770 too much pwer for my speakers?

Posted by: peteh

770 too much pwer for my speakers? - 08/05/04 05:50 PM

Hello all... I am considering the 950/770 and I'd like to know if the 200w from the 770 is too much for my surround speakers.

I know my front mains and center will be fine, as they are rated 250 and 200 respectively.

However, my "wife approved" surrounds for the new house are 4 Boston Acoutics "Bravo" that list 15-125 watts "recommended amplifier power". Will the 770 be too much for these little surrounds?

Thanks for all the help.

PeteH
Posted by: gonk

Re: 770 too much pwer for my speakers? - 08/05/04 06:03 PM

I think you would be well served by a 770.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: 770 too much pwer for my speakers? - 08/05/04 11:02 PM

they are 125wts at 8ohm??? more than likely so, but if they were 125wts at say 4ohm, then the 770 would be way too powerful.

even if they are 8, I would recommend either adjusting the surrounds down a few db or just being careful not to blast it. while surrounds dont get much sound, they do get that occasional loud crack or boom which is a lot of energy for them to handle going from nothing.

on the other hand if you do ever damage them, that will "force" you into getting different ones. :-)

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.
Posted by: peteh

Re: 770 too much pwer for my speakers? - 08/06/04 12:05 PM

thanks for the help, ya'll..

yep... 8ohm rating on those surrounds... I figured I'd have to make sure no bass signal goes to them and that I'd need to tinker with the db settings...

Cheers,

PeteH
Posted by: Xen

Re: 770 too much pwer for my speakers? - 10/13/04 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:

on the other hand if you do ever damage them, that will "force" you into getting different ones. :-)
Words to live by!