200 impedence question

Posted by: JimC

200 impedence question - 04/22/03 11:14 AM

I'm wondering if the model 200 would be able to handle a 1.5 ohm load. I have a dual voicecoil subwoofer I would like to use, and would probably need to run one model 200 per voice coil.
Thanks
Jim
Posted by: dschnelz

Re: 200 impedence question - 05/09/03 03:02 PM

Not much will handle a 1.5 ohm load - I'd suggest contacting the Outlaw warranty people before trying it.

I assume that your subwoofer has 2 voice coils of 3 ohms each, and you are considering wiring them in parallel to get the 1.5 ohm load.

If you can get at the wiring in your subwoofer, the alternative is to wire the coils in series, producing an easy to deal with 6 ohm load.

(+) wire from the amp goes to the (+) terminal on coil 1, (-) wire from coil 1 goes to (+) wire on coil 2, (-) wire from coil 2 goes to (-) on the amp.

I did this to wire a pair of 4 ohm bookshelf speakers together as a center and it's working fine.
Posted by: soundhound

Re: 200 impedence question - 05/09/03 04:45 PM

Yeah, 1.5 ohms is pretty brutal. The series connection mentioned would be a good way to go if you can do it.
Posted by: a3dtot1

Re: 200 impedence question - 05/27/03 11:07 PM

Be careful hooking up a car sub with an in home audio system. I am using one to add to my 8 ohm sub and it is at about 6 ohms. this is safe with most home audio. My sub amp is switchable to lower impedence although I am considering the 200 for more power.
Good luck