Stream Audio from Chromebook to Receiver USB Port

Posted by: Uncle Steve

Stream Audio from Chromebook to Receiver USB Port - 06/15/19 08:55 PM

How can I connect my Chromebook to my RR2150 Receiver's rear USB-B input port via cable (NOT via Bluetooth or other 'over-the-air', wireless method)? I am assuming that the Chromebook does have a digital audio output from either USB or HDMI; not sure, though.
This semi-senile RR2150 owner would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks-Stephen
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Stream Audio from Chromebook to Receiver USB Port - 06/15/19 10:26 PM

Well...there is a way to connect it via the analog inputs to the 2150 from the headphone output of the Chromebook. You would have to play around with the two volume controls to get them to give you the best sound but it can be done. The USB output of the Chromebook should be able to input into the USB input on the 2150 with no problem. You may need to install an app on the Chromebook for a music player and tell it to output to the USB out.
Posted by: Uncle Steve

Re: Stream Audio from Chromebook to Receiver USB Port - 06/16/19 04:15 PM

Thank you! I will give the USB option as soon as obtain a USB-a Male to USB-B Male cable. The 'headphone' option will work, but the audio quality would depend upon the cheap Chromebook DAC (I think); the RR2150 DAC should be better.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Stream Audio from Chromebook to Receiver USB Port - 06/17/19 07:54 PM

You are correct that the headphone option is less than ideal especially if you nee to adjust the volume. It is easy to overdrive the amp and get a lot of distortion. The best way I have found is to set the source at a medium volume and then use the amp to control volume. The 2150 DAC will be a huge improvement over your Chromebook DAC.