Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#94404 - 08/10/14 03:57 PM Integrated amp?
rklein Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: griffin, ga, usa
I would like an integrated amp that is styled like the RR2150 but no tuner. Keep the bass management, add some digital inputs, and a couple of cool looking VU meters ala McIntosh.

Edited by rklein (08/10/14 03:59 PM)

#94406 - 08/13/14 10:47 AM Re: Integrated amp? [Re: rklein]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I am not sure if anyone makes something like that anymore. You can buy VU meters to add to your system and a DAC to feed an older integrated amp you might find at a discount store or garage sale. I have an older Yamaha CA-800 I use for music. Bought it in 1976 and it still rocks the house.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94666 - 01/13/15 12:52 PM Re: Integrated amp? [Re: rklein]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
I too would like to see an Outlaw product in this category. There is still a large community of us that like 2 channel listening (or maybe 2.1) and don't need or want an 11.2 processor that's approaching the size of a microwave oven. For critical listening of music I still much prefer 2 channel listening. There is a large community of vinyl listeners out there and they love there 2 channel setups. But more and more those vinyl listeners are converting over to hi-resolution digital media. Even the most staunch vinyl freaks will have to admit that a good SACD recording on a good system sounds amazing. Better than vinyl I think so, others may not agree, but its certainly very close. The convenience of a good media server makes this media even more appealing.

Just like the vinyl guys have been purists forever with their main focus on keeping the audio signal as pure, clean and simple as possible so too are there now digital purists. Give me a binary source (transport or media server), a good DAC, a better amp, and great speakers and thats all I need to be happy. I don't need all those extras like tone controls, bass boost, bass management, balance control, etc. If you set your speakers up right (and have decent room acoustics) you don't need all of that stuff.

Here are some features I'd like to see:

1) Strong amps, at least 125W or maybe as high as 200W. Serious listeners want serious power!
2) The Best DACs available to keep it in the price range. Don't save money on the DACs, cut features but keep the DACs top notch.
3) Price range is debatable, I think under $1000 would be great, but if the value is there I could justify spending a bit more.
4) A variety of source inputs, including USB and maybe even a phono stage. Remember a large part of the two channel community still has vinyl.
5) Analog side for the volume control with a nice smooth adjustments, preferably a knob. Looks and feels better.
6) Bass management, maybe, but not critical. There are other options for this, i.e. use the subs built in crossover or an external crossover.
7) Headphone Amp, maybe, not really appealing to me, but I know many people really enjoy HP listening.
8) Small form factor, not every thing has to 17" wide and rack mountable.

I don't know if you'd sell millions of them, but with Outlaw's build quality and good reputation I think it would prove to be a winner for both Outlaw and the user.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

#94672 - 01/13/15 08:27 PM Re: Integrated amp? [Re: rklein]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
The RR2150 already meets most of the criteria above. Maybe it could be upgraded somewhat to make it more future resistant.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#94674 - 01/13/15 10:06 PM Re: Integrated amp? [Re: rklein]
mdrconsult Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Texas
In my mind these are two completely different animals. In particular, the RR2150 is primarily an analog unit with the exception of one USB input, while this integrated amp would be primarily digital with the possible exception of either a phono input or just a plan analog input. Also, the form factor would probably be quite different. This integrated amp could probably be about 4"x10"x15"(HxWxD). Plus there is a great deal of circuitry added to the signal in the way of tone, balance, bass boost and bass management all of which adds to the price and does not enhance (probably detracts) the sonic performance.

Now on the other hand, I think it would be an excellent idea to have an updated version of the RR2150 or maybe even a completely new design based on a 2 channel (ok maybe 2.1) primarily digital receiver. Of course I have some thoughts on what that ought to look like as well. Keep the retro look just update the technology inside it, also make it available in black as well. Here would be a good start on the features list.

1) Power should probably be in the 100W area with A+B outputs
2) Reasonably good DACs of course.
3) The price point will have a very larger impact on the quality of the DACs and amp. I'm not sure where the sweet spot would be. Me personally I would pay up to $1000 if the DACs and amps were right.
4) A good variety of digital inputs, 2 USB, 2 Coaxial, 2 Optical and maybe even an AES/EBU
5) A couple of analog inputs and a phono stage as well
6) Internet connectivity with various streaming services supported
7) Bass management for both the A+B sides with two sub outs (one for each or both for A depending on selector switch)
8) Digital direct mode, i.e. Source input -> DAC -> to amp -> Speakers (Thats for the purists!)
9) A good display that can be read from a distance, but dimmed when not needed.

I don't know how many of the RR2150s they sold. My impression was that it was popular. A new version would be every bit as popuplar and possibly even more so.
Emotiva XMC-1, Outlaw 7500, Sonus Faber Olympica III Fronts, SF Liuto Center, SF Surrounds, LFM-1 EX, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV (Gen. 4), Mitsubishi 65" Diamond DLP, Outlaw Cables, PS Audio Power Quintet, Duet and power cords.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts