Help with audio on 950

Posted by: cedman1

Help with audio on 950 - 12/22/04 06:51 PM

I'm looking to upgrade a Marantz AV-550. I would like to get something with that does music as well as movies with very above average results. I was turned onto outlaw a long time ago and really thought about using the 1050 as a HT pre-amp. I figured that it had to do a better job with 2-channel than what I had. Well, a lot of time has passed and I'm really ready to make the jump for a 950. My only concern is how well the unit does with music. I'd be interested in your experience with the unit in regards to music.

My current setup:
[HT]
Marantz AV-550 <-- Hope to replace
Accurus Amp
Klipsch speakers

{ZONE 2}
[audio only]
NAD Amp
PSB and Pinnacle speakers

Thank in advance for your thoughts.

Cedric
Posted by: painttoad

Re: Help with audio on 950 - 12/22/04 09:22 PM

i use my 1050 as a pre for my mains(it powers my center and surrounds) and i like it very much with music,i'm more music than movie but it does just fine with dd.and you can really liven up a dull source with "natural dsp" which i think i heard the 950 doesn't have,but after re-reading your post maybe you are asking about the 950 music mode.

Re: Help with audio on 950 - 12/22/04 10:02 PM

Yes, I was interested in the 950. However thanks for the response. I'm just glad that someone else more inclined to play music purchased a unit and really enjoys the output.

Re: Help with audio on 950 - 12/22/04 10:37 PM

cold on the lake tonight?

Re: Help with audio on 950 - 12/22/04 11:06 PM

Oh yeah! The only reason I'm still on the computer this late is my dreaded walk home :-).

Re: Help with audio on 950 - 01/05/05 04:43 PM

Well, I've decided to give the 30-day policy a try and see if I like what I hear. Thanks, to everyone on this forum for your help with this particular question and many others that I did not have to ask because someone else already did.

I will let you know my impressions through my trail period.

Re: Help with audio on 950 - 01/05/05 05:05 PM

bet it's cold on the lake again,huh?
njoy the new toy!
should keep you out of the cold 4 awhile.
Posted by: The Spatula

Re: Help with audio on 950 - 01/06/05 01:51 PM

The 950 is very good with music for the money. It will beat any receiver for musicality and stand toe to toe with some of the lower end pre-amps.

I do listen to music through a 950/7100 combo on occasion and the truth is that I have heard systems that were better, but at a significant difference in price. I have also heard systems MUCH WORSE at twice the price!!!!

The bottom line, it is a very neutral and satisfying product for music, especially for the money and the fact that it is an AV pre-amp.

If you have a respectably High-End source, Turn Table, CD Player etc..., use the By-Pass mode for the best results with music.