I'm still waiting...

Posted by: Frank Z

I'm still waiting... - 05/14/04 08:35 AM

For Outlaw to start asking for Beta Testers!

Come on folks, how about letting us know what's going on with the RR2150!

------------------
My HT v4.0
Posted by: gonk

Re: I'm still waiting... - 05/14/04 09:22 AM

I think they may be directly contacting beta tester candidates rather than asking for applicants. Either way, I suspect we'll see or hear something new from the HE show that's a week or so away.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links
Posted by: Mike M

Re: I'm still waiting... - 05/14/04 11:28 AM

You know they must be busy as they haven't updated their "Latest News" since February.

Mike

Re: I'm still waiting... - 05/24/04 12:23 AM

Well now that I've seen the pic's from HE2004 i'm really excited about getting a Beta unit!! (Small Hint for the Head Outlaw!!)

------------------
My HT v4.0
Posted by: willscary

Re: I'm still waiting... - 05/25/04 07:05 PM

And me sitting here with an unattached SVS sub and Axiom M80 Speakers just lying around!
Posted by: szellner

Re: I'm still waiting... - 06/07/04 12:01 PM

I saw the RR 2150 at the Home Entertainment Show a few weeks ago. I had been meaning to drop a line to describe it, but events had prevented me from doing so until now.

The receiver was not hooked up for sound, but I could inspect it. It is a beautifully constructed piece of equipment. It has a simple, straight-forward aluminum facia, and the back panel is SOLID (I was able to peek behind it). As per styling, it is inspired by the Art Deco styles of the 1930's. While Arti Deco is not my favorite design style, I could easily live with it.

Management noted that the unit would be for sale by the end of the year, and that it would be priced at either less than $500 or less than $600 (I forgot exactly what they quoted - I think the latter is accurate).

Outlaw also introduced an exquisite 7-channel receiver. It was displayed next to the RR 2150, but unlike its 2-channel counterpart, it was placed on a turntable so that we could easily rotate the unit to inspect the back panel.

Again, it is beautifully constructed. In my mind's eye, I compared it to similarly priced/featured receivers from Sony, Yamaha, Denon, etc. It seemed to me that the Outlaw unit is far more solidly built than its competition.

Styling for this unit is markedly different from the RR 2150. It is thoroughly modern, with (I seem to recall) a sleek black facia. I greatly prefer this look to that of the RR 2150.

According to management, this unit will provide 65 watts per channel, all 7 channels driven, and will cost less than $1,000. It should also be available by the end of the year.

I hope this can be of some help to readers.

------------------
SteveZ
Posted by: Jed M

Re: I'm still waiting... - 06/07/04 02:05 PM

Hey Steve, Thanks and welcome to the forum. Although your input is appreciated, you are just a bit late to the party. Here is a discussion with pictures about the products you are talking about. http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000443-2.html

[This message has been edited by Jed M (edited June 07, 2004).]
Posted by: szellner

Re: I'm still waiting... - 06/07/04 03:16 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess I am a bit late to the party. Oh well, one can't have everything.

Other than a rare posting on a photography site, I usually do not participate in these sorts of forums. In this case, however, I felt the need to do so, in that I was most impressed with the quality of sound/music that I heard at the Outlaw demonstration, and I wanted to sing this company's praises.
The only way I could do so was to talk about these new products.

From what I have seen and, more importantly, heard, Outlaw's products truly represent a value to the user. I cannot say that about too many products or services.

To Outlaw - thank you for exhibiting at the Show! I would not have known how good your products are with the demonstrations (I am hesitant to purchase blind, even with money back guarantees).

Well, I am late to the party, but as the old saying goes, "better late than never."
Posted by: odoa2

Re: I'm still waiting... - 08/12/04 05:03 AM

Hi folks, new poster (child) here. I have been on the fence about this new product for sometime now. I was going to buy a 1050, but alas the production ended and my home theater halted due to a new house. Oh well, good things will come....

As for now, I am investing in my living room which houses 2 nice BA Speakers and a velo 10. I have bought and returned several A/V receivers ranging from KLH to Onkyo with dissapointments in quality and sound from each. I am basically holding my carkeys in my hand ready to finally just buy the Marantz I have eyed forever, but the 1050 still haunts. All I really need is a 2 channel with sub out. The 2150 will do that, but is it worth waiting for since I have not ever used/heard outlaw before; and is it worth the $200 over the $400 marantz that will also suit for my HT when the time comes? $600 for a stereo reciever seems to answer that question way to quickly. Give me a reason why I should just continue to save?
Posted by: 73Bruin

Re: I'm still waiting... - 08/12/04 03:25 PM

Before I (or perhaps we) can help, it might be useful, if you stated both your short and long term goals with respect to HT in your living room. For example, is a 2 channel system with sub intended to be the end point or just a stopping point on the way (perhaps a couple of years away on the way to a 5.1 system)?

If your primary objective is to maximize the HT experience, I strongly recommend that you not stop at a 2.1 type system. I have found that each increment of adding additional speakers (and processing technology) has added substantially to the overall experience. As background, I started out in the early 80's running a Sony Betamax 2700 stereo vcr through my system. I then added equipment to decode the early tv stereo broadcasts and feed it into my all separates audio system. I have been listening to all of my TV/video in HT mode ever since.

FWIW, you may want to look at getting a used 1050. I would recommend it for everything but Dolby 5.1 at which point I would suggest getting a sixth speaker and using its 6.1 capability.

Re: I'm still waiting... - 08/12/04 05:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply 73Bruin. Let me restate the layout for a better idea of what I am contemplating.

My new home has two main rooms. The HT room is still in the renovation phase, while the living room is being polished off with a great 2.1 system. I am looking mainly for that 2.1 reciever.

The reason I am considering the Marantz SR 4400 is the fact that for $400 I can get a 6.1 DTS capable, nice looking unit that I can evetually migrate downstairs when it is finished. It will work just fine in the living room and satisfy my two desires - great sound supporting 2.1, and great looks (silver); either way it's full of options.

My mental battle starts with my considering the cost increase by going with outlaw, and the potential expansion options I have with the marantz. I realize that the marantz is not USB and that would be a nice option, but for now the $600 price tag is really hitting my budget hard and I can't find justification for the outlaw despite it's absolute great rep in the industry thus far. I am looking for the details that I may be overlooking to sway me to investing in a install and leave outlaw 2.1. IE: better tuner technology, amp pureness, sub control, All of you have heard/seen this item and I have not. But for the $200 difference, I need some great reasons to wait.

Re: I'm still waiting... - 08/12/04 07:00 PM

With the 2150 still so many months away, it's hard to honestly compare it to any existing product (at least if we want to be fair to both the 2150 and the existing product) -- there are just too many unknowns. We know that Outlaw is aiming for a truly impressive stereo receiver, including a good tuner section, phono pre-amp section, etc...

I get the impression that the Marantz you are considering may be a candidate for the front end of the planned home theater system. In that case, it might make sense to get it now and get familiar with it in the 2.1 environment, then consider moving it to the HT system if it proves satisfactory and replacing it with an RR-2150 later if the final form of the 2150 turns out to be what you are looking for. I realize that this isn't really an answer to your original question, but it's at least an idea to kick around.

------------------

Re: I'm still waiting... - 08/12/04 08:59 PM

Yes, I did think about that option, I just wanted to see if I could wait on the HT system to see what other standards emerge in the next year as I complete that space. I was hoping to get someone who was familiar with the standard chips in the recievers of today and compare it to the hardware that the 2150 will ship with. From what I have read so far, the tuner section is different; just wondering how and what benifits it offers in comparison. Can anyone in outlaw engineering add to this and describe if non-standard chips were used, or if the tuning is analog vs. digital tuning etc. etc.? Since I live in AK radio is harder to come by, so if the tuner uses more than the standard chip it would be good info to have.

Re: I'm still waiting... - 08/13/04 08:20 AM

Considering the time left before Outlaw is ready to ship, I'm afraid that they will most likely continue to be somewhat tight-lipped on details.

------------------

Re: I'm still waiting... - 11/11/04 10:03 AM

Well I've given up hope of ever seeing this product hit the market. I'm looking elsewhere. Outlaw is just to damn slow and I'm tired of waiting.
Posted by: bestbang4thebuck

Re: I'm still waiting... - 11/11/04 12:15 PM

I'm not someone who would be 'in the know,' but I'm guessing that Outlaw would really like to have this unit available for winter holiday sales. If there will be delays, Outlaw may take pre-orders once they are confident of delivery capabilities, as they have with some other Outlaw products. Outlaw really likes to deliver a quality product, so if a trial production run has revealed a flaw, even a minor one, Outlaw is likely holding off until they can be assured of quality throughout the production runs.
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: I'm still waiting... - 11/11/04 02:14 PM

Yes you are having to wait, but that is only because you knew that it was in development in the first place. If you had not known about it for a while, then you wouldnt be so discouraged. You should be thankful for the internet, and forums like this one which give you a glimpse of things to come rather than just the classic method of releasing it and there it is.

Now you can make better judgements about what you are going to do, instead of getting something that is going to be obsolete instantly or able to be replaced by something better.

frank- your my ht link is dead.

Re: I'm still waiting... - 11/11/04 04:36 PM

Having been around for the 950 wait (which was of comparable duration but larger impatient population), I can relate to the pain of waiting. It's certainly worthwhile to shop around for alternatives, but I might keep the RR2150 on the list just in case nothing else within your price range pops up readily.

Re: I'm still waiting... - 11/11/04 08:31 PM

NAD has a few units that might work for me.
Generally I'm fairly patient, you have to be when your last name starts with a Z!! I'd like to get some sound out of my bedroom speakers and I've waited long enough.

CG,
Forgot to update my sig. HTF's gallery went down a while back and I had to reload everything. Hopefully it will work now.
Posted by: morphsci

Re: I'm still waiting... - 01/13/05 03:11 PM

I am waiting again. This should help me simplify my office system which currently consists of:

Parasound P3 Preamp
Parasound HCA-750A Amp
Teac T-H500 Tuner
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp 1.0
Philips DVD-963A Disc Player
Wharfedale 7.2 Anniversary Edition Speakers
BPT Custom Balanced Power Unit

The RR2150 would replace at least the first three items and maybe the fourth depending on how the headphone out sounds. That would leave enough extra room in the rack to add a turntable wink and also allow me to directly connect my computer.
Posted by: abrasket

Re: I'm still waiting... - 02/08/05 03:59 PM

Anything new on the RR2150? I've been thinking about getting a new 2-channel integrated for ever it seems. (You can find my request for the 2150 on the product suggestion page years ago). Thinking I need an integrated that has a DAC and more digital capabilities. Maybe sub out.

Would love the Music Hall Mambo if I could afford it. Not many others in the class I am looking at ($400-$1000) out there it seems (most are pure analog in/out).

Well until the 2150 actually is released, anything else to compare it to out there?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted by: psklenar

Re: I'm still waiting... - 02/12/05 07:37 AM

I could be all wet (and hope I am), but at this point, I suspect we won't hear much more about the 2150 until the spring HE show in NYC.

Please understand that this is pure, raw, personaly opinion.