Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#20846 - 01/29/03 01:04 PM The math of Columbia House
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
I am sure most of you have already figure out that you really aren't getting a dvd for $.49 plus shipping but I figured I would spell out the the deal in real terms of those that have written off CH as a scam. I used to think that until somebody bothered to point this out. I personally think that CH is a good deal with the one requirement that you buy in bulk. I just signed up and figured that I can get 9 DVD's for about $9.90 each all said and done (just the average price if you get the 6th dvd in the initial offer so you only have to buy two more later on and then cancel your membership). The one "cost" is that they will send you that darn "Director's Selection" but they have made it easier by letting you decline online which for me works well. The reason I mention this is that I think everyone here can see that 10 bucks for a good flick aint too bad. Plus it just seems easier than going through the hastle of scouring the web trying to find the best deal. It just amazed me what people do by looking at some of the forums that as entirely dedicated to finding that golden price. I hope this is helpful.

[This message has been edited by Joshorr (edited January 29, 2003).]

#20847 - 01/30/03 12:23 PM Re: The math of Columbia House
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I'm a member of the CH audio club, and it's served me well. There are no "director's selections," so if I ignore the club for a few months all I get is the free magazine once every few weeks. And I've fulfilled my "membership obligation" long ago.

I wait for the good deals, such as the "buy one get unlimited at 2.99" one, and then buy maybe 10-15 CDs at a time, several times a year. It usually works out to between $7 and $9 a CD average, including shipping (which is like $3 of that).

I find their marketing practices to be a bit deceptive, such as selling CDs for $2.99 and then charging $3.50 for shipping, but it still works out in my favor so I do it.

The major problem is selection; they don't have much recent stuff, and lack any CDs from a number of artists. I go to Sam Goody when I want to get something I can't find on their site.

BTW, I just throw away the magazine after each month. Web search is the way to go.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#20848 - 01/30/03 12:30 PM Re: The math of Columbia House
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I used to be a CH member, but was annoyed with it. It seems they have changed their ways a little. That directors selection drove me nuts, having to deselect it every month. What really got to me were their prices. They were listing fantastic savings from a price that was ridiculously high. The price they were selling at was actually pretty good, but then they would throw in about $2.50 for shipping and another $3.00 or so for taxes. This would eliminate the difference from the price at any local store. I might look into them again sometime if they are having deals as good as you guys say.

#20849 - 01/30/03 03:09 PM Re: The math of Columbia House
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
if anyone is interested in joining columbia House check out this link.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....07726?KeohiHDTV

too bad they don't carry any Criterion or Disney titles though.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts