Test tone frequency?

Posted by: DMF

Test tone frequency? - 01/14/04 06:00 PM

I notice that the LFM-1 manual quotes the low-end roll-off characteristics of the RadioShack SPL meter, and says to compensate the reading for the frequency of the test tone when calibration.

What is the freq of the 950 LFE test tone?
Posted by: soundhound

Re: Test tone frequency? - 01/14/04 06:41 PM

It is not a discrete frequency but filtered pink noise, which contains all frequencies within the LFE range with equal energy per octave. What this means with regard to the RadioShack SPL meter when using the 950's test tone is that there is nothing you can do except set the sub for the indicated SPL reading and call it good.
Posted by: DMF

Re: Test tone frequency? - 01/15/04 01:17 AM

Thanks. The LFE level *sounds* about right. I appreciate a tight bass, but hate a pushy mix. Glad to know that the numbers match what my ears say.
Posted by: steves

Re: Test tone frequency? - 01/15/04 11:16 AM

Your manual might be referring to THESE RS meter adjustments to compensate for its inaccuracies at the lower frequencies.
Posted by: bossobass

Re: Test tone frequency? - 01/16/04 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
It is not a discrete frequency but filtered pink noise, which contains all frequencies within the LFE range with equal energy per octave. What this means with regard to the RadioShack SPL meter when using the 950's test tone is that there is nothing you can do except set the sub for the indicated SPL reading and call it good.

WOW. This answer is dead-on correct, and as perfectly stated as any white paper could have explained it.

SH, you are the man.