950 Hiss

Posted by: readster

950 Hiss - 02/18/04 09:53 AM

Hey guys, I've read alot about the earlier hiss problem with the 950, and that there was a fix implemented in the earlier models. I've purchased my 950 about a month ago, and have noticed that when i get to approx. -10db to +10db, i notice a hiss coming from my mains. Is this not supposed to happen ? I would assume that a certain amount of hiss is normal, when the amp and preamp are wide open. Please let me know, what you guys think. Thanks.
Posted by: gonk

Re: 950 Hiss - 02/18/04 10:17 AM

The hiss that was once a source of great debate for the 950 was independent of volume -- it was as audible at -70dB as it was at +10dB. What you are encountering is a different beast. There will always be some hiss in a system when the volume is at the upper end of the range (such as the -10 to +10 range of the volume control), but you may also be picking up some interference in your wiring. You might check to see if there are any power cords routed too close to interconnects or speaker cables, and if there are, try to re-arrange things to provide some separation.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: readster

Re: 950 Hiss - 02/18/04 10:24 AM

Cool, Thanks for the info. !!!