modes, I think they all sound terrible.
Posted by: AlexH

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 11:13 AM

I agree with zacster.

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 12:27 PM

Isn't DPL a DSP mode?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: charlie

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 01:38 PM

If I just want to fill the room with music as I wander around the house I use the DSP stuff, but otherwise, not.

I really like the DVD-A 5.1 stuff I've got - I wish DirecTV would start transmitting a few of their continuous music feeds in DD 5.1

Charlie
Posted by: AlexH

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 04:11 PM

I dont know if they consider DPL a DSP mode or not. I thought DPL just decoded and was not ment to change the over all sound. But that could have just been in my own mind.
Posted by: nonzero

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 07:16 PM

Of course I calibrated my speakers. And yes I considered the fact that more speakers were involved. 'NATURAL' is louder than 'STEREO' mode by 4dB (using a SPL meter) even when I disconnected my surrounds. Is this the intention of OUTLAW? Have they learned this from DTS which is ussually louder than DOLBY DIGITAL by about 4dB?

[This message has been edited by nonzero (edited April 11, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by nonzero (edited April 11, 2002).]
Posted by: MCH

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 07:34 PM

I too find the Natural mode louder. But then the AM/FM selection is very loud. I have to turn the volume down to about 20 +/- for average listening. In the DD reference listening I have the volume turned to about 55. For DTS for the equivalent volume about 50. Ah such is life!
I once read on the forum something to the effect that "instead of enjoying the sound, the audiophile is constantly critquing the technical attributes of the sound....". Enjoy the music!!! Forget About It! What kind of cables do you use? What are your room acoustics? Are your speakers timbre matched? Where do you have your sub? Where is that darned sweet spot (G-Spot?)?

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/11/02 07:46 PM

MCH,
I got your point and I do enjoy my music in 2-channels most of the time (aren't we suppose to listen to most CDs in 2-channel because the artists intended it to be that way?). But it bothered me while I was listening 2-channel mode and switched for the first time in 'NATURAL' mode. I had to lower the master volume to a level I wanted at that moment.

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/12/02 10:39 AM

I'm not sure it's intentional on Outlaw's part. Did they even design the "natural" DSP mode? My guess would be that it's an off-the-shelf processing algorithm.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: NATURAL is louder than STEREO mode? - 04/12/02 07:34 PM

MatthewHill,
You are right. CIRRUS LOGIC provides the DSP for OUTLAW (and LEXICON for that matter).