Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#98997 - 09/26/20 01:13 PM HDMI Out Limitations?
snmhanson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Pacific Northwest
This post is similar to a recent post covering the same subject, but I'm not sure if I'm asking the same exact question so I am creating a new thread.

I am looking for a new processor or receiver to feed my NAD amp and the 976 checks all my primary requirements except one. I currently have an Apple 4K TV and a newer Sony 4K flat screen. So far so good. However, I intend to eventually purchase a 4K projector to be used in the same room and I'd like to easily be able to switch between the two. I will likely connect additional 4K sources to the system in the future as well - perhaps the PS5 when it comes out.

From my understanding the second HDMI out on the 976 will not pass 4K signals. Additionally, I believe if you have both HDMI outs connected neither will pass a 4K signal. I suppose I could set the output to each source device to 1080P, but that is a compromise I'm not willing to make. Am I missing something here or is that really a limitation of the 976? If there was a way to pass dual 4K signals I would be ordering one right now. However, even though $1K is a great deal on a processor I am reluctant to purchase it due to that issue.

Any advice or insight into this?

Thanks!

#98998 - 09/26/20 10:00 PM Re: HDMI Out Limitations? [Re: snmhanson]
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
You might check Monoprice or Parts Express and see if they might have a 4K HDMI switch box.
I used an Oppo HM-31 with great success but it probably wouldn't pass a 4K signal.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#99003 - 09/29/20 04:36 PM Re: HDMI Out Limitations? [Re: snmhanson]
jefny Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Manhasset, NY, USA
I may have been the one to ask a somewhat similar questions in that I have at present an overhead projector and plasma TV both HD but not 4K. At present I do have one 4k input (TIVO) and a bluray player (HD) to the pre-amp. I would like to ensure the ability to play either of the 2 inputs to any of the 2 outputs. The response from Outlaw was maybe/maybe not for the 976.

At some future time I plan to get a 4K projector and a 4K TV which means I will have the same issue as you do. You probably should pay attention to the issue of the length of your hdmi cable to your projector because the longer it is the greater possibility of handshaking problems.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM