Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp

Posted by: Critical Path

Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/09/05 07:35 PM

I've just heard this is in the works and will be offered sometime this year. I was told it will have improvements like hdmi, and a new look, and will cost a bit over $1k. Does anyone have any details???
Posted by: soundhound

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/09/05 07:37 PM

Outlaw has a new preamp coming out. wink
Posted by: gonk

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/09/05 10:07 PM

This is interesting news, and it's new to me. I've assumed they have a new one in the works, but the assumptions of a gunslinger way down in the land of Elvis and earthquakes isn't anything I'd take to the bank...

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/09/05 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
This is interesting news, and it's new to me. I've assumed they have a new one in the works, but the assumptions of a gunslinger way down in the land of Elvis and earthquakes isn't anything I'd take to the bank...
If they don't at some point in the future, they must be folding up shop and hanging up their guns. eek
Posted by: psklenar

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 07:38 AM

S.H.,

Well, if you think back, the Outlaws really took a pounding for announcing and then having to delay the 950. Afterwards, they came right out and said they'd not announce anything new and major until it was ready to ship. We know they are working on several new products for release this year from the last few newsletters. It's very possible one of the things they are working are a new prepro. I expect something will be announced at, or around, the NYC Home Entertainment show ... simply because they've done that several times. But after the 950 release ... I wouldn't hold my breath to find out what's coming. smile

Just another cheap gunslinger's two cents worth,
Posted by: Scott

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 10:59 AM

Hello All,

For the record these are the only official announcements made regarding a new processor:

Excerpt taken from the Dec. 2004 Newsletter
"Finally, before we leave the topic of new products, let us answer any speculation that might arise as the result of the price reduction for the Model 950. It is no secret that we are working on plans for a new preamp/processor; we’ve mentioned such a product before. However, it is way too early to discuss any specifics as to the feature set, and the introduction date has not been determined other than by saying that it will be at some point during 2005. Other than acknowledging that we will eventually have such a product, our only other comment is that the price is still a moving target subject to a final determination of the features, the rising cost of raw materials, particularly steel and copper, and the currency fluctuations that impact the value of the US dollar in the world market. We can say with certainty that the new processor’s price will be higher than that of the Model 950 when it was introduced, but you can rest assured that it will also deliver features and performance that will be as big a breakthrough when it ships as the Model 950 has been from the start – and as it continues to be with the newly reduced price.

OK, we can’t help ourselves. We’ll tempt you with one more hint that those of you who saw our new cable products and the prototype of our Model 790 power amplifier at the Home Entertainment Show in New York might have already figured out. The new processor/preamp will include balanced outputs, which is one of the reasons that the pricing will be substantially above that of the original Model 950 price."

We invite you to stay tuned to your favorite Outlaw channel for updates on all things Outlaw.
Posted by: boblinds

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 12:43 PM

Hah, Gonk! And, again, I say HAH!

New pre/pro confirmation! From Scott!

So let thee go thy way from this time forward and never again doubt the veracity of those of us who live "way down in the land of Elvis and earthquakes."

laugh
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 01:12 PM

Umm... dude. Since when was LA the land of the Big E? Pretty sure that was Memphis. Please note place of residency for Mr. Gonk.

Next time, I'd suggest keeping it simple. Something like, "Burn!"

Of course, that's a lot funnier if you enjoy That 70's Show.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 01:27 PM

Points to Owl's_Warder - L.A. may have earthquakes as well (a little different than the ones the New Madrid fault has been known to reel off every few centuries, of course), but they don't have Graceland!
Posted by: Paratrooper

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 09:16 PM

I hope that the next 7.1 preamp has a lot more features than Balanced Outputs to justify the price above the 950. IMO balanced outputs are not necessary in most home applications. However, I do understand the marketing. When you have an amp with Balanced Inputs, it make sense to have a preamp that matches. It will be very interesting from a pricing stand point, to look at the 1070 for use as a preamp vs the new 7.1 preamp. smile

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 10:37 PM

Balanced output is not useful except for very long cable runs (over 50' or in a very hostile environment such as next to motors). In fact, since additional circuitry is required to implement it, the soncis can actually be worse. It is best to use unbalanced connections unless absolutely required.
Posted by: JT Clark

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/10/05 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Balanced output is not useful except for very long cable runs (over 50' or in a very hostile environment such as next to motors).
What makes several 4,000 lb subwoofers operate? :p wink
Posted by: boblinds

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 12:54 AM

Owl's,

Just goes to show what you know. I was over at the Home Depot the other day to pick up some fireplace logs and Elvis helped me carry them to the car. He's been clerking there for a few weeks. I tipped him a buck and he said, "Thank you very much."

Nice guy.
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 02:25 AM

Elvis says he hopes it also has an i.Link input. wink

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
What makes several 4,000 lb subwoofers operate? :p wink
Huh????? confused confused confused confused
Posted by: psklenar

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 07:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]What makes several 4,000 lb subwoofers operate? :p wink
Huh????? confused confused confused confused [/b]
I don't know, but I sure wouldn't want to be there unless I'd already been the bathroom first! eek

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 07:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]What makes several 4,000 lb subwoofers operate? :p wink
Huh????? confused confused confused confused [/b]
Something has to make those monstrosities in your place move. smile

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 08:09 AM

Quote:
Something has to make those monstrosities in your place move. smile [/QB][/QUOTE]

There are no line level balanced connections anywhere in my system - even equipment such as my ProTools digital audio workstation is run in unbalanced mode. If you're talking about push-pull power amplifier output stages, those are not technically a balanced circuit. A bridged power amp is, but this configuration is used for more power output, not to cancel cable-borne interferrence. In any event, I don't use bridged amplifiers - the subs use a straight push-pull output stage amplifier.
Posted by: silversport

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 11:33 AM

Are you telling me after doing all my research and buying a 950/7100/LFM-1 combo that the Outlaws are going to make an upgrade sometime in the future...man that really burns me up...;-)
Bill

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 02:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] Something has to make those monstrosities in your place move. smile
There are no line level balanced connections anywhere in my system - even equipment such as my ProTools digital audio workstation is run in unbalanced mode. If you're talking about push-pull power amplifier output stages, those are not technically a balanced circuit. A bridged power amp is, but this configuration is used for more power output, not to cancel cable-borne interferrence. In any event, I don't use bridged amplifiers - the subs use a straight push-pull output stage amplifier. [/b]
I'm just giving you crap about your setup again. :p wink Your processing equipment is well away from the subs anyway, isn't it?

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/11/05 02:54 PM

Quote:
[I'm just giving you crap about your setup again. :p wink Your processing equipment is well away from the subs anyway, isn't it?
The run from my preamp to the amplifier/crossover rack is about 12 feet, which is in the opposite end of the room from the mains/subs. The speaker leads are longer at around 30 feet, but they are 12 gauge.
Posted by: Spiker

Re: Outlaw's Next 7.1 Preamp - 03/12/05 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by silversport:
Are you telling me after doing all my research and buying a 950/7100/LFM-1 combo that the Outlaws are going to make an upgrade sometime in the future...man that really burns me up...;-)
Bill
Don’t forget that “bug” factor on new electronics. If there is one and by the time they straighten it out it may be a while.