My 1050 shuts off now

Posted by: Matthew Hill

My 1050 shuts off now - 01/28/02 12:30 AM

I've had my 1050 for a few weeks now without a single problem. Today, though, I was playing a videw game (GT3, if you haven't played it, you gotta try it) when I had to go to the bathroom. I left the game on pause, but the music was still playing in the background.

When I returned from the bathrrom, there was no more sound and the 1050 had turned off. I tried to turn it on, but it immediately turned off again.

The first thing I suspected was the autoprotect feature, so I checked all the speaker connections to make sure nothing was shorted. Nothing was, so I tried disconnecting the speakers completely from the rear of the 1050, just to be sure. Unit still won't turn on. I also unplugged all the RCA jacks and the optical cable, but still no dice. I also tried disconnecting power for a while, then reconnecting. No dice.

Two more things that are odd: For one, if I press the power button, nothing happens. When I press it a second time, the unit turns on and then shuts off. Second, just as the unit starts to turn off, it displays something, scrolling from the right. I only see as far as "sys" before it fades back to black.

I was playing the game through the optical-in on the 1050, and nothing at all was disturbed while I was in the bathroom, so I'm completely confounded. Has anyone out there seen anything remotely like this with a 1050? Any suggestions?

I'm getting a new CD megachanger delivered on Tuesday and it will really kill me if I can't play with it right away.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: stott

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/28/02 03:06 AM

I would contact outlaw. Sounds like you need a new unit to me though.

------------------
Stott

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/28/02 01:16 PM

Yeah, I think you're right. Was hoping that someone had a "did you remember to xxx" type of comment, though.

I sent them an e-mail a few hours ago. We'll see what happens. Even given the legendary Outlaw C.S., though, I doubt I'll have a working receiver before my megachanger arrives. Especially if it requires putting the thing back in a box and sending it somewhere. *sigh* oh well.

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/28/02 02:34 PM

Wow... the Outlaws just made a liar out of me. I got an e-mail saying that they're shipping a replacement unit to me TONIGHT! If it's coming via DHL (the letter didn't say), that means it could actually get here before my megachanger.

I can say that I've never dealt with a customer service department like this before, and I'll be happy to send them my money again once the 950 is released.

I'm still curious about what happened to my unit, though. Maybe they'll tell me after I ship it to them and they get a chance to look at it.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: gonk

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/28/02 02:41 PM

I didn't say anything, but I thought we might see some sort of post along those lines today or tomorrow -- the few cases around here where units need replacement seem to typically be handled quickly by having units shipped out before the defective ones are returned. I didn't know much about their customer service before I ordered my 1050 (just positive comments in reviews at sites like AudioReview), but I did start to hear about stuff like this before I decided to add a five-channel amp last summer, and it made my decision to go with a 750 that much easier (and my decision to get on the 950 reservation list more recently).

------------------
Gonk

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/28/02 03:06 PM

Yeah... the only thing that makes me nervous is that I still don't know what caused it. What if *I* caused it? If so, I would hope that whatever behavior of mine caused it, won't be repeated by me. I would very much hate to receive another 1050 and do something stupid to it to make it fail again.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: m-mmeyer

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/28/02 07:02 PM

I sure it has a thermal protect, is it possible it overheated? Just a thought since that could be caused by just sitting there. You don't have any kids that stuck a coin in there or anything like that?

m-mmeyer

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/29/02 05:30 PM

No, nobody lives in the house except me and the microorganisms. Also, the device is sitting on its own shelf with nothing to the sides or top, so I don't think I cooked it. If it was the thermal protect, wouldn't I be able to expect that it would eventually cool down and then function again?

This has me confounded. Well, I guess I'll know soon enough, once I ship it back.

On another note, the megachanger came today, and the new 1050 didn't. Well, I guess I have to wait a few days to play with my toy.

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/29/02 07:32 PM

All depends on if the thermal was a sacrifical type or not, some units have them. We may never know what happened. It doesn't sound like anything you did, since most things we can do to them they can recover from. The best things are worth waiting for. Right?

m-mmeyer

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/30/02 01:53 PM

Actually, I ran the cable from the megachanger to one of the unused inputs on my TV, which is doubling as my "audio system" until my 1050 is back in operation. I just had to unpack it and listen to it last night.

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/30/02 03:47 PM

Which changer did you buy? I have often thought of getting one. The cd only ones are dirt cheap and the dvd/cd are pretty cheap too.

m-mmeyer

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/30/02 05:49 PM

I bought the Sony CDP-M555ES. Its feature list isn't perfect, but it does quite a lot and is a pretty neat toy. It includes an on-screen display showing all disks that are loaded, and it also has a two-way remote that shows you the current disk and track title.

One thing that's a bit annoying is that you can't name tracks with it. You can name disks and assign an artist to each disk, but you can't name the tracks. If a CD has CD-text on it, it will show the track titles that are recorded on the disk, but you can't input them manually.

A minor annoyance, since the unit does just about everything else perfectly.
Posted by: Jay-1

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/30/02 08:47 PM

Wow, you got your replacement shipped overnight ? It took a week to get mine. Still evaluating.

Jeff

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 01/30/02 11:01 PM

No, the replacement was shipped UPS ground on Monday. I'm still waiting for it; I'm hoping that I'll see it by Friday. Maybe that's optomistic; I really don't know how long UPS ground will take considering it's going to travel over 3,000 miles.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: Jay-1

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 02/01/02 01:32 AM

hey Matt,
For mine to get to Florida from Cali, it takes about 5 business days. However I sent my 2nd one back tonight. My days of Outlaw are over unfortunately. Going Yamaha RX-V2200. Must say Thumbs up for their Customer Service though !!
Posted by: Deryl Robinson

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 03/03/02 02:41 PM

I had the same problem once. It was late so I gave up and went to bed. The next day it was fine. Months later, no repeat. It's good to know Outlaw will back it if it repeats.

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 03/04/02 11:22 AM

Just FYI, it ended up taking one week to make the trip and arrived on Monday. The replacement unit has shown no problems yet. *knock on wood*
Posted by: Tweaker

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 05/30/02 03:21 PM

Matthew,

I am having the same problems with mine and, unbelievably, I have the same exact setup that you described (86 the changer). I didn't start happening until about 2 months after I had the unit. The strange thing is, and I can't remember if you said anything about this or not, but mine only cuts off when I am watching DVDs. Also, it will not cut off if I keep the volume at 26 or lower. If I press the power button twice, it cuts back on, but will immediately cut off again unles I turn the volume down, so I assumed it had something to do with overheating or clipping or something. The 1050 sits on its own shelf and the shelf above it is a at least 8 to 10 inches from the top of the receiver. I felt the receiver when it cut off and it felt cool, so that perplexed me as well. I am going to contact Outlaw CS since no one else has discovered a DIY solution. Thanks for posting. At least I am not the only one...
Posted by: e-dogg

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 05/30/02 04:37 PM

Well, I guess I get to join the club. My 1050 did the exact same thing the night after I got it. When it happened I noticed my speakers would "pop" as the display faded away. My solution was to unplug the unit for the whole night and change outlets. So far (knock on wood) it has performed fine. thats been 1 1/2 months ago. It isnt heat because my was stone cold when it happened. I never rewired my speakers so I dont think that was it. Good Luck to us all.

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 05/31/02 09:21 AM

Well, Tweaker, your situation sounds similar to mine, except that I never did get mine to turn back on again since that night. I ended up sending it back to Outlaw for a replacement and never did find out what went bonkers with the original. The replacement has shown no signs of repeating the behavior.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: Pete G

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 06/01/02 11:32 AM

The M555ES is supposed to be a very good sounding player. I was pricing them a couple of months ago,and the best price at that time was about $440. Did you do a lot better than that? Too bad the CX90ES has been discontinued.
Posted by: HDCO1107

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 06/01/02 10:08 PM

GT3 is the best! I got to the point where I actually joined www.gt3times.com and started posting times (handle: "Bolthole"). I take more pride than I would ever admit to my girlfriend in the fact that at the time I posted I had a laptime that was #43 in the world (ok well the tiny world of GT3 Times) on the Midfield track!

I am cautioned though not to leave it on pause for any extended period of time though it hasn't caused me any problems yet.

Re: My 1050 shuts off now - 06/03/02 06:43 PM

I think I paid a little over $500... don't remember the exact price. Where did you get the $440 number from? Maybe I'll check them out for some more electronics purchases.

HDCO1107, that's interesting, do you think that leaving GT3 on pause may have damanged my 1050?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net