Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#21054 - 08/02/03 11:19 PM Organ music and stuff
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
I was just reading one of the threads here, and soundhound mentioned orgran recordings.

Listening to organ music never fails to give me chills. I don't know where to look to find such things on CD. Could anyone make some suggestions?

Speaking of pipes, anyone a fan of bagpipes? My wife bought me a CD titled, "Scottish Bagpipes and Drums," and there's some really great stuff on there.

-Joe

#21055 - 08/03/03 03:28 AM Re: Organ music and stuff
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Speaking of pipes,

More than organs Pipes will give me chills, maybe due to my genetics? I have a “Mc” grandfather.
Ech, but ye dina want those brutish great bags of air from Scotland, - Are you familiar with “Riverdance” upon which is a haunting track, played on uilleann pipes by Davy Spillane, (search his name, several CD’s)
Titled “Caoineadh cu chulainn” a Lament, this song could stir you buried 6 ft away from “yellow noise”.
Irish Uilleanns play 2 FULL octaves, giving them a greater range than the more martial Scottish pipes.
(Actually I love both, and especially Kilts!)

Any instrument whose players “presence” was banned from corrupting the English, (Ireland, Statue of Kilkenny in 1300’s by Edward III?) and in Scotland , - included under weapons of war after the Battle of Culloden 1700’s is an instrument worthy of stirring men!

#21056 - 08/03/03 05:45 PM Re: Organ music and stuff
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Lena,

Next time I roll myself up in my great kilt, I'll have to post some pictures for everyone And yes, I wear it correctly I can't wait to get a Utilikilt, have you seen those? http://www.utilikilt.com/

I'm into Seven Nations, they've got some really good stuff, especially if you like the uilleann.

Do you know any Irish, Lena? I took a couple of years of classes - our instructor told us not to call it Gaelic anymore because the language has changed so much. It's a tough language. When I was in Ireland, we were down at a bank in Dublin talking to one of the tellers. She said most of the people there didn't speak it because it was too difficult.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#21057 - 08/03/03 10:56 PM Re: Organ music and stuff
Desperado

Le do thoil! Love to see pics of you in your kilt. Don’t forget Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scoilbe
No, don’t know the language just some handy sayings/words like: Where would yeh be goin' an' no bell on your bike. (my most oft used) – “you great eegit”, or Gobshite Gom
We had a wild white rose (ugly as the divel) but the scent was like nothing I smelled since. My GGM brought it over, a renter at my GM’s house killed it. I don’t have a cutting. – My GF had a few words/phrases he used. An uncle by marriage (adopted) just found out he has Irish born biological parents and hoards of aunts/uncles and bairns in the west County Mayo. I’m hoping somehow this will work into the excuse I need to see the green rock someday. Wanted to attend the annual gathering of the Scottish Chlann’s at Saledo, Tx last year to watch men in kilts toss the caber around, missed it! Better luck to me-self next tamine!
Sláinte

What a funny websit!. Under (random) love the 2 marathon runners and the guy with the northface top half and kilt, - standing on the peak! Dinna git to see that too often!
Will look up seven nations!
Editors Note: just clicked through them again now my fav's are not coming up! But WAIT I saw two NEW ones of guys on Motorcycles. I think we've found a new look for SH!!!

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited August 03, 2003).]

#21058 - 08/05/03 09:00 AM Re: Organ music and stuff
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Yea, I remember almost none of what I learned. I remember more Russian than Irish

Let's see, what do I remember? "Dias ghuit!" "Ken kay a huil tu?"

Ah, well. I'll see if I can make enough room in my house to put on my kilt. 5 yards is a lot of fabric! I'll throw the swordbelt and sword on to make it complete. Maybe sing some drinking songs mmmmm Guinness, breakfast of champions.

So no input on organ recordings? I've got this killer amp and preamp now, and all I've got to listen to is Metallica

Lena, any suggestions on uilleann music?

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#21059 - 08/05/03 11:09 AM Re: Organ music and stuff
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
I gave money to an organist once. Yes, I was an organ donor.

Jeff

P.S. Did I mention that I gave him the money in Oregon? It's true: I was an Oregon organ donor.

#21060 - 08/05/03 12:25 PM Re: Organ music and stuff
Desperado

N: Since you’ve forgotten Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scoilbe, basically is a statement referring (in general) to dumb choices: Translation: Don’t go thatching your roof on a windy day. However, I thought the saying meshed nicely with Kilts (and wind and all )

No good recommends: other than the search I mentioned on “Davy Spillane” YOUR post made me want to look up his recordings using this instrument - Since I admired his talent and heart in the Lament from Riverdance, When times allows I’ll pick up some of his CD’s and see. When you search under his name many sites will add, “Similar CD’s” to this one recommended by other purchasers. Using that I hope to find some good selections.

Jeff since you’re a walking Oregon organ donor, hope you didna give anything away you can’t live without!

#21061 - 08/08/03 05:57 PM Re: Organ music and stuff
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
I have a couple I like. Probably my favorite is the Saint Saens Symphony #3 for organ by Telarc. The adagio & allegro moderato are excellent. These really capture the emotion of Saint Saens. I also have a Telarc recorded in Davies symphony hall that's good of Back, Dupre & Windsor... It's pretty good too. If you like Franck, you might try the Telarc with Murray as the organist at Saint Sernin. I still haven't found a killer organ CD. Maybe I'll need to upgrade to SACD to get the real experience. I've been pretty satisfied with Telarc's, with only a few bad recordings.
I will say this, it takes one heck of a sub or full range speaker to do organ right. If it can't rattle the walls, it can't do organ.

#21062 - 01/20/04 09:07 AM Re: Organ music and stuff
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
How about the SACD by E. Power Biggs or the four Bach Toccatas? An original quadraphonic recording from the 80's it was played on four pipe organs simultaneously. (How it works is beyond the scope of this post, but there's a church in Germany with four pipe organs controllable from one console.)
This recording is a good way to calibrate your subwoofer...gradually I've fastened everything in my ht that was sympathetically vibrating with some of those pedal points! That currently is the limitation on how hard I can drive the lfm-1.

Jay

Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts