Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#98699 - 01/09/20 06:18 PM Some questions about audio formats and settings
NASANut Offline
Gunslinger

I have had the 976 for a while. Picked it up when I got a 4K tv. I am just now getting ready to set up a 7.1 system and re-doing other parts of my system and have some questions.

With regards to what is displayed on the front panel for different audio formats:

Will the “DD” be displayed when the incoming audio is Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, or Dolby TrueHD? In other words, same indicator used for all three formats? Is there some way to see exactly which format is being received?

Similar question, is “dts” being displayed for all three DTS formats?

Regarding the ‘Surround Default’ setting for the various inputs, since the manual only mentions 2 channel input modes, I’m assuming that if you are receiving something like DTS Master Audio (7.1) on that input, then the ‘Surround Default’ is ignored and the 7.1 is passed through. Is this correct? In other words, only a 2-channel (or All-Channel stereo) signal would be converted using the ‘Surround Default’ setting?

Thanks for any input.

#98700 - 01/12/20 12:34 PM Re: Some questions about audio formats and settings [Re: NASANut]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
When you start receiving the incoming signal the format scrolls across the display. You also have the "Info" button below the display that will show the incoming audio format. It'll show any upmixing modes like you mentioned. If the incoming signal is a lossless format you won't be able to upmix as it's already the best available format.
Not sure about the surround default setting. I haven't used it at all, even though I've had my 976 for a couple years now.

#98720 - 01/25/20 02:24 AM Re: Some questions about audio formats and settings [Re: NASANut]
NASANut Offline
Gunslinger

I have done some more investigating and the below, which I sent to Outlaw tech support this evening, is what I am seeing (hearing!?) now.

I'm sure this is just a setting, however I have been unable to figure it out. I have an Oppo Blu-Ray player connected via HDMI to my Model 976. I have a test disk that has PCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS Master Audio sample material. The Oppo has a setting for "HDMI Output Format" with the options of Auto (factory default), Bitstream, LPCM, and Off. According to the Oppo manual, if the setting is in 'Auto', then it should detect what types of formats the 976 can receive and send them in that format. The problem is that although when I play the PCM sample material, everything works but if I play the DTS or Dolby samples, the 976 does not play any audio and the display seems to indicate that it is not receiving any (none of the speaker indicators are lit). If I switch the Oppo to force the output to LPCM on HDMI, then the 976 will play all of the sample material but will only display Multi-PCM. I never see an indication that it is receiving DTS or Dolby material.

#98721 - 01/25/20 11:56 AM Re: Some questions about audio formats and settings [Re: NASANut]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Originally Posted By NASANut
I have done some more investigating and the below, which I sent to Outlaw tech support this evening, is what I am seeing (hearing!?) now.

I'm sure this is just a setting, however I have been unable to figure it out. I have an Oppo Blu-Ray player connected via HDMI to my Model 976. I have a test disk that has PCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS Master Audio sample material. The Oppo has a setting for "HDMI Output Format" with the options of Auto (factory default), Bitstream, LPCM, and Off. According to the Oppo manual, if the setting is in 'Auto', then it should detect what types of formats the 976 can receive and send them in that format. The problem is that although when I play the PCM sample material, everything works but if I play the DTS or Dolby samples, the 976 does not play any audio and the display seems to indicate that it is not receiving any (none of the speaker indicators are lit). If I switch the Oppo to force the output to LPCM on HDMI, then the 976 will play all of the sample material but will only display Multi-PCM. I never see an indication that it is receiving DTS or Dolby material.

Have you tried setting the Oppo to bitstream just for giggles?
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#98724 - 01/26/20 06:59 PM Re: Some questions about audio formats and settings [Re: butchgo]
NASANut Offline
Gunslinger

Hi butchgo,

Sorry for the slow response. It has been a crazy weekend.

Yes, I have tried setting the Oppo to Bitstream output. When I do, the same thing happens. The PCM demos will play audio but the DTS and Dolby will not.

I have also verified that whether I have the Oppo set to output PCM or Bitstream, the Oppo display will show the correct format for the particular demo material being played.

Any other suggestions?

#98725 - 01/27/20 11:41 AM Re: Some questions about audio formats and settings [Re: NASANut]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Sounds like you have tried everything.
Hopefully Outlaw will have an answer for you.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#98752 - 02/12/20 01:33 AM Re: Some questions about audio formats and settings [Re: NASANut]
NASANut Offline
Gunslinger

Just to finalize this thread, it turns out my unit was defective. Outlaw had me send it back and were very fast in the turn-around. New unit is back and everything appears to be working the way it should.

Thanks for the great support Outlaw Audio

Edited by NASANut (02/12/20 01:33 AM)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts