2 ohm loads?

Posted by: Doc777

2 ohm loads? - 05/31/17 01:10 PM

Hi all. I just picked up a 755 for my home theater renovation project. I have 4 JBL 10 inch subwoofers I need to run off 2 channels of my 755. Each subwoofer is rated at 4 ohms but actually tested as 6.5 ohms. If I run them in series the amp will see 13 ohms. But if I run them parallel I am looking at 2 or 3 ohms. Outlaw tech-support recommended a four ohm load minimum but I do not think I will be abusing the amp with high volume levels. One person said the model 750 was 2 ohm stable so I need your input / experience on my problem. I really don't want to add a third amp unless I have to. Thanks all.
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: 2 ohm loads? - 06/01/17 11:37 AM

If you run those in parallel isn't it about 3.4 ohms? That's pretty close to four. If you want to dial it in closer, you could drop a one ohm or so resistor in series with each sub to bring up the resistance of each as close to 8 as you can get them. That'd put the parallel configuration right at four ohms. I'm not sure if there are performance issues for the subs with doing that but electrically, it'll dial that circuit in where you want it. I'm sure someone with more experience playing with these sort of things will chime in with a more informed solution.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 2 ohm loads? - 06/06/17 11:48 AM

The 4 ohm rating is the nominal rating which will be what the amp sees with the speaker in use. To be safe I would use the nominal rating for the hookup. I would connect one speaker on a channel and crank it up and check the amps temperature. Then connect the second speaker on each channel, crank it up and make sure the temperature isn't excessive.
Posted by: Doc777

Re: 2 ohm loads? - 06/14/17 12:34 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciate your help. Still laying down the granite tiles. Building subs after that.