Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#98616 - 09/08/19 03:22 PM OK, back at trouble with HDS-42AVR
trout Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Omaha, NE USA
OK, I moved and am now finally trying to get my 4k setup going with my Outlaw receiver and amp. I had this working before, I think, but I'm having some issues again. Here is how I have it setup.

LG 4k TV:
HDIM2 (ARC) to HDS-42AVR Bypass
HDMI1 to HDMI ARC of Outlaw 975
Audio Out set to HDMI ARC (2)

Outlaw 975:
HDMI1 to HDS-42AVR HDMI Out (Audio)
HDMI ARC to LG 4k TV HDMI1 (so I can use the OSD)

HDS-42AVR:
HDMI Out (Audio) to HDMI1 of Outlaw 975
HDMI out (Bypass) to HDMI2 of LG 4k TV
HDMI1 from Sony 4k DVD player
HDMI2 form unconnect HDMI cable that sometimes gets hooked up to a laptop's HDMI

Sony 4k DVD player:
HDMI1 (not just Audio) to HDS-42AVR HDMI1

My OSD has all the inputs I need, TV, Disc, and Video set with Video HDMI1, Audio HDMI1. I think this is how it is supposed to be.

I'm pretty sure I got this working before, but, now I only seem to get the Sony 4k DVD to operate correctly, though sometimes it seems that the TV goes to HDMI1 input for the 4k DVD player. Anyway, when I try to get the TV going, with its Smart TV's options, the TV video displays correctly, but the audio does not come through.

Somehow, I got this working before. Can I please have some assistance in getting this working again?

#98617 - 09/09/19 11:01 AM Re: OK, back at trouble with HDS-42AVR [Re: trout]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Sure. Swap the HDMI connections at the TV so that the HDS Pass Through connects to HDMI 1 of the TV and the 975 HDMI-ARC output connects to the TV's HDMI-ARC(2). (Audio Return Channel) The audio going back to the 975 and out to your speakers needs to travel from the HDMI-ARC port of the TV.

#98623 - 09/10/19 05:44 AM Re: OK, back at trouble with HDS-42AVR [Re: trout]
trout Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Omaha, NE USA
Thank You Helson,

Your setup suggestion seemed very logical. Alas, it did not work for the TV ARC of the LG TV (HDMI2) and the TV ARC of the 975 (TV ARC - regular output for HDMI.) I tried not even using the HDS-42AVR, just using the 975 HDMI ARC and my TV's HDMI ARC. I also tried, within the 975 Input setup, for TV, the following:

(here's the one I think it needs to be)
Video: -----
Audio: HDMI ARC

(here's the recommendation of the HDS manual)
Video: HDMI1
Audio: HDMI1

(I even tried this)

None of these gave me audio from my TV. I checked that there was audio going by setting my TV's audio out to its internal speaker, rather than HDMI ARC.

Any ideas how I can verify that either HDMI ARC connections are working? As well, can I find out if I need a firmware update on my 975, or is that something to talk to Outlaw Support about?

Oh, note: My 4k DVD is actually an LG, not a Sony, but it works now. Especially since I hooked it up to the HDMI2 input of the HDS. It seems to switch correctly when I press the disc input of the Outlaw remote. smile

Thanks again.

#98627 - 09/10/19 11:39 AM Re: OK, back at trouble with HDS-42AVR [Re: trout]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By trout

(here's the one I think it needs to be)

(here's the recommendation of the HDS manual)
Audio: HDMI1

(I even tried this)

Right. The particular input on the 975 chosen for the ARC function can't be the same as the one being used for audio from the HDS-42AVR (HDMI-1) It has to be another input, Disc, Game, or Video. Which needs to be set as you've shown:

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts