Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21185 - 11/12/03 01:18 PM Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Once Upon a Time in the West
[Finally] Available DVD DD 5.1: November 18, 2003
Sergio Leone’s with a Ennio Morricone Score.
Henry Fonda sleek and vicious. Charles Bronson as “Harmonica.” Jason Robards (my favorite role for this actor) and Gabriele Ferzetti. Claudia Cardinale, who looks luscious in the best sense of European Sex Goddess (once you excavate past the mascara)

I mentioned this flic before at Outlaw, if you’ve never heard of it but admired “The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly” this is a must have, must see purchase.

Put it in, when you’re yearning for those slow… drawn out… eyebrow close-ups, - as only Spaghetti Westerns do it.
Don’t loose patience during the opening 10-min scene consisting of 3 men waiting for a train. Remember novelist Graham Greene praised this film for its "almost balletic quality”

Watch for the early scene of a family preparing for a wedding celebration. From the moment the Cicadas fall silent, you’re riveted.
Stunning surreal vistas of Monument Valley. Several latterly famous young directors were inspired by this movie and for good reason. The quintessential American West painted as art by an passionate Italian.

#21186 - 11/12/03 01:24 PM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
One of the truly great film Westerns. Everything that Lena says times two.

However, Lena, I can't place the musical cue you're alluding to in your post title.

Plus, if you see this movie and enjoy it, I highly recommend the recent DVD release of "Once Upon A Time in America." It's Leone's "take" on American organized crime mythology and similarly blessed by his operatic sense of time and occasion.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited November 12, 2003).]

#21187 - 11/12/03 02:01 PM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
Desperado

However, Lena, I can't place the musical cue you're alluding to in your post title.

I think I mixed up my westerns, Is that my poor humbonic's of "THE G-TB-TU?!! I think it IS. That's the ringer my cell phone is set as - reflecting business days - good-bad-ugly.

I know it's not Harmonicas' refrain. Will try to edit title.
I'm stuck ...edit wont' let me into new topic line!

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited November 12, 2003).]

#21188 - 11/12/03 05:09 PM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Thanks Lena, this is one of my all time favorites...How would you rate the quality of this DVD(video and sound)transfer?

#21189 - 11/12/03 05:52 PM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
Desperado

Steves, Not out till 18th, I have not previewed personally. I just noticed a review, which I skimmed but did not read in entirety at HTF announcing the release.

I believe the reviewer may have given it a 5/5 for transfer? (Lets hope). I remember a sentence, that the 5.1 mix was well done, and those who opted for the original mono channel (included) would be pleased with its quality. I got a fleeting impression the reviewer did not class it as a digitally remastered masterpiece, but as adequately and pleasingly laid down.

Will be checking my local B&N’s that week, they are the likeliest (if not most inexpensive) to find something in stock readily. This movie played my local satellite a few times this last year. What is it about the Italian Western soundtracks? They are (for an old recording) very different from others of their day. I believe I read that during filming of this movie (if not all-Italian Westerns) no audio is recorded during filming, - all sound is dubbed in later.

Maybe SH could shed some light on why Leone’s (to me) have a distinctive sound? I could see him demanding EXTREME and novel use of suround effects for home replay if avaliable during his day. (could you envision how he'd direct how he wants a bullet to sound ricochetting through a 7-speaker system! ) During Satellite feed, I remember thinking he tends to emphasis certain audio for effect at a seeming suddenly much higher dB level. Once late at night, I had the volume at medium level and the scene switched, opening with a train whistle. It had the same effect as a woman suddenly screaming in your ear. Ouch.

#21190 - 11/12/03 06:11 PM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Steves, there's a positive review of the disc at Digital Bits .

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#21191 - 11/13/03 11:42 AM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
steves Offline
Desperado

I will be looking for the DVD next week, Lena!. Appreciate the link, gonk. Seems the site is down at this time- I'll check back later.

#21192 - 11/20/03 09:37 PM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
Desperado

Its fantastic, I will when time allows be sure to log my compliment and Kudo’s to the studio for getting it out, and taking the time to do it well.

In the middle of major bedlam right now, but got my copy in last night, put it in (just to) work by, and was so riveted by the video quality that the husband sat down and we turned out lights and watched the whole thing with the 5.1 track. Fully intended to flip between the original restored mono track and the new multi channel, but were so engrossed by what seemed a ‘new’ movie we sat straight through and never touched the sound.

This movie was before my time, and I had never seen it in widescreen, - or at anything other than a bad OTA or SAT feed. The DVD grade level resolution was sharp (can see every wrinkle in those eye close-ups) colors vibrant and the Monument valley vistas appear to be a set, they are such a stark and surreal backdrop.

Giggled at the cleaned up sound, and the dubbed “RA TA TA TAT’ of the boy up running up the hill with his pretend weapon, and the hilarious sound of a slap, (what DID they use for that effect!!).

When it came to pleasures of the original score and other sound effects more realistic to the moment the audio was very well done. Suitable to the original soundtrack, do not expect surround effect workouts as in T-3. I finally had the ‘theater’ experience with this old favorite that I never been able to realize. This film had always captivated me as an old re-run; it was relished on the higher quality DVD.

This movie is filmed in real time, …the time of the living.. It is a pace which takes some getting used to, as when a mainlander goes to the Big Island years ago, and take 2 days to decompress and match to the cadence of the locals.

When the boy runs up the hill he starts at the bottom and you follow for the long struggle up till he crests the top, In a more modern movie …you’d see him start up..then next few frames quick switch to over to him at the top of the hill. When gunfighters at the end of a long street walk or ride towards each other, you go with them…. placing you in more realistic timing than is displayed in most films. You don’t flip from the ends of the street, to faces, then flip to the middle of the street as they come together. As in real life the wait for a human to move from here to there can be almost uncomfortable in its anticipation, "Mr Choo Choo" painfully maneuvering round his private car. This movie builds on that reaction. The camera follows each realistically measured step of the way. Without a single slow mo, except for Harmonic’s flashbacks, -this method builds tension emphasis’s a moment of action and places you more firmly into the tension of the scene than the trick shots and compressed time of its more modern counterparts.

Those who know it and have been waiting will be very very pleased with the quality of this one.

#21193 - 11/21/03 10:39 AM Re: Da da DA da Dum DAAA daa.... DUM
steves Offline
Desperado

Lena, I have my copy sitting on the shelf. I plan to watch it tomorrow night. Like looking forward to a fine dessert...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts