Popping Sound?

Posted by: wingnut4772

Popping Sound? - 02/13/05 10:58 PM

Sometimes when changing from one component to another, or even channels, my speakers (not sure if it is just center it is so quick) will make a brief popping sound. What the heck is this? It does not happen all the time. Everything is functioning normally otherwise. I have the 950/7100 plugged into a Monster 2500 power conditioner.
Posted by: QQKLTB

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/14/05 12:43 AM

I had this same problem a week ago, Unplug the 950/7100 about one or two minutes then power them up again. That did the trick for me.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/14/05 12:46 AM

Okay I will give it a shot .Thanks
Posted by: MCH

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/14/05 11:30 AM

Had a similar problem with a speaker popping on startup. I was afraid to shutoff my equipment. But I found out it was a bad speaker connection (it was a bad connection at the crossover).

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/14/05 11:49 AM

I spoke to Outlaw and they had me check my interconnects to make sure they were going in the right direction and ,wouldn't ya know.....some were backwards (color me newbie). I will see if that corrects the problem.
Posted by: sraber

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/14/05 03:27 PM

Wingnut4772,
Can you please explain what you mean by "going in the right direction"? I have the feeling that talk about directional interconnects is going to start a large debate...

Thanks,
Simp
Posted by: Scott

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/14/05 06:25 PM

Sraber,

That really shouldn't cause much debate. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it did. wink The directional cables are grounded on one end and not the other. This design is used to keep noise out of the signal path of analog connections. If they are connected in the wrong direction you will literally dump any noise picked up by the cable into the input stage of the connected device.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/14/05 06:47 PM

Scott,
Thanks for posting the response. I am currently using Audioquest Sidewinder interconnects between my Model 950 and Rotel amp. (I ended up buying these because I need the cables pronto and my local dealer gave me a killer price. Given another chance, (and the need for more cables) I'd definitely go with Outlaw interconnects. Like all other Outlaw products, I haven't heard one negative thing about them yet..) Anyway, Audioquest says these are directional as well. To test this, I reversed them. I honestly could not hear any difference at all. They also say that cables have a break-in period. I'm not so sure on that one either. Another debate entirely I suppose.
I realize that due to construction techniques and materials, Outlaw cables and Audioquest cables should not be comared side by side, and that is not my intent here. I was just surprised to hear that the Outlaw cables were in fact directional. not sure why the surprise but oh well.
Well, now I'm just yammering. Thanks again for the response...

Later,
Simp

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/15/05 08:57 AM

Yep. Those pesky little interconnects have arrows on them. Who knew? :p I corrected the 'backwards' ones and I really can not hear a difference but so far no popping.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/15/05 09:11 AM

It's nice to see the results of a good design!!
Posted by: bestbang4thebuck

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/15/05 09:50 AM

I think the word “directional” can be misleading unless you understand why the term is used. The arrow doesn’t indicate that current flow goes only in one direction, but rather is used as a conceptual indication.

There are usually three conductors in such a directional unbalanced audio cable, two insulated conductors inside a ‘flexible tube’ shield. The two inside conductors are connected at both ends, tip and sleeve of the RCA type connectors. The shield is connected to the sleeve at only one end as a ‘drain’ for any captured unwanted electro-magnetic signals reaching the cable that would cause current flow. The desired audio signal travels via the two inner conductors just as well in either cable direction/orientation. The question is, at which end do you want any stray currents to be drained?

If both the source and destination devices provide equally able drain for stray shield currents without interference with the intended signal, then the orientation of the cable is not a concern. If you obtain better rejection of interfering signals by having the cable in one orientation or the other, then choose the better orientation. If in doubt, follow the manufacturer’s instruction.

As to break in, there have been thousands of words posted on this site on that topic, both for different types of equipment and for cables, with a whole spectrum of ‘believers’ in one idea or another. IMHO, irrespective of the usual audiophile publications’ opinion of income-aware ‘experts,’ human acoustic pickup and brain interpretation is likely much more subject to change over time than a properly constructed interconnect made from reasonable materials, whether you paid $20 or $20,000 for that interconnect.

In the end, if the system sounds great, don’t sweat the arguments, just enjoy!

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/15/05 10:16 AM

Here, here!!!

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/16/05 11:42 AM

Okay. I take it back. Still getting the pops. It is just so intermittent I thought it was gone. I have checked all my cabling (fine) and etc. It is seemingly random such as sometimes when I change the channel, switch cds or raise or lower the volume. Everything is the same as when I had the Onkyo 701 hooked up to the 7100. The only difference is the 950. I did unplug it for a while last night when I was checking my cables and then turned it back on to no avail. I did not have this issue with the Onkyo so now I'm wondering if there may be something amiss with my 950 confused
Posted by: MeanGene

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/17/05 01:05 AM

I am getting popping as well, but most of it comes from the Motorola 9012 MOXI DVR. I have not found a way to cure this yet.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/22/05 12:40 PM

I have been trouble shooting with Steve and it seems that it is more likely interference with other things plugged in than my 950. I unplugged a lamp that was on the same wall as my system and that helped a lot but there was still some popping- just not as much or as loud. Then I isolated my satellite cable and made sure it was not touching anything else in the system. This seemed to help also. Last- I made sure that all my interconnects, ac and speaker wires were as isolated as possible. This has , so far, seemed to work.
Posted by: painttoad

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/22/05 09:45 PM

i read on a different post about ceiling fans,just my 2 cents that are worth about a cent and a half by now!

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/22/05 10:29 PM

I have those too . Steve also said that dimmer lights can affect a sound system and I have those but everything is good for now so I do not see needing to switch them out.
Posted by: Lee44

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/25/05 07:26 PM

Getting the popping also, but it seems to be when my HD Tivo changes from PCM to DD. I'm checking my SAT and OTA cables in a few minutes.

Lee

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/26/05 01:27 AM

Replaced the RG6 SAT and OTA cables, bypassed the Mon$ter 3500. No change.

The popping also happens when the 950 switches from PCM to DD on the DVD player also. Doesn't happen when switching from DD to PCM

Also when calibrating the channels using the internal test tone, the RF channel has to be set about 4db higher than the LF to get the same SPL. When watching a DVD movie the RF is definitely too loud. Ran Avia and recalibrated to its test tone and lowered the RF by the 4db, the levels came in fine. (Using a SPL meter).

Just to be sure, I swapped the amp for the mains with the amp for the surrounds, no change in the popping or channel calibration.

My HT equipment is on its own dedicated 20 amp line with everything powered through a Mon$ter HTS 3500. Front projector, 950, 4 two channel amps (100 WPC), DVD player, HD Tivo, sub controller.

I'll go back to trying to isolate the problem later tonight. See if I can find where the issue is coming from.

I'll search through the threads for something specific about switching from PCM to DD.

If I can't come up with a solution, I'll be calling tech support on Monday morning to see if they can help.

Also, seems to take about 5 seconds to switch between PCM > DD or DD > PCM.

Lee

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/26/05 08:18 AM

i get a popping sound when changing cds in my cal delta, but this has been pretty much isolated to the brushes in the drawer motor.
more of a faint crackling sound.very subtle but still there

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/26/05 01:51 PM

This is a definite loud 'pop'. Tried different digital inputs for the DVD and HD Tivo. Tried with only the DVD player hooked up, Tivo only etc. Tried with only one amp at a time.

I'll give tech support a call Monday.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/26/05 10:20 PM

Make sure no ac cords are touching any speaker cables or interconnects. I notice that when I make any changes back there I have to make sure that they are pretty separated or...pop pop pop. That actually has been the biggest cause for me- I think.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/26/05 11:31 PM

sounds like bad connections!

keep away from interconnects!(power cords&speaker cables)that is...research the archives...lot's of useful info there!

wierd things can happen!

if i had pop,pop,pop,i'd shut it down!

