Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections?

Posted by: mercertj

Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections? - 09/18/09 10:55 PM

Hi guys. Just got a PS3, hooked it up, and have some questions on the audio connections.

I have the 970/7125 combo, And a 7.1 speaker setup with Paradigm speakers plus a Definitive sub, with a Vizio 47" LCD. I hooked up the PS3 w/ HDMI to the TV, and used the optical cable to connect to the 970.

Apparently only 5.1 sound is suporrted through the optical connection, and to get the 7.1 sound you need the HDMI cable from the PS3 to the 970, which of course, doesn't have them.

I was going to run the HDMI to the DVI input on the 970.

NOW- Will this give me better sound than the standard RCA connections? I am completely lost and need some help! Much thanks.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections? - 09/18/09 11:28 PM

DVI is video only and is equivalent to HDMI in picture quality. The optical input to the 970 is better than the RCA even if it is 5.1

Re: Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections? - 09/19/09 12:31 AM

Thanks for the response. But there is an audio out for HDMI on the PS3. Should I use this connection instead of the optical cable then?

I have an HDMI to DVI converter.
Posted by: sluggo

Re: Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections? - 09/19/09 02:41 AM

It doesn't matter. The DVI standard does not support audio at all, only video, so converting HDMI to DVI drops digital audio info entirely. Your current setup is the best you can get with the 990 and PS3.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections? - 09/19/09 02:01 PM

Use the optical. HDMI is the best audio option for the PS3, but the 970 doesn't support HDMI. After HDMI, optical is the best choice. You can use PLIIx to get 7.1 from 5.1 this way.

Re: Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections? - 09/21/09 06:25 PM

Ok cool. I appreciate the responses and have the PS3 and Cable box hooked up w/ optical cables. Sounds awesome!

Is there any purpose of hooking the TV to the 970? HDMI to DVI input?

I'm not sure why there are DVI inputs on the preamp. (I'm new to the home theater setups)
Posted by: gonk

Re: Need help: HDMI/Optical/RCA connections? - 09/21/09 08:06 PM

The DVI inputs are to allow the unit to switch up to two DVI or HDMI video sources automatically to a single DVI or HDMI input on the TV. If you only have one HDMI source, it doesn't benefit you any.