Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19578 - 01/14/05 06:12 PM Satellite Radio Tuner w/Tivo-Like Capability
David Olstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New York, NY USA
I think XM Radio is great, but with over 100 channels, there's no way I can listen to all the programs I want to. So I think it's high time to introduce time-shift listening. XM radio has already done this to some extent with their new portable player, which has a build in hard drive that can store a few hours worth of music. But I'd like to see something similar in a home player.

Basically, what I want is a Tivo that can record satellite radio programs. Hell, if it can record television programs too, that's fine with me.

#19579 - 01/16/05 01:05 AM Re: Satellite Radio Tuner w/Tivo-Like Capability
jmartin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rancho Cordova, CA, USA
What a great idea! If you can buy one of the new home XM radio's, they may have a RCA or (not probable with copright protection worrys) digital out which could then be sent to an exsisting DVR.

#19580 - 01/16/05 11:44 AM Re: Satellite Radio Tuner w/Tivo-Like Capability
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
who really wants to record radio though? not me. i prefer listening to cds as it is now. the only reason that i listen to the radio is to find any new songs that i like that i havent heard yet. you can always make yourself a mixed cd of the type of music that you like...

to each their own i suppose.

#19581 - 01/16/05 12:02 PM Re: Satellite Radio Tuner w/Tivo-Like Capability
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My radio listening is pretty minimal, but I know a number of people who have certain radio talk shows or other programs that they like to listen to regularly. One option is to use something like the hard drive-equipped DVD recorders made by Panasonic, Pioneer, and a few others. The audio quality is pretty consistent on all four recording speeds with my Panasonic DMR-E80, so it would be possible to record the output of a tuner to the hard drive.

Another interesting thought is the home theater PC. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt some of the DVR programs (or develop a totally separate program) to record audio from a tuner through the sound card's line input.

#19582 - 01/16/05 07:08 PM Re: Satellite Radio Tuner w/Tivo-Like Capability
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
Gonk-o-rama!

If you want to time-shift AM/FM radio, try the "radioSHARK" by Griffen, the folks that make all sorts of nifty things for iPods. It is an external tuner with software that allows you to not only listen to radio, do "repeat" like the "back" button on your TiVo, but also to schedule recordings of radio broadcasts that you can listen to later, or even download to your iPod. I heard people saying it's $69 or such.

Now if someone could only make good ear-buds for us canines so that we could listen to OUR music on an iPod while out for a walk.

...but what do I know, I'm only a dog.

ARF ARF, says Iggy!

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#19583 - 01/16/05 08:12 PM Re: Satellite Radio Tuner w/Tivo-Like Capability
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I actually saw that recently on ThinkGeek and thought, "Hey, that's pretty darn cool - could be fun." I can see it being really useful for some people. Then I also thought, "How often do I listen to the radio outside the car? Would a $70 gadget - even a cool one - make me listen any more often?" and so I didn't pick one up. It is a really slick product, from the looks of it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts