950 - Utilize analog Sub input for different channel?

Posted by: 48n123w

950 - Utilize analog Sub input for different channel? - 01/11/09 09:41 PM

From what I understand, my 950 has 6 analog inputs (5.1): Front R/L, Sur R/L, Center, Sub.

If I'm not running a Sub and turn off the 950 analog Bass Management, am I correct in assuming the Sub (.1) analog channel would be just sitting there unused?

If that's true, could I not utilize the 950's unused analog Sub input for another channel (ie: Sur Back)?

I would like to connect a Blu-ray player's analog outputs to the 950: Front R/L, Sur R/L, Center, Sur Back. Blu-ray player settings would be 6 Large Speakers - no Sub. 950 would be volume control only.

Basically, I would use the 950 analog inputs for 6.0 instead of 5.1. Still 6 channels, just a different signal (Sur Back) going through the 950's sub analog input.

Would that work or am I out to lunch?
Posted by: gonk

Re: 950 - Utilize analog Sub input for different channel? - 01/12/09 03:23 AM

It might work if you only use the 6CH analog input, but if you also use any other input you will run into problems. You would actually have to avoid using all bass management (digital as well as analog) because if the sub is engaged and any speakers are set to small, the bass will go to the sub channel (the surround back speaker). You would also not be able to use any surround processing that would extend to the back surround.