Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#99064 - 11/09/20 02:01 PM Firmware
reet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello all, I am the proud owner of a second hand Outlaw 976. I notice it has a firmware upgrade serial port on the back, and wanted to make sure I have the latest/greatest available, but I don't see any mention of firmware versions, updates, anything.

I have version 1.06, is it the latest, is there newer/better and where do I find it?

Thanks!

#99065 - 11/09/20 04:06 PM Re: Firmware [Re: reet]
reet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Received prompt response from support ticket. There are no firmware updates, something about the version number may be different based on production run.

#99066 - 11/09/20 09:15 PM Re: Firmware [Re: reet]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Damn!
I really wish they would come out with a firmware update so we could rename the inputs.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#99067 - 11/09/20 10:10 PM Re: Firmware [Re: reet]
reet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That would be nice, but I'm okay with the input selection as we can assign the names provided to any input. One thing I will miss moving from an Emotiva UMC-200 is the multiple EQ presets, UMC-200 could hold 3 EQ presets and now I'm down to just 1.

My biggest complaint having used the thing for only a few hours is just the inability to adjust the brightness of the power LED. It is bright and distracting, going to have to do something about that..Otherwise I'm quite satisfied, everything works and the UI is simple.

#99074 - 11/13/20 05:08 PM Re: Firmware [Re: reet]
Tom M Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Massachusetts
I just got a new replacement 976 and the firmware version is 1.07. I did not notice any differences from 1.06.

Edited by Tom M (11/13/20 05:10 PM)
Sonore UltraRendu with SGC LPS
Sonore UltraDigital with SGC LPS
Micromega MyDac
Squeezebox Touch and Radio
Oppo BDP-83
Def Tech 8060 Front
Def Tech 8040 Center
Def Tech 8040 Surround
Def Tech ProSub 1000
Panny G25
Outlaw Audio, Audio Quest, Wire World, Blue Jean and Monster Cables

#99075 - 11/15/20 04:51 AM Re: Firmware [Re: reet]
Rimbaud Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'd love to see a means in firmware to disable the blindingly-bright power button light. I have to cover it up to tolerate having it in my small AV room. I wish blue LEDs had never been invented.

I still have two weeks return period left on my unit and it's 50/50 right now on whether I'll return it. I like the form factor, value, simplicity, and XLR connections. Hate the light, the audio thumps when the signal connects/disconnects (though mild), and the occasional reversing volume control on the remote. Outlaw has known about that last one for three years now and obviously never bothered to fix it. Of course the remote issue can be resolved by switching to a Harmony, but that still leaves the two larger gripes.

It's laughable that they include a dimming feature for the display. It's completely pointless when the power button light is 50x brighter.

#99078 - 11/16/20 02:46 PM Re: Firmware [Re: reet]
Deromax Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawinigan, PQ, Canada
Sadly, since there have been no updates for the 976 since its begining, it means it's either perfect or abandonware. Both eventualities are unsettling imho! frown

Edited by Deromax (11/16/20 02:47 PM)

" I hear no highs, I feel no lows, it sounds like crap, it must be Bose "

#99079 - 11/16/20 08:02 PM Re: Firmware [Re: reet]
reet Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Don't count on there being any new firmware this late in the product's life. What you have is a finished product with any quirks that it may come with.

I agree on the power LED, the lacking option to dim or disable it is lame. But you can get crafty and cover it up without making it look ugly. This is one feature where Emotiva has an advantage, my old UMC-200 would dim the power LED with the display together.

Apart from the LED, lacking features for me would be the OSD has no overlay, its a black screen without audio, means that you can't adjust EQ "live" or any other options without seriously disrupting the show. Other than that, it's just the silly remote. Went to all that work to make it out of brushed aluminum with a fun battery door, but the button layout is not great, the buttons feel like mush, the printing is a little off, as well the printing should not be on the buttons as that is prone to wear off eventually, it should be silk screened on the shell above the buttons.

I digress, on the plus side it does all the things it says it does without error so I am still happy with it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts