I think I found the next 950

Posted by: harp795

I think I found the next 950 - 12/02/03 11:09 PM

While glancing through my Audio Advisor catalog, I noticed the familiar Outlaw 950 front panel display (not to mention the remote and rear mounted power button) on an ADCOM GTP-880 7.1-Channel preamplifier/Processor. I think we may have a glance at the next generation 950. This piece seems to have updated bass management, broader connection capabililties, improved video switching capabilitites. The Adcom website has very little detail on the unit. More information is listed in the aforementioned publication's website. I'd love to get my hands on the next generation processor from Outlaw!!

[This message has been edited by harp795 (edited December 02, 2003).]
Posted by: surroundophile

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/03/03 10:44 AM

Yes, I saw that too in that catologue. The front display is the same. Then I looked at the rear picture.....yep, there's the analog bass management switch! Has the same remote too. Differences: Adcom proprietary 7.1m2 DSP, improved video switching/quality, and TWO analog 5.1 inputs (one is labled DVD-a using RCA jacks, the second labled SACD on a DB-25 connector, with front panel selection). I don't think it's the "next generation", but an "Adcom-improved" model. It has re-arrange front panel controls, and more rear panel input options. But the shocker is the price...$2395 versus $795 for the 950. I'll keep my 950 with my outboard 5.1 input switch box for universal player/quadraphonic system input selection thank you.
Posted by: surroundophile

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/03/03 10:55 AM

Two more things I missed, it has RDS added to the FM tuner, and the big GREEN button is gone, now it's black with a red pilot lite in the center.
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/04/03 01:12 AM

The ATI 8500 and maybe even the 6500 and 7500 are also all based on the same Eastech platform as the 950.

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/05/03 02:11 AM

Oops, just because I'm looking at ATI amps, I took a quick look at those ATI pre/pros. To me, it looks like maybe only the 6500 is based on the Eastech platform. The others *might* be different as the config of inputs and outputs on the back are completely different, and even include balanced outputs. I think the 7500 even says "made in US" on the back, whereas the 950 is made in Taiwan.
Posted by: DaleB

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/05/03 11:17 PM

More Eastech platforms used here! Pre/pro and 7 ch amps.

http://www.fosgateaudionics.com/products/FAP_T1.asp
Posted by: MeanGene

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/06/03 12:06 PM

Do you think they will add DVI or HDMI switching to a pre/pro? or will the dasiy channing of HDMI take care of that?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited December 06, 2003).]
Posted by: alfredo mora

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/07/03 03:17 PM

I hope Outlaw adds the video screen like the Fosgate to the next Pre/Pro.
Posted by: gonk

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/07/03 04:54 PM

I would actually prefer not to have the screen -- especially considering the price tags that most such pre/pros have been wearing (the Fosgate version of the Easgate design lists for $3000, or at least it did when it was announced). It's a mighty cool gizmo, but for most systems I don't see a benefit. Outlaw's done a very good job in the past of allowing complete setup and operation from a simple front panel display (effectively eliminating the need for an OSD for users relying solely on component video connections), and the majority of users have their equipment alongside their display. Granted, those users with their gear in an equipment closet or a separate room of some sort might want a display at the rack for very practical reasons, but why stick everybody with the cost of buying one? Just include a spare monitor output (the 950's composite video monitor out could suffice, for that matter) so that the users with remote equipment racks could hook up a small display. It wouldn't cost much different, would probably cost less.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/07/03 05:38 PM

My opinion is also no screen. Looks fancy, but a buddy of mine says it's distracting. Sure, you can turn it off, but then what function does it serve? I want to pay for sound quality and video switching (and upconversion) quality, not gizmos.
Posted by: rghinton

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/07/03 07:27 PM

No screen!

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/08/03 01:08 AM

More Eastech platforms used here! Pre/pro and 7 ch amps.

http://www.fosgateaudionics.com/products/FAP_T1.asp

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/08/03 01:11 AM

The only potential advantage of the screen would be for closed-circuit video.

Want to see who is at the front door while not leaving your seat?

Small advantage for the added cost best spent elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by DaleB (edited December 08, 2003).]

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/09/03 01:50 AM

One thing actually the display would be good for: navigating DVD-A menus from the player w/o turning on the TV. But that's too small of a benefit IMO.
Posted by: alfredo mora

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/09/03 10:45 AM

ok,one model with and another without screen.
Posted by: harp795

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/09/03 11:28 AM

I don't mind if it has a screen, as long as the price is right. I'd rather see the R & D put into sound quality and upgradability.
Posted by: jacket_fan

Re: I think I found the next 950 - 12/10/03 10:13 PM

Front projection users would find the screen very useful when navigating DVD-A and SACD menus. Allows not having to fire the projector up when you are just listening to music. It is something as a projector owner that is attractive to me.

Reminds me of my brother in laws Mark Levinson unit, and he does have it connected to cameras at the front and back of his house. Pretty cool gizmo.

I realize I am in the minority on this, but there may be some front projector users who have this feature high on their priority list.

------------------
No matter where you go, there you are.

mj