XLR and bi-amping: How?!

Posted by: tryrook

XLR and bi-amping: How?! - 04/13/07 02:00 AM

Ok, I'm just about set to pull the trigger on buying 8 of the 2200s to run my four channels in bi-amp configuration (no center channel). I have a Sunfire TGII pre/pro that I am likely going to hang onto that has five balanced outputs (for a five channel set up).

My questions are - is it worth going to the XLR connectors over RCA? And if so, is there such a beast as an XLR Y-adapter so that I can split each channel to run to two separate amps? Where can I get something like this? Is it worth going "audiophile" or does the very nature of balanced connectors basically preclude the need for high priced esoteric cables?

Thoughts appreciated!!
Posted by: gonk

Re: XLR and bi-amping: How?! - 04/13/07 03:14 AM

There was a lengthy and quite interesting debate regarding the question of balanced vs unbalanced connections starting around here and continued in this thread . Bottom line: there's no clear concensus for short distances, although for long runs it's commonly considered reasonable to lean toward balanced.

There are XLR splitters. About half way down this page you'll see this . Other examples are here and here . The Cobant Y Splitter can be had with one female XLR and two male XLR's for $27.50.