RR2150 no sound

Posted by: steve1173

RR2150 no sound - 07/31/16 12:55 PM

Have not used my RR2150 for about 2 weeks, turned it on this morning no sound. All the lights work, the remote works turns volume control up/down, all sources, fm, cd, etc. The amp is not putting out. Had it on power strip with my cd, read online plug directly in outlet still no sound. When I turn it on or off with master switch in back it clicks on powers up no sound. Any ideas, is there a fuse, gonna call outlaw Monday to see what they say, have it about 3 years.
Posted by: rdgrimes

Re: RR2150 no sound - 07/31/16 05:24 PM

? Try a different input on the 2150?

Re: RR2150 no sound - 08/01/16 07:46 AM

Have tried all inputs, fm, cd, even tried speaker a, b. Left it on for 1 hr, noticed top cut slightly warm as when working normally so amp must be getting power
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: RR2150 no sound - 08/01/16 10:12 AM

Unlikely it is a fuse if the front display lights up. Call Outlaw for troubleshooting and repair. Their rates are really fair.
Posted by: EEman

Re: RR2150 no sound - 08/01/16 02:48 PM

Did the A/B zone switch get bumped to the other zone? The jumpers in the back still installed. Eliminate the obvious before calling...

Re: RR2150 no sound - 08/01/16 08:16 PM

Is the external loop button engaged and if it is is the connected gear powered up? Headphone jack is not in use? Check if speakers are connected especially if you recently moved the unit.
Posted by: Briznack

Re: RR2150 no sound - 04/05/17 08:55 PM

Did you ever find a solution? My 2150 just did the same thing. Headphones jack still works but no sound from the speakers and all the lights are still behaving normally.

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/05/17 08:40 AM

Yes found the solution, had to send it in. Turned out to be the speaker selector switch on the front board. They replaced it and guess what after 9 months of really not using it much as I only use it for cd's and fm as I use my home theater setup more the same thing has happened again. All lights, volume control moves but no sound, am assuming it is the speaker switch again. Gonna call them today but not gonna waste the money or effort to fix it if the part only lasts 9 months with little use. If yours is doing the same thing it must be a weak spot in the unit. Went thru something like this with my 3 1/2 year old Vizio 70", no picture but soumd. Vizio knew it was a problem model E701-A3 as they extended warranty to 2 years as the displays were going bad, turned out researching it I found many complaining with same problem, called Vizio no help. Sent a letter to the attorney general with pages of findings of many breaking down same reason, Vizio customer service when I first called said is your problem no picture but sound. To make long story short got call from Vizio executive office and we talked as I knew electronics break down but the same thing in one model, I guess to prevent the attorney general from investigating he said "I have some extra money in my budget can I offer you a free 70" 4k tv". Case closed.

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/05/17 09:02 AM

Just checked headphone jack, headphones work so it seems the speaker selector switch is a real weak spot.
Posted by: Stephen B

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/05/17 06:28 PM

Bummer it has happened more than once. I wonder if there might have been a bad run of parts? Have there been reports from other owners with the same problem?

Being out of warranty are you able to replace the part on your own to save the shipping and service labor? You might consider taking the cover off and looking for a loose wire or cold solder joint.
Posted by: Helson

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/06/17 09:01 AM

So, you "called Vizio no help." Did you contact Outlaw yet? Are they taking care of you? If it's the same issue they should at least cover the shipping costs as well as the repair.

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/06/17 11:16 AM

Once it is out of warranty the Outlaws no longer cover shipping and repairs. However, they do pretty good repair work at a fair price. If you want to avoid sending it home find a good AV tech and have them get into the box and figure it out. Could be something simple and if the switch is bad they can get it from Outlaw.

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/06/17 11:50 AM

One person PM me that his did the same and they replaced the speaker switch assembly. Wonder if it was a bad run of parts or something internally is causing the speaker selector switch assembly to go bad.

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/06/17 11:52 AM

Where I live on the west coast of Florida there are really no good audio technicians to service it.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/06/17 01:09 PM

It is unfortunate that this has been left out, but yes, Helson and Xenon, we've already made an exception to try and take care of Steve. This was done immediately when he first contacted us. His unit is coming in; if we find it to be the speaker selector switch, after we've already serviced it, I told Steve we would cover the repair - parts and labor, the return shipping to him, and reimburse him for the inbound-shipping.

Lets face it, this unit shouldn't have to come in again. Unfortunately, things do happen and rather than telling you: Sorry, you are outside of warranty, we are telling you this repair should not need to be made twice and if this is related to the speaker selector switch Outlaw will be covering all costs.

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/06/17 09:41 PM

That is the kind of customer service that makes it a pleasure to deal with the Outlaws. Try getting that from ANY other builder of high end electronics.
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/07/17 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By XenonMan
That is the kind of customer service that makes it a pleasure to deal with the Outlaws. Try getting that from ANY other builder of high end electronics.

Exactly. They took care of my 1050 many years ago for exceptionally reasonable prices and did it quickly. Their customer service is outstanding and is a big part of why I'm still a loyal customer.

Re: RR2150 no sound - 06/10/17 04:27 AM

Yes received your reply and you did what you promised, thank you for exceptional and really fast service. I received your invoice for warranty repair and credit for shipping. Question says speaker selector switch rebuilt, could something in the unit cause the switch to fail in a short time or just a bad switch. Thank you again.