model 200 compatability

Posted by: nicodim55

model 200 compatability - 09/27/03 07:58 PM

I'm thinking of buying 2 model 200 amps. to power my 2 fronts (POLK RTI50). My question is can anyone tell me if I can hook them up with my SONY RECEIVER 4ES? The 4es has a pre outs for fronts, center, rear, etc. I don't want to buy them if they are not compatible. I'm new with separates. Also, if it does work if I want to listen to 2 channel music I know that the amps will power the fronts but if I want to watch movies in surround will the amps and the receiver work simultaneously so that I can get a 6.1 effects? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but if anyone can educate me on this matter I really appreciate it. Thanks nicodim55
Posted by: bestbang4thebuck

Re: model 200 compatability - 09/28/03 02:51 PM

I do not own the same compliment of equipment that you do, but I would say that you have a better than 90% chance that the m-200's are compatable. Remember, you are not gambling much because the Outlaws give you a 30-day trial period in which you may return the 200's if you do not like the results. If you haven't yet, take a good look and a careful read of the M200 manual elsewhere on this web site.

http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/200manual.pdf

Most people, unless they end up buying used equipment or something costing much more new, like and keep their Outlaw products.

Also, the amplification built into a receiver for speaker outputs should continue to operate for either all channels, or at the very least, operate for any channel where the pre-outs remain in the original/default configuration. Adding external amplification to the L & R main pre-outs should not, in and of itself, disrupt the operation of any channel where the pre-amp signal path remains uniterrupted.

If you wish to disable amplification for certain channels, you may, on some receivers, be able to remove jumpers or make switch/menu selections to do so.
Posted by: gonk

Re: model 200 compatability - 09/29/03 10:40 AM

If you have pre-amp outputs, you should have no problem adding amplifiers of any kind, including the Model 200's. The amps will replace the 4ES's built-in main channel amplification in all modes -- both stereo music listening and multi-channel movie watching. Whether or not the built-in main channel amps will also work when pre-amp connections are in place will depend on the receiver, and unfortunately I couldn't find the 4ES manual on Sony's site (horrid site...). In some cases, internal amp channels can be re-assigned (some of the Denon's do this), but it is not a standard feature. I hope that helps.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Re: model 200 compatability - 09/30/03 01:25 PM

Hey thanks you guys your comments were very helpful. As soon as I get my check I'm going to buy 2 of these bad boys! Do you guys know if this amp gets really hot? Do I have to install an external fan to cool them? Thanks nicodim55
Posted by: gonk

Re: model 200 compatability - 09/30/03 02:58 PM

I have not seen reports of the Model 200 running unusually hot, but you ought to give them a little breathing room -- you can stack them on top of each other, and if there is a couple or three inches above them and free airflow from the front and/or back, you ought to be fine. I would not add an external fan unless you can't cool them any other way.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: hopjohn

Re: model 200 compatability - 10/13/03 03:19 AM

I'm using a 4ES with 3 M-200's connected to the R, L, C preouts in a 7.1 system. The receiver powers the remaining channels using this configuration with no special setting required and will do the same with the configuration you mention as well.

I would suggest you spend a good bit of time adjusting the 4ES's surround levels at listening volume to get the best overall surround sound.

Re: model 200 compatability - 10/13/03 05:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. How do you like the sound from the 2 m200? What kind of speakers do you have for the fronts? I have the POLK RTI50. nicodim55

Re: model 200 compatability - 10/30/03 01:13 AM

Hello, anyone still here?
Posted by: Unferth

Re: model 200 compatability - 11/01/03 01:04 AM

I've got some older Magnepan MG-I's with a 200 behiend each.... sounds wonderful and as far as heat, they stay cool but there's plenty of space above and aprox 4 inches below (they're standing on some little metal stands to keep them off the mg-1's bases and not become "one" with the speaker

Have you decided to get them yet? or since it's been a while do you already have them?

Re: model 200 compatability - 11/01/03 07:53 PM

I still don't have them yet. I'm still trying to decide whether to get the 2 200's or go with the ROTEL 1095 5 channelx200 and get the 200 later for a 7.1 set up. Is 1920.00 a good price for it? nicodim55
Posted by: morphsci

Re: model 200 compatability - 11/07/03 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nicodim55:
I still don't have them yet. I'm still trying to decide whether to get the 2 200's or go with the ROTEL 1095 5 channelx200 and get the 200 later for a 7.1 set up. Is 1920.00 a good price for it? nicodim55

Not compared to $1299

Re: model 200 compatability - 11/08/03 03:19 PM

wherw did u get it for that price? Is local store or mail purchase?
Posted by: morphsci

Re: model 200 compatability - 11/10/03 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nicodim55:
wherw did u get it for that price? Is local store or mail purchase?

That's the price for the Outlaw 755, 5 x 200 also.