Topic Options
#21720 - 11/12/07 02:56 AM Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
My gear:

RR2150 (soon to arrive)
NAD C521BEE CD player
Rega P2 (glass platter) w/Elys cartridge(original not Elys 2)
Energy C3 Speakers (no subwoofer as of yet)
Blue jean 12ga speaker cable and interconnects.

I have virtually no vinyl anymore. When I did, I owned a TT that was fully automatic, and I think even turned the LP over when one side was done. Boy, the simple days, eh ? I was very young, but had inherited my father's record collection, which was mostly rock based, but large.

Unfortunately, it was all lost (not by me) over the years, and since then, I haven't tried to get back into vinyl, until of course... now.

I only bought a couple things which were readily available, since they were cheap, and I had no idea of what any of the good or not good pressings were from the selections I was looking at. Those things being Portishead's self titled album, (180g) along with John Coltrane's "Blue Trane". I also have an LP of which my wife and her choir cut when she was a kid, so that should be interesting for both of us.

Come December 3rd, I should also have another set of LP's to add to the collection, which I ordered last month, those being the new Radiohead album, "In Rainbows".

My CD collection is modest, probably around 600-700 in total, some belonging to my wife. The genres range from Chicago and southern based blues, to a variety of classical (including complete Bach Organ works and the complete Stravinsky collection in a box set amongst other things), as well as Jazz, some soul and modern alt rock (I'd consider Portishead of that genre I guess).

So, my taste is broad, and I'm always open to suggestions, but for this test, I'd like to hear some pretty specific suggestions which will test my RR2150 and Energy speakers. When I say specific, I don't mean genre particularly, but rather that which will allow me to get a sense of how far this combination of gear will push its self in terms of frequency range, sound stage, a variety of vocal styles and breaths (if there's such a way of putting it).

Also very important to me (as anal or insincere as this might sound) is whether or not I'll be able to pick apart or simply hear the difference between a good studio production, and a GREAT engineering job.. Simply put, throw some material at me which has inherently great production quality.

I love layering of string instruments. Actually, I love layered anything. I love percussion.. and I love the sound of well done horns. Airy woodwinds and rolling piano keys.. Vocals that make your heart and soul melt.

I can even tolerate a certain amount of country.. but not too much really. I consider artists in the likeness of Junior Brown to be where my tastes are at, as far as country is concerned.

So, where to go from here is the question. Give me huge orchestrations ! Lush strings and passionate piano passages ! Swingin' and deep groovin' jazz beats complimented by a great recording... This is what I'm talking about.

Hit me. smile

doug

#21721 - 11/12/07 01:16 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Best recording I've heard this year:

Maria Schneider: "Sky Blue"

www.mariaschneider.com

If you like layered horns, she's doing some of the best composition and arranging that's out there. Also, this recoding by Joe Ferla is of reference quality.

Since you're in NY, she's at the Jazz Standard during Thanksgiving weekend. Her live shows are well worth the price of admission.

#21722 - 11/12/07 03:08 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Gil Evans - Out Of The Cool: From 1960, just remastered though only available on CD. If you ever see an LP, grab it.

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist/releases/default.aspx?pid=9574&aid=2671

#21723 - 11/13/07 06:39 AM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks chaps, shall persue. And Jason, I'll certainly try and attend if time is available.

Thanks !

Hey Trueblu, ever buy anything from these guys before ?

#21724 - 11/13/07 05:48 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Thanx, Doug. I've never purchased anything there—probably because of the prices—but I'm familiar with the site. Sure is tempting, though; I've owned it on cassette and CD, but never LP. Bet it sounds fantastic.

#21725 - 11/13/07 10:05 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Tell ya what then...

One day when we both have time, we can arrange to meet up and hang out for a while (perhaps bother some local hi fi shops ?) and then listen to it over at my pad, since I remember you saying that yours was a bit too cramped for company.

Since having moved to a bigger place, we can certainly accommodate a few guests, and then some. Heck, if you're not married, I can invite some of my wife's attractive friends, and who knows... Good music, good moods... tadow ! smile

All you'd have to bring is some music for me to enjoy, and I'll be a happy camper.

Doug

#21726 - 11/14/07 09:55 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Thanx for the offer, Doug, but I'm afraid my spla-Dow! days are long over; I've been married for almost 10 years now. The holiday season is the absolute worst time for us, anyway; but maybe I'll holla back at you when things slow down. If it's not gonna crimp you budget too much, though, you really should check out that Gil Evans LP.

#21727 - 11/15/07 07:22 AM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

No Problemo man, I understand, fully. And I was only kidding about bringing over some females for the sole purpose of hooking up.. My offer still stands for any time you'd like, and that includes bringing your better half. I'm sure that mine would certainly appreciate her company to balance out the testosterone levels and audio geekness wink

Budget ? We don't need no stinking budget ! *Just don't tell my wife I said that* Well, to be honest, what I usually do, is download an album to test the waters first. Content is always a priority, as a first rule. After I've established that I dig the material, I then worry about production quality. That said, it's sad that Oink's Pink Palace is gone.. Hopefully D******d will provide what I need.

Doug

EDIT: AAAH ! Holy crap ! Demonoid is gone now too !
Quote:
The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.
Ridiculous. But I won't get into it here and now. I really hope the big 5 go down in flames.

#21728 - 11/17/07 05:23 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Come on people... More suggestions please !

#21729 - 11/17/07 11:37 PM Re: Suggest Demo's for STEREO (rr2150) listening please
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Sweet Spot,

There is a disc that was available at Starbucks about ten months ago. It comes as a combined DVD and CD set:
Herbie Hancock - Possibilities
As you wrote you like "rolling piano keys.. Vocals that make your heart and soul melt." This will deliver exactly that.

There is a cut on the Disc sung by Annie Lennox called " Hush,Hush ". We used it last year at CES and the reviewers commented that it is one of the best recordings they have heard in years. I suggest you find it on the Starbucks web site and order it. It is really something special.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts