Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19872 - 12/01/05 05:21 PM headphone amp/DAC?
noddin0ff Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just breezing through the forum. A product I would like to see is a small universal transport/DAC/headphone amp thingy. Something to replace my walkman by my bedside for high quality headphone sessions...with no bright lights.

#19873 - 12/06/05 08:42 PM Re: headphone amp/DAC?
Meursault Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Here here on the headphone amp! I'm not sure the transport/DAC is really necessary, though if the Outlaws feel the need to make a unique product, that might be an option. There might be a bit of a glut of headphone amps right now, but I think there could be an opening for:

A) one that is made specifically for, say, the Sennheiser HD580/600/650.

B) A high-quality single source, single output model at $150

C) A nearly-a-stereo-preamp such as the Pro-ject Head Box (multiple sources, multiple outputs)

D) A unit with Dolby Headphone processing and a couple of outputs

#19874 - 12/12/05 04:46 PM Re: headphone amp/DAC?
noddin0ff Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Good points. I figure there's no shortage of headphone amps in the world (although Outlaw's pricing would be nice). But then I think a lot of people would use this imaginary headphone amp in bed or in a comfy chair that isn't necessarily next to where their rack of gear is. You don't want another rack of source components just to play a CD for headphone listening (well, I do but can't afford it). And, you don't want to be using that cheap portable player either. So why not include a transport+DAC. It wouldn't make it that much bigger. Still small enough to put where you're comfortable. Most portable equipment has cheap DACs...

Probably most new-techy types, then, are going to want to listen to the gigabytes of digital files that they're toting around on their laptops. Laptops don't have great DACs but they are more convenient that carrying around 50 CD's So, since the imaginary unit has a DAC, let it accept input via USB from a laptop. Add another digital input for a traditional source and this would round out the units flexibility and usefulness. Obviously I didn't include analog in's for platter types. Optional in my book.

#19875 - 12/12/05 08:33 PM Re: headphone amp/DAC?
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by noddin0ff:

Probably most new-techy types, then, are going to want to listen to the gigabytes of digital files that they're toting around on their laptops. Laptops don't have great DACs but they are more convenient that carrying around 50 CD's So, since the imaginary unit has a DAC, let it accept input via USB from a laptop. Add another digital input for a traditional source and this would round out the units flexibility and usefulness. Obviously I didn't include analog in's for platter types. Optional in my book.
So you mean a headphone amp like THIS

#19876 - 12/12/05 08:35 PM Re: headphone amp/DAC?
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Meursault:
Here here on the headphone amp! I'm not sure the transport/DAC is really necessary, though if the Outlaws feel the need to make a unique product, that might be an option. There might be a bit of a glut of headphone amps right now, but I think there could be an opening for:

A) one that is made specifically for, say, the Sennheiser HD580/600/650.

B) A high-quality single source, single output model at $150

C) A nearly-a-stereo-preamp such as the Pro-ject Head Box (multiple sources, multiple outputs)

D) A unit with Dolby Headphone processing and a couple of outputs
Check out THESE forums. Everything under the sun concerning headphones with more amps than you even thought existed.

#19877 - 12/12/05 10:20 PM Re: headphone amp/DAC?
noddin0ff Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey...that's pretty cool. Not as cool as if Outlaw made it for less and it had a CD transport. But pretty cool. You could make a better bargain for the budget wanna-phile if you just had one top quality product than the completely flexible chose-your-options approach. But still cool.

I've got some reading to do. Thx for the link. Why are headphone amps so expensive?

#19878 - 12/20/05 01:55 PM Re: headphone amp/DAC?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansing, KS
Headphone amps are very niche market (thus expensive) and many of us who enjoys headphone amps are looking for DIY route (either your own design or have someone else do it for you). However, there are plenty consumer products out there if you don't mind spend some money on it. If you are looking for some portability, there are some decent sounding headphone amps out there with minimal cost. But what a concept if Outlaw comes up with Outlaw quality headphone amp along with Outlaw pricing. Outlaw, if you ever come up with Outlaw headphone amp, I will be first in line.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts