950 replacement

Posted by: kennyjr748

950 replacement - 10/12/04 01:30 AM

hello,
does anyone know when Outlaw is planning to replace their 950 pre amp? I need a new preamp, but I'm worried that the 950 will soon be outdated and replaced by a newer model.

Thanks,
Kenny
Posted by: gonk

Re: 950 replacement - 10/12/04 07:52 AM

Outlaw has announced the Model 1070 receiver, which replaces the already-discontinued Model 1050 and is expected around the end of the year. There has been no announcement regarding a replacement for the 950, and considering development times for such a sophisticated product and the products that we already know are in design now (the 1070, the RR2150 stereo receiver, and the Model 790 amp) it is likely that the 950's replacement is still at least a year off. Don't hold me to it, because I'm just guessing, but I'd suspect that their next generation pre/pro is probably closer to 18-24 months out.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links
Posted by: kennyjr748

Re: 950 replacement - 10/13/04 02:45 AM

wow- that's a long time considering I need something sooner than later. Any opinions on a 950/amp set up versus the receiver? I guess I could get the 1070 when it comes out and replace it with the separates when the 950 replacement comes out.

Re: 950 replacement - 10/13/04 07:51 AM

JeffDavis's recent thread might be of interest to you - he replaced a Yamaha receiver with the 950/770 combo and was very pleased with the result.
Posted by: Cadboy

Re: 950 replacement - 10/13/04 10:48 AM

I like it, especially the "last post by" and time info displayed.

I was trying to get on yesterday while the changes were being made, and was anxious to see what was being done!

Oops! this was meant for the thread regarding the updated forum!
Posted by: Alex Prosak

Re: 950 replacement - 10/14/04 04:56 PM

Kenny,

I sent you a PM.

Alex
Posted by: The Spatula

Re: 950 replacement - 10/15/04 05:03 PM

About the difference between reciever vs. seperates.

It really depends on what your personal needs are. A top rated pre and power amp, like the 950/7100 combo, will almost always have a more dynamic sound and power reserve than even some of the best receivers. If you have extremely efficient speakers and your budget is a higher priority than overall atmosphere and sound, go for the receiver. If your speakers are less efficient and you want to have a more "theatre like sound presence" seperates are the only way to go.
Posted by: analogmusic

Re: 950 replacement - 10/16/04 11:40 PM

Hi folks, my first post here, but have been following the forum for some time. I have just finished a one year construction project in China. Coming home on Saturday, Oct 23. Have a stock pile of components for my next home theater, but need a preamp/processor. Wow, maybe two years on the 950 replacement. Can't wait that long. The 950 is a well accepted component. There seem to be work arounds for the few quirks it has. I will make a decision next week, but looks like a new 950 may be heading my way soon.

Gary

Re: 950 replacement - 10/16/04 11:52 PM

Gary - Welcome to the forum, and an early "welcome home." The 950 is a nice piece of gear, and if you pick one up I suspect you'll enjoy it. Since you've been following the forum for a while, you know that you can pitch any questions you have our way.