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/26/05 11:47 PM

Well, that's what I did, research that is, and now no pop. But it is not always easy to keep everything apart in the sea of wires, cables, etc. I just thought I would share with Lee what worked for me.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/27/05 12:21 AM

it's a hard thing to isolate wires and cables smile

i hate it!

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/27/05 12:26 AM

Ha! No..we love this stuff laugh

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/27/05 04:27 AM

It only pops when switching from PCM to DD. Doesn't pop when switching from PCM to DTS.
Doesn't pop when switching from DD or DTS to PCM.
Doesn't pop at any other time.

The DD and DTS decoders are working great, much improvement over my old Onkyo.

And, I'm searching.

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/27/05 11:03 AM

Mine did a lot of that too when switching from a PCM channel to a DD channel. Also when I would change CDS from SACD to regular ole' CDS. Removing a lamp on the same wall helped a lot and then isolating the cables as I mentioned seemed to pretty much take it away. Try calling Steve at Outlaw. He was very helpful with this for me.

PS. I also have the Monster 2500

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/27/05 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wingnut4772:
Ha! No..we love this stuff laugh
yeah, you're right,i lied ! shocked

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/27/05 08:34 PM

Okay I am going nuts. I was watching Independence Day on a local channel and just my LR surround was popping...during the movie.....and-seemingly-only on that channel. I went to the drawing board behind the magic curtain to adjust wires and it just laughed at me. What else can I do?
Posted by: xdgwing

Re: Popping Sound? - 02/28/05 11:44 PM

wingnut4772...I share your pain. I was talking with Steve on Friday of last week (he is very good) and I believe that I have three seperate problems: The first is the popping, like you describe above. The second is a loud thump when I turn on / off the system and the third hisssssssssssss.

Based on Steve's advice, I fixed the thump! You need to have your ICBM always on. Don't switch it on during power up or down. Also I have a Paradigm crossover circuit that also liek to stay up all night...

the popping sounds are last on my list. Hopefully you will all figure it out soon.

the hisssssssssss, is a wierd one. I was pretty certain that it was NOT 60 cycle hum, but I am not sure now. I pulled EVERY wire out of my system and began to build it up from the speaker back. So I had the speaker connected to the amp. That's it. Turn on the power and HISSSSSSSSSSSS.
I tried all of my amps (Outlaw M200's X 2, Marantz MA200 & MA150's X 6). Funny thing is that the Outlaw and the Marants MA200 are rock solid quiet in this test. It is only the MA150's. I will be trying to see if the AC power has been swapped (out of phase). I had this happen a long time ago, but since we have polarized plugs, I did not think of this until now.

The reason I bring this up is that this extra (voltage, whether AC or DC) may be contributing to the issue of the popping. I do nto think that it is the only source for the popping, but may be a primary culprit.

I will know more in a day or so....

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/01/05 03:22 AM

Talked to Steve this morning (Monday AM) and got some things to try out.

Won't be able to get to them until Wednesday.

I'll let everyone know,
Lee

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/02/05 03:05 PM

Update: 2 problems.

First, nothing wrong with my custom cables.

1. I have two Toshiba SD-4900 DVD players. Both of them cause a POP when switching from PCM to DD. Installed an old Sony 8500 DVD player with both coax and optical audio, no POPS on either output.

Off to visit my favorite a/v store. Was thinking about a new DVD player for the HT anyway. The 4900's both work great on the 32" direct view upstairs, one can be a spare.

2. A grounding issue on the SAT feeds to the HD Tivo causing the same POP when switching from PCM to DD. Disconnected both SAT feeds and played back some recorded video, both PCM and DD, no POPS until the SAT feeds were hooked back up. The grounding blocks are a rats nest. OTA, Cable (broadband) and 4 SAT feeds. One hooked to the pipe from the underground power, two hooked to the grounding rod and three not hooked to anything.

Got the 950 dialed in. Using the Cirrus (sp) for 7.1. Sounds pretty good. Watched/Listened to Eagles Hell Freezes Over (DTS) and John Fogerty Premonition DD.

Lee
Posted by: xdgwing

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/02/05 07:22 PM

Lee44,

Can you talk a bit more about the grounding problems and your solution(s)?

I have VOOM + Comcast cable + HTPC all in there as well....

dgwing

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/02/05 11:11 PM

I find that my Sony Dvd/SACD player and my Sat. are giving me the most problems too but I am not in a position to replace them and really don't want to. I have Voom also...how do I check the ground on this and if it is incorrect can I fix it? Steve is replacing my 950 but I am not convinced that will solve the problem.

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/03/05 01:16 AM

I've got to call Steve in the AM again.

Not doing so good. Bought a new Yamaha 550 DVD, did the same thing. Exchanged it for a Sony 775 DVD/SACD, did the same thing. Store took it back but didn't want to do this again so they loaned me a VERY NICE Yamaha 2300MK2 DVD/SACD/DVD-A, same thing. What a sweet unit. I don't even know what it costs, got to be expensive.

All had coax and optical digital audio. Went through all the isolation things, multiiple/multiple times.

Poked my old Onkyo 787 (used as a pre/pro only) back into the rack and everything works, got the Tosh 4900 DVD back in too. All back to original. The Tivo and the 4900 are not popping.

Spent 14 hours today, haven't slept since 4pm yesterday. Giving up for now.

Very frustrating, I know these things work, too many people have them and are happy.

Might just be my overall setup,
Lee

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/03/05 08:55 AM

I know your frustration. I can't isolate anymore. I hope the replacement takes care of it . I have hope since I never had this before with virtually the same set up but just with a diferent receiver and we seem to be the few with this problem. My Onkyo was cool as a pre/pro too but I sold it so I can not place it back for now. The 950 sounds so much better so I would hate it if it just was not compatible with my set up for whatever reason. I am not looking forward to shipping this one back frown . Do you think that our speakers are ok?

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/03/05 09:44 AM

Quote:
Do you think that our speakers are ok?
I was pretty careful with the volume but did pop them a time or two. I don't think I hurt anything.

As to the SAT/Cable grounding. Our power is underground. I found that the cable guy when he upgraded our coax used the underground electrical conduit. Two of the SAT feeds are properly grounded to the ground rod, two were not grounded at all, looks like they were grounded to the rod but came off.

Of the four legs of the SAT feed, one going to the Tivo in the HT and one going to the Tivo upstairs were not grounded.

I'm correcting all the grounds later today. I don't think the cable coax was not a factor in this, it does not go into the HT, only into our office and is used for braodband internet only. But I'm still correcting it.

Lee

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/03/05 08:41 PM

I also notice that I get the 'static cling pop' when I am doing channel calibration. The white noise goes from one speaker to the next with a little pop to send it off. And for some strange reason, sometimes when I touch my cd player I get a little shock-like static electricity. Not always but that is something that I definitely took notice of. Again, never had this with the Onkyo.
If the replacement 950 does not fare any better, I am afraid I will have to say adieu for now and get another pre/pro. Any suggestions for one that will match with my 7100 so I can begin researching? Just in case frown

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 10:35 AM

i went through the "touch it get shocked" scene, can't say this will help the pop problem you have but should cure the shock woes.

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000543

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 10:44 AM

Thanks Painttoad but I am doubtful I have a humidity shortage in Miami Florida laugh . I appreciate the help though...it does seem like a static electricity type thing going on. Even stranger, when rearranging my cables (again) I got a slight shock from the prongs of the ac cord of the Cd player...and it was NOT plugged in!Not even close to being plugged in. That was a little creepy.

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 12:39 PM

nope i agree,no shortage of humidity in fl.(lived in daytona 4 10 years :p )

the shock from the cd player cord boggles me,i could MAYBE understand from an amp cord.....
Posted by: dutch

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 12:44 PM

I had a similar problem with popping. In my case,
I was on a circuit that also connected to my
kitchen fluresant light. Switching plugs fixed.
My amp also made a popping noise when
it switched on thru the 950. It took unplugging
the 950 and reseating the trigger connections.

I think you may have already tried this?
Posted by: dutch

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 12:53 PM

Sound a though you definitely have a ground problem.
Remember, the 950 doesn't have the grounded type
of plug. I will bet your Onkyo does, my Integra
did. Didn't ou say you had the Monster power
trip? I would think that would show a ground fault.

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 12:57 PM

I have the HTS 2500 and everything looks fine. I am not getting a hum but , come to think of it, the Onkyo did have a ground-(I think). Should I be running to Radio Shack?

I have tested EVERYTHING on this circuit. I even disconnected my ceiling fan and changed out my dimmer switches. POP. If nothing else I am getting quite an education ....the plug idea is the only thing I have not tried. Is there some sort of adaptor that I can get and see if that works?

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 01:11 PM

when i had the "shock factor" going on i noticed my 1050 only had a 2 prong plug.as posted i connected a small lead from 1050 to b&k amp as a ground strap.can't say this will do you anygood,it did me!also out of 9 components the 1050 was the only one to shock me.

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wingnut4772:
And for some strange reason, sometimes when I touch my cd player I get a little shock-like static electricity. Not always but that is something that I definitely took notice of. Again, never had this with the Onkyo.
frown
i'm reaching,and probably will never figure out myself why the pop,pop...but did you have the cd plugged into an outlet on the back of the onkyo?

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 02:13 PM

No . Straight in the Monster. Everything was the same except for the 950. I have actually been researching the Rotel 1066 -just in case- and there have been popping reports there too. Have you had a chance to compare them or have you heard that also?

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/04/05 02:16 PM

have not compared or heard,sorry.

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/05/05 07:48 AM

wingnutt,
I did a side by side comparo of the Rotel 1066, 1068, and the Outlaw 950. From a sound quality stand point, the 950 wins hands down. You can read my comments (under the username simpton) on this here: Rotel 1066/1068 vs. Outlaw950

later,
simp

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/05/05 10:28 AM

Thanks for that Sraber. I am in love with my 950 (popping aside) I am just venting. But if the replacement pops I will have to see what else there is to match up with my 7100 and LFM.

I also tried plugging the 950 into a Monster strip with a grounded plug and then plugging that into the HTS 2500.(Hey! I am desperate here :p ) Nothing is working. The ONLY thing that seemed to lessen the pop was separating all my cables and wires. Believe me when I tell you that now they are in different zip codes. The popping is not as loud but there nonetheless.

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/06/05 11:31 AM

Wing....

Have you tried running a ground from the Monster ground jack to each component? Daisy chain it. Just curious if it helps your situation.

Lee

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/13/05 07:09 PM

I got the replacement 950 and unfortunately the popping is still there. For whatever reason the 950 is allergic to my set up.

While I was waiting for the replacement 950, I ordered a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 and set it up. It sounds excellent with my 7100 and it is extraordinarily quiet.

Outlaw customer service of course is top notch and I want to thank Steve especially for all of his help.

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/13/05 07:14 PM

wing,sorry,man!you are having no luck brother!

ever feel like totally gutting everything and starting over?been there(still there)done that(still doing it).

wish i had the magic answer!

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/13/05 07:57 PM

Ha..yes I do but I gotta say the Sherwood sounds amazing...now if I can just get my car audio straight I will be in business :p

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/13/05 08:05 PM

cool,haven't heard sherwood for years,glad u r happy! smile
Posted by: poffypoffa

Re: Popping Sound? - 03/25/05 03:27 PM

Just thought I'd add that I'm getting popping as well, when I change channels on my new Motorola dual-tuner DVR cable box. Didn't have this problem with the old single-tuner cable box. It's a very quiet pop, like static, and not that big a deal.

The DVR is having it's own sound issues (often looses sound entirely when recording), so right now I think it's related to the source, and not the 950. In program (once the digital audio locks on) I have no sound problems.

I will try the unplug trick and see if it helps.