My 2150 Arrived Today!

Posted by: VinylAddict

My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/04/07 03:41 PM

Looking forward to getting it hooked up this afternoon.

This will be replacing the Cambridge Audio 640A amp and 540P phono-stage. Very curious to hear how it sounds - looks great!
Posted by: tru blu

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/04/07 04:48 PM

Great to hear, Vinyl Addict. I'm really curious to hear how the RR 2150 compares to your other equipment. Acquiring this unit is what prompted me to purchase a turntable after 20 years without one. I'm quite happy--listening to a live disc by the violinist Gidon Kremer as I write this--though that's probably easier since I had nothing to compare it with.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/05/07 01:26 AM

Thanks for the response tru blu.

Well - I can clearly say that this is hands-down the best built in phono-stage I've ever heard in a sub-$1000 integrated amp. Well besting the Musical Fidelity, Creek, and Cambridge integrated phono-stages I've run in the past.

The amp sounds wonderful - I'm spinning an original copy of Rush's "Fly by Night" and it sounds great. Damn close to my reference system! I'm having to run it through some Energy Connoisseur C-3's I had sitting around right now until my NHT Classic Three's arrive next week.

What turntable did you buy?

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/05/07 06:54 AM

An original copy of Fly By Night? That goes back. I think I first boarded the Rush train some time later.

My turntable is a recent model by Pro-Ject, a Debut III. It's accompanied by a Pro-Ject SpeedBox Mk II, which changes the speed electronically so I'm not continuously going under the platter. Really having a good time with it; also listened to Hendrix's The Cry Of Love and the White Stripes' White Blood Cells today, both of which I just found on vinyl.

Coincidentally, my RR 2150 also drives NHT Classic Threes; got them because at the time I was looking for great bass without a subwoofer—which they definitely provided—but then I ended up acquiring a sub anyway. Very pleased with the setup, but if I'm completely honest with myself (and my wife), the Classic Threes were just fine without the enhancement. I guess when you've got a little extra dosh to blow you can convince yourself you need anything. Happy spinning.

P.S. Kinda curious about your reference system.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/06/07 12:07 AM

I've owned a couple of Music Hall tables which are built in the same factory as the Pro-Ject's and utilize the same arm. They are quite good - glad you're enjoying it!

My reference system consists of Musical Fidelity amplification, Von Schweikert speakers, with a J.A. Michell / Dynavector 20xL analog front end.

I've got to tell you though - I've been listening to the RR2150 pretty much non-stop since yesterday and it's about as musical of an integrated amp I've ever heard. The system it's in has a KAB modified Technics SL-1200MK2 with an Audio-Technica 440MLa cartridge. If I'm honest with myself, "mid-fi" systems like these are really my favorite. The equipment just gets out of the way and I find myself listening to the music more. With detailed reference systems I end up paying less attention to the music and more to the system. It is, after all, about the music now isn't it!

I'm glad to hear your comments on the RR2150/NHT Classic Three combo. I've always been quite impressed with NHT bookshelf speakers and have read nothing but stellar comments concerning the Three's. My intent is to run them without a sub and if the Energy's are any indication, I won't need one.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/06/07 11:24 AM

Interesting...when I entered the Saloon last year it was to ask about Von Schweikerts, VR-1s specifically. Went with the NHTs because a terrific deal showed up on eBay. I wish they were a bit more efficient for low-volume listening (we live in an apartment and sometimes I gotta keep things down), but otherwise I have no complaints. And yeah, for me it's all about the music. Happy spinning.

P.S. When you get your new speakers, I'd be curous to hear your impressions.
Posted by: LesPaul666

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/10/07 06:52 PM

Hi All!

I'm looking into purchasing the RR2150, and a pair of the Outlaw Bookshelf Speakers for a second system.

Has anyone had experience with this combination? Seems like it would be a very good sounding and versatile setup for the money. smile
Posted by: Sweet Spot

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/10/07 07:23 PM

Vinyl Addict, that's awesome..it sounds like you're really enjoying yourself, which is just the point like you said. I am very curious though, you said that you "have to" run your 2150 through your C3 speakers. Is that a bad thing ? I'm asking because those are the speakers that I have (sitting patiently in the closet) and am still waiting on my 2150 purchase.

I'd really like to know what I can expect to hear with the C3/2150 combo. I'm sure I"ll eventually get better speakers and a sub, but for now I have other stuff to ponder. We're moving either at the end of this month, or beginning to middle of next so soon after that... I'm definitely getting the Outlaw.

I think this info might also help LesPaul since he has the same kind of question. Thanks !

Doug

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/10/07 07:27 PM

Hey Tru Blu, question about your Pro Ject speedbox: Do you know if it's compatible with a Rega P2 ? If not, are there similar devices which I might be able to look at for a decent price ?

Doug

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/10/07 08:53 PM

Oddly enough, Doug, the Speed Box II (what I have) isn't even compatible with some Pro-Ject turntables. But Pro-Ject also makes a Speed Box SE that seems compatible with other brands. It's also substantially more expensive. Here\'s a link with the various speed controllers carried by Needle Doctor, which is where I got my SB II.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/11/07 03:41 AM

Are you out there, Vinyl Addict? Now I'm curious about the Von Schweikerts in your reference system. What model are they? Interestingly enough, I just read that Von S's entry-level line—the VR-1s that I was initially interested in and a few others—were recently discontinued. And from the looks of the products page on the site, it looks like their price points now start at close to $6K and move up from there. Talk about all or nothing...

Btw: Did those NHTs arrive yet?

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/12/07 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Spot:
Vinyl Addict, that's awesome..it sounds like you're really enjoying yourself, which is just the point like you said. I am very curious though, you said that you "have to" run your 2150 through your C3 speakers. Is that a bad thing ?Doug
Hey Doug - NO - it's a GREAT combination!!

The C3s are a very nice match with the 2150. I borrowed the Energys from an office system and couldn't be happier. The combination offers very clean highs and nice, punchy bass.

That all being said, the NHT's should offer a bit more at the extremes and I suspect better definition and detail. As they should - they're quite a bit more expensive than the Energy C-3s (which could be had, er - stolen!, from AudioAdvisor for less than $300 a pair!).

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/12/07 01:48 AM

Quote:
Hey Tru Blu, question about your Pro Ject speedbox: Do you know if it's compatible with a Rega P2 ? If not, are there similar devices which I might be able to look at for a decent price ?

Doug
Not to hi-jack the question - but, there's not a "speedbox" that's compatible with the P2 and P3-2000 that I'm aware of. I believe the brand new P3-24 offers a speedbox as an option, the same one the P5 and P7 used. I ran a P5 for a couple years and the box worked well.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/12/07 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tru blu:
Are you out there, Vinyl Addict? Now I'm curious about the Von Schweikerts in your reference system. What model are they? Interestingly enough, I just read that Von S's entry-level line—the VR-1s that I was initially interested in and a few others—were recently discontinued. And from the looks of the products page on the site, it looks like their price points now start at close to $6K and move up from there. Talk about all or nothing...

Btw: Did those NHTs arrive yet?
NHT's should be here on Tuesday along with some cabling from Zu that will complete the system.

I heard, too, that the VR-1s were being discontinued. That's a real shame - they are fine speakers and allowed a lot of people to hear the Von Schweikert sound. I've got a pair of VR-4JRs in my main system.

Not to discourage you, but the difference between the NHTs you have and the VR-1s would be negligible at best is my suspicion. I'll have a better idea once I have the Classic Threes hooked up, but, knowing NHT I'm betting it would be a draw.

One thing concerning Von Schweikert is they are VERY detailed speakers. What I mean by that is that you WILL hear every nuance of your system... the good, the bad AND the ugly! I've learned over the years that this is not always a good thing - this goes back to my love for mid-fi systems I was talking about above.

The reference system is amazing on exceptionally recorded works (some jazz, some exceptional rock - Dark Side of the Moon, etc.) but I can tell you that I'll spend more time listening to music on the 2150 / NHT combo. I've got a love for all things related to 70's hard rock (Rush, Sabbath, Guess Who, Bang, etc.) and most of it is not recorded in what would be called "audiophile" mode!

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/12/07 06:17 PM

Thanx for the reassurance, Vinyl Addict. I'm actually pretty satisfied with what I've got, though I keep thinking it'd be cool if I could substitute another speaker for the Mirage Omnisat I'm using as a makeshift analog center-channel (left and right channels are fed into it through a monoblock amp). Alas, that's a space/spouse consideration; the Omnisat's size and shape allows it to disappear and be in the center of the room.

I've got a version of '70s hard rock on right now: Devotion, guitarist John McLaughlin's first, pre-Mahavishnu solo album. It's an LP I acquired back in the '80s; snagged it when we visited my parents a week or so ago. It was stored on shelves I built way back when in their basement; thousands of my LPs are there, in great shape. The band (organist Larry Young, drummer Buddy Miles, bassist Billy Rich) is astonishing, and because it's kind of a jazz album, it's actually recorded pretty well. The best of both worlds, one might say.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/14/07 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VinylAddict:
Quote:
[b] Vinyl Addict, that's awesome..it sounds like you're really enjoying yourself, which is just the point like you said. I am very curious though, you said that you "have to" run your 2150 through your C3 speakers. Is that a bad thing ?Doug
Hey Doug - NO - it's a GREAT combination!!

The C3s are a very nice match with the 2150. I borrowed the Energys from an office system and couldn't be happier. The combination offers very clean highs and nice, punchy bass.

That all being said, the NHT's should offer a bit more at the extremes and I suspect better definition and detail. As they should - they're quite a bit more expensive than the Energy C-3s (which could be had, er - stolen!, from AudioAdvisor for less than $300 a pair!). [/b]
Thanks a lot VA, now I'm really looking forward to getting my gear. Wife still insists before years end. Am I crazy though ? She said I could have it, but I had to choose between IT and a new camera. This was after having come back from vacation. I chose the camera. (Canon S3) My reasoning was logical though.. we're going to move this month, plus the camera was cheaper (bout half) and I've really gotten into photography so....

Soon enough, soon enough.

Doug

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/31/07 02:41 PM

Well - thought it was about time I finally posted back!

I'm loving the RR2150/Classic Three combination - this amp just continues to amaze me.

I'm not going to go into too much detail because I ordered a LFM-2 sub to mate up with the system. Don't read too much into that, the Classic Three's deliver on the bass, especially for a bookshelf speaker. I'm just sitting there looking at the RR2150 and realizing it's MADE to mate with a sub... so why not!

I primarily listen to rock and you can't have enough nice clean bass....

Will report back in a few weeks once I have everything up and running fully with some time to listen.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/31/07 03:59 PM

Great to hear, Vinyl Addict! Going with the sub, too, eh? Guess the word's out on the Classic Three—and the RR 2150 as well. Seems like it's becoming kind of a go-to combo for music.
Posted by: hooff

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/31/07 07:43 PM

Jeez, you two really have me pumped to get a pair of those Threes. I'm really glad to hear that they pair well with the 2150 (since I own one).

It really is too bad neither of you live in Austin, thereby giving me a chance to listen/audition them.

Tru Blue and VinylAddict: You don't think that the Threes sound too bright? Detailed= very good. Too Bright= not so good. Let me know. smile

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 08/31/07 09:08 PM

Quote:
You don't think that the Threes sound too bright?
Absolutely not. For me, that would've been a huge disappointment—and ultimately a dealbreaker. I think there are a couple of other folks on the forum with the Classic Three/RR 2150 combo; maybe they'll chime in, too.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/01/07 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hooff:
Tru Blue and VinylAddict: You don't think that the Threes sound too bright? Detailed= very good. Too Bright= not so good. Let me know. smile
Absolutely NOT - the threes are some of the most neutral, natural sounding speakers I've heard in a bookshelf. Very very nice highs.
Posted by: Lizard King

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/01/07 06:03 PM

Hey vinlyaddict,

My Modified denon 3930Ci is the most analog sounding player compared to a VPI Turntable!

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/02/07 04:08 AM

I'm quite glad to hear you guys say that! smile

Now all I gotta do is wait until there is enough dough in the ol' bank to swing it.
Posted by: wingnut4772

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/04/07 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VinylAddict:
Quote:
Originally posted by hooff:
[b] Tru Blue and VinylAddict: You don't think that the Threes sound too bright? Detailed= very good. Too Bright= not so good. Let me know. smile
Absolutely NOT - the threes are some of the most neutral, natural sounding speakers I've heard in a bookshelf. Very very nice highs. [/b]
I have VS VRr Jrs as well. They are a very neutral speaker. Not at all bright.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/09/07 09:16 PM

The time is nigh my friends... My wife and I moved this past week, and are almost settled into our new apartment, which means one thing to me...

RR2150 time ! Reading through this thread again, I'm tempted to check out the NHT Classic 3's. It would mean using my Energy C3's in conjunction with my old Onkyo TX SV515 in the bedroom, but I wouldn't do it as of yet. Too many bills left to pay at the moment.

My question is though: Are the classic 3's that much of an improvement over the C3's ? If not, I may consider spending a bit more on a pair of floor standing speakers (Onyx Rockets perhaps?) since my new place is spacious enough to handle that load.

Doug
Posted by: gonk

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/09/07 10:04 PM

Congrats on the impending RR2150!
Posted by: Keta

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/10/07 01:46 AM

I've never heard the Energy C3's or the Rockets but the Classic 3's are excellent speakers. The Classic 4's are also very impressive floor standers. Lots of good choices out there from many manufacturers.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/10/07 03:19 AM

I wish I had some hard info to pass along, Doug. The Energy C3s were one of the speakers I'd shortlisted when I was looking for budget bookshelves (another was the PSB Image B25), but I never got around to auditioning them. They're also a bit larger than the Classic Threes; it doesn't sound like you have any space issues like we do, though. I can't say enough about these NHTs, but what you have will probably be fine.

P.S. Just have to throw in that I'm listening to a live Ray Charles thing right now, Berlin, 1962. Boy, was his band a precision organization…

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/10/07 06:39 AM

Sweet Spot: I've looked around online at the "authorized" online NHT dealers and it seems that Listenup.com has a very good return policy (100 percent refund/ free return shipping if not satisfied). I might eventually order the Threes from them so that I can hear them in person... if I'm not satisfied, then I'll send em' back pronto. Worth a shot I guess... thing is, your paying full price.

Has anyone here done business with them or know someone who has?

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/10/07 09:32 PM

HOOF: If you're looking for an authorized online source for NHT's I'd recommend either OneCall or Audio Advisor.

I purchased my Classic Three's from an E-Bay vendor I've purchased from before but have bought quite a bit from Audio Advisor and OneCall in the past with great service - but you will pay full price.

I've not dealt with ListenUp, but I was under the impression that Audio Advisor and OneCall were the only truly authorized online NHT dealers - could be wrong though.

SWEET SPOT: What type of music do you listen to most of the time? I hate saying "Speaker A" is soooooo much better than "Speaker B" because I've heard many a speaker that reviewers and friends have loved that I think sound terrible. It's such a personal thing - not unlike phono cartridges.

That being said - my take on the NHT Classic Threes -vs- Energy C3's is that the highs are bit smoother with the NHT's (the C3's are just on the edge of being bright... but not really, HA!), the mids a good bit more fleshed out with the NHT's and the bass is about a draw.

BTW - I picked up a LFM-2 and paired it with the NHT's this weekend.... HOLY SMOKES IT SOUNDS GOOD!!!

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/11/07 02:52 PM

Quote:
FYI tru blu. OneCall's return policy isn't so good. If you don't like them, you have 30 days, but they take 15% of the cost from you. Ouch.
Hey Hooff, Vinyl Addict. Just remembered the above info from a fellow Outlaw last year when I was looking for my NHTs. Just something to consider…

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/14/07 01:43 AM

Man.... I've got my LFM-2 dialed in now and I've just got to say that the RR2150 / NHT Classic Three / LFM-2 combo is just freakin' stellar!!!!

In my room, a 60hz setting on the bass management of the RR2150 and a hair past the 12:00 position on the LFM-2 (around 1:00) did the trick. The LFM-2 totally disappears and the added bass weight is un-flippin'-believable.

I'm spinning an original green-label pressing of Black Sabbath with an AT-440MLa cartridge right now and my jaw is literally dropping at how good this thing sounds...

up next - I've got to spin some Miles or Coltrane....

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/17/07 05:19 AM

Yep Tru Blu: One Call's return policy certainly makes me wanna say "ouch." I double checked NHT's website and they do indeed list listenup.com as an authorized dealer (along with those other two). Anyway, unless I'm missing something, listenup.com has the superior return policy. I called them up and they confirmed said policy. smile But I'm gonna wait to purchase the Three's (NOT getting them on credit).

Anyhoo, I'll bide my time till I can audition them. Damn you delayed gratification.

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/20/07 10:34 PM

Man VA, sounds very inspiring ! Wish I could hear your setup....

As far as what I listen to "the most". That's really (surprise, surprise) a tricky question. If you were to look at my CD collection, you'd think the answer would be classical, followed by Jazz, then blues and finally a mixture of modern alternative (Radiohead and Interpol being my favorite mainstream type of music) and miscellaneous stuff. I really can't stand most country but love guys like Junior Brown for their musical ingenuity etc..

However, a lot of my listening happens via my iRiver IHP or iPod through my current receiver/RCA input, and my musical choices are mainly limited by the amount of hard drive space I have, as well as what music I find appropriate for when I travel on the train/bus/whatever. A lot of that is mostly rock, with some Jazz and hardly classical because I don't have my IEM's anymore, and trying to listen to a nice, quiet piece on the MTA is almost impossible to do.

I imagine though, once I get my system set up "proper like", my listening habits will change, and I'll listen to a lot of Jazz and Classical, but will certainly not ditch my Radiohead... I know, I know. That really doesn't help, does it ! ?

Re: My 2150 Arrived Today! - 09/21/07 01:33 AM

Well, I listen to a wide variety of stuff also (right this second it's räi, pop music from North Africa; before that an 180 gram pressing of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures). This receiver/speaker combo has yet to meet a type of music it doesn't like.