Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21033 - 07/23/03 11:26 PM Cowboy Bebop The Movie: SE
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
First off, rent the series if you can, at least the first session, so you have some idea of the characters in the movie. Then, use this film, even the english dub is fine, for a good surround mix demo.

There is some very creative sound effects on this DVD. If you know the series, you know the music is top notch. It's not your usual techno pounding soundtrack, but instead a nice mix of jazz, blues, funk, and even some good 'ole rock 'n roll.

The voices on the DVD usually pan with the picture. In other words, they're not firmly planted in the center channel. If a character is on the left side of the room, the sound comes from the left speaker. It's a neat little trick.

Also, this is a series about space traveling bounty hunters. You get some really nice jet sounds and pans from front to back and from side to side. Try chapter 25, "Air Show", for some good jet fighting set against some really cool, horn driven, music.

One more thing, the music makes generous use of the surrounds. In chapter 23, "Breaking out of Cherious", the music is in the surrounds while the action takes place up front. In the final credits, the main vocals are all over the place creating a nice, large soundstage.

If you haven't figured it out, I really liked this DVD, especially the audio portion. It's now a definite system demo. Enjoy!

#21034 - 07/24/03 08:37 AM Re: Cowboy Bebop The Movie: SE
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
Hear Hear!

This is a great series even for those that are not Anime fans. Gritty funny and the audio/video experience is great. It really does show things off well and the English dub is one of the best I have seen.

#21035 - 07/24/03 11:25 PM Re: Cowboy Bebop The Movie: SE
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
I was lucky enough to get the 'Perfect Sessions' box set when it first came out (before it started selling for insane prices on eBay). What a great series: entertaining stories, great character development, good animation (especially for a TV show budget), etc. And the music: what can I say, it doesn't get much better than Yoko Kanno. From 'Macross Plus' to 'Escaflowne' to 'Bebop', her music never fails to be emotionally involving.
Quote:
rent the series if you can, at least the first session
Good advice. I also recommend getting the 'Best Sessions' collection of 6 remastered episodes; the discrete multi-channel mixes are outstanding.

Best,
Sanjay

[This message has been edited by sdurani (edited July 24, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts