Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21734 - 11/20/07 03:35 PM The Warriors (Ultimate Director's Cut)
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
What can I say about this movie? It's so bad, it's good. I don't know how I missed this little gem when I was growing up (it was released in 1979). But somehow I did -- even on cable. I found a copy cheap cheap about 2 weeks ago and sat down with it last night. I'm still chuckling about it this morning.

First, since this is the favorite demos board, I should note the video transfer is very good. Upconverted on the Oppo, it looked really sharp. Another bonus is that the audio is available in 5.1, which I've found is somewhat uncommon for a movie of this era.

As to the movie itself, the whole thing is like a bad Michael Jackson video. Basically, it's a movie about warring gangs. The principle gang, "The Warriors," are falsely accused of killing some grand poobah gang figure named Cyrus ("Can you dig it?!"), and they must battle their way back to their home turf. Appropriately enough, Coney Island. Along the way, they encounter gang after gang.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I think "gang member," it conjours up images of those tattooed thugs you see in prison documentaries. In comparison, these guys look like a combination of drag queens, Broadway dancers, and rejects from Kiss. All the fights and chase scenes are so ultra-choreographed, you keep expecting the song "Beat It" to cue in the background.

There's also a number of great, cheesy one liners you can add to your personal arsenal to share with spouses, co-workers, or with family members over Thanksgiving Dinner, such as:

"I'm going to get some strange wool."

"I know they're on my ass ... but now they know I know it!"

"I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle"

And my favorite: "Warriors ... come out to playeeeyaaay!!!!"

If you want to relive the early, early days of MTV, do yourself a favor and pop this sucker in your DVD player. You won't regret it.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#21735 - 11/20/07 08:54 PM Re: The Warriors (Ultimate Director's Cut)
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
You're right "so bad, its good" regardless, we just get out of the chair. I know my younger brother was freaked out about the DJ and her lips, still today, he won't watch the movie.

#21736 - 11/20/07 10:23 PM Re: The Warriors (Ultimate Director's Cut)
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
I went and saw this at the theater when it came out!
Lot's of fist fights in the parking lot after the move let out! Teenagers

#21737 - 11/20/07 11:06 PM Re: The Warriors (Ultimate Director's Cut)
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Quote:
I know my younger brother was freaked out about the DJ and her lips, still today, he won't watch the movie.
LOL! I forgot about those freaky lips. My wife got grossed out whenever they flashed to the DJ scenes.
System Pics

#21738 - 11/21/07 03:59 AM Re: The Warriors (Ultimate Director's Cut)
monkeyplasm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tennessee
"I'll shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle"

AJAX!!!!!!!!!

#21739 - 11/21/07 04:55 AM Re: The Warriors (Ultimate Director's Cut)
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
I never saw this film but it's based on a Greek classic.
Wikipedia: The Anabasis (by Xenophon) was the (loosely-adapted) basis for Sol Yurick's novel The Warriors, which was later adapted into a 1979 cult movie of the same name. Both versions relocate Xenophon's narrative to the gang scene of New York. After a gang meet ends with an assassination, the falsely accused Warriors gang have to get home to Coney Island by traveling through territory controlled by hostile gangs who include The Lizzies (Sirens), the Baseball Furies, The Orphans, The Boppers, The Hi-Hats and even The Hoplites.
Me again: The real "Anabasis" describes the return march of 10,000 Spartans to Greece through hostile territory after the Persian king Cyrus (yup, same name) who'd hired them to fight in his army was assassinated. "Hoplite" was the name for a Spartan infantryman - the toughest of the tough. The "300" who fought and died under Leonidas at Thermopylae were hoplites.
Now maybe I'll see the film out of curiosity.

#21740 - 11/26/07 08:12 PM Re: The Warriors (Ultimate Director's Cut)
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

psyprof1:

Interesting. I recently saw "300" and had read about how it was based upon the Battle of Thermopylae. I did not know there was a similar historical basis for "The Warriors."
System Pics

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts