Common Ground

Posted by: Stephen B

Common Ground - 01/26/17 10:52 AM

Could someone tell me if the RR2150 common ground? If not would a jumper across the negative speaker out posts be an issue?
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Common Ground - 01/26/17 11:30 AM

Why would you want to jumper the negative speaker posts? The 2150 itself is grounded through the neutral via its own power cord but the power that goes from the amplifier circuit to the speakers is likely a different path and not the same ground plane.
Posted by: Helson

Re: Common Ground - 01/26/17 12:32 PM

They should be. If you have an ohm meter you could check continuity with the phono ground.

Re: Common Ground - 01/26/17 05:14 PM

Hi Xenon. This would be running a pair of Polk Audio SDA's and must be common ground. My Adcom GFA-585LE is common ground but not zero resistance common ground so requires the use of a jumper across the speaker out negative posts.

Thanks for the reply Helson. I am hoping someone who has one can check for me or maybe one of the Outlaws might chimb in.

Paging Ben to the Bat Phone.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Common Ground - 01/26/17 10:38 PM

I have seen the SDA interconnect cable but it is designed to connect to the speaker with a specific connection which is separate than the speaker terminals themselves. I am sure Outlaw Ben will be able to answer the common ground question.

Re: Common Ground - 01/27/17 12:36 AM

Yes, the interconnect cable runs between the two speakers. The idea was to transfer a portion of the signal from one cabinet to the dimentional driver in the other cabinet to correct crosstalk.

The system works quite well in my opinion but comes with specific requirements for powering the beasties. Later SDA models came with an AI 1 isolation transformer which could then use non common ground amps or monoblocks.