Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#19447 - 11/15/03 12:07 AM A successor to the 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
So Outlaw's newsletter tonight announced the impending end of sales of the 1050. At the same time, they announced plans for a replacement to follow and suggested that we toss out ideas for what this new receiver should do and have -- they've apparently already pinned down the feature set pretty well, but it may not be too late to add some things to the mix. They did mention that it would be a wholly new design, not derived from anything existing (like, for instance, the 950). So what all would we like to see? I thought I'd start a thread for suggestions, starting with the obvious....

Processing Modes: Dolby Digital, Dolby EX, DTS, DTS ES, Pro Logic IIx, Stereo 5/7. The 1050 had some DSP modes like Jazz, Stadium, and Natural, but the 950 has proven that these can safely be omitted, and I doubt many of us would miss them if they were left off.

Inputs:
7.1 analog (for those folks out there who want to use direct radiating surround back speakers as surrounds for multichannel music), perhaps with an analog crossover (in which case, the three-position variation used on the Fosgate FAP-T1 might be worth considering).
Component switching with two inputs.
At least two each of coax and optical digital inputs.

Remote: Either the MX-500 in every case or perhaps an option for a basic (SL-8000 or UEI) remote or a more robust remote like the MX-500.

OK, that's a start, and I suspect that a lot of what I've mentioned is already included, but what the heck. I'm off to sleep now. Anybody else want to chime in?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19448 - 11/15/03 07:14 AM Re: A successor to the 1050
ericlp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Eugene, oregon
The Zoran Processor... Dunno if that is a outlaw chipset but it seems some people are complaining that dvd's don't encode right... Maybe it's time to ditch that for something more standard?

How about cranking out a .03 or .04 THD? Make it one better then everyone else?

Maybe pump up the watts 10 or 15 more. I wouldn't go any higher since most people are using subs ... If you have the money to spend on speakers with massive drivers and have a 1000 sq foot living room to store them... Then thats what the seperates are for...

DTS ES And Dobly EX are nice but what about a SACD MODE? That would be nice too. 7.1 is ok ...

Other then that maybe a 3-5Year Warranty? That would be really nice.

And keeping the price down where the average JOE can buy it. Not as if the 1050 is over priced.... But if it is going to cost an extra 100 or 200 more why not go with a better amp?

That's my 2 - 3 cents.

Have Fun / Good Luck and ENJOY. I wouldn't change much in the way of the box and front panel or remote since you already have a good thing going. Just keep it the same style.

#19449 - 11/15/03 01:55 PM Re: A successor to the 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm back, and thought I'd toss out some more thoughts.

The ability to rename inputs would be very nice -- something I have always felt the 950's successor will need, and it might be cool to try it here as well.

It probably makes sense to go with five video inputs (like the 950: DVD, VCR in/out, Video1, Video