Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19138 - 02/01/03 01:48 AM New pre/pro should really break the mold
charlie Offline
Desperado

I think the whole preamp concept is showing it's age. Obviously the units we have contain the (mostly) functionality we need, but the user interface is mired in the old 1960s signal switcher paradigm. What I'd love to see is a pre/pro with a 'task oriented' interface, ideally one that was user programmable.

For instance the concept of CD/tuner/DVD/Tape/etc inputs being physically assigned is bogus in the current market where we might have multiple DVD players or a single player that does multiple formats.

Ideally we should be able to create a labeled 'task' that would contain information about the audio source, prefered formats and decoding (in order), video source, signal routing, etc.

Or is this way too geeky? It could come with presets, much like a programmable remote comes with basic functioanlity, but able to learn more.

#19139 - 02/01/03 11:53 PM Re: New pre/pro should really break the mold
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Charlie:

I hear you, and have wondered about this same thing for quite a while. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

The 950 comes within spitting distance of being such a device, if only it had about 4 times the housekeeping horsepower and a really intelligent interface. There are some really expensive devices made by Crestron (I think) that do a lot of what you say, but they rely on stone in ax technology of I.R. repeaters to communicate.

#19140 - 02/02/03 11:35 AM Re: New pre/pro should really break the mold
charlie Offline
Desperado

The funny (or is it sad ?) thing is that you're correct - the only difference is some housekeeping and UI, which is a relatively low consumer of CPU cycles. A bit more memory and a lot of thought directed at design and usability are what's actually required, but the raw capabilities and horsepower are all there.

Someone will probably do it eventually. It would be cool if it were Outlaw - kinda fits in with being on the edge, releasing clever products like the ICBM; New and useful application of existing stuff.

#19141 - 02/04/03 11:22 PM Re: New pre/pro should really break the mold
Avi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA
"All it would take..."

User interface design is HARD, and it's not just the user interface of the pre/pro, but needing to control everything else in the chain. Not saying it can't be done - in fact, you can front end a system today task-oriented remotes (from a $400 Philips Pronto to a $40,000 Crestron system). But it requires a lot of custom programming - for better or for worse. Putting that kind of interface on a product and still having it easy to use is not trivial.

To a certain extent, Sunfire's pre/pro let you push play on your DVD player and takes it from there in terms of turning itself on, selecting the right input/output and sound mode. But it won't also select the correct input on your display.

Now, if Outlaw wants to make a home theater control center with built in pre/pro functionality, that would certainly be an interesting product (at any price). But I wouldn't volunteer to be the project manager in charge of getting it designed and built.

-avi

#19142 - 02/05/03 08:10 PM Re: New pre/pro should really break the mold
charlie Offline
Desperado

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I'm not advocating controlling all the other components, just allowing more control over how the existing level of functionality is presented.

For instance I want to be able to define a source as "DVD Audio" that accepts audio input from the 6 channel discrete inputs and routes that audio through the volume and gain controls, then out the pre-out jacks. This source should also route video from the component input #1 to the component output.

I could keep on, defining selectable 'setups' that represented tasks, or basically each way I use the switcher/processor.

I do software for a living - UI design takes a bit of thought, but it's not that hard. If it were easy everyone would do it, right?

#19143 - 02/05/03 09:18 PM Re: New pre/pro should really break the mold
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Back in my electronics design days, I had to design some pretty sophisticated component testing equipment for people to use who couldn't even speak english in some instances. The user interface had to be completely transparent - it can be done.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 06, 2003).]

#19144 - 02/05/03 10:40 PM Re: New pre/pro should really break the mold
charlie Offline
Desperado

Each to his own I guess. In any case, the UI takes a bit of thought and some work, but it's nothing like writing code to do real time signal processing. Not even the same league.

It would be cool to give this device a nice little touch screen interface in addition to the 'real' buttons. An ethernet port would also be cool.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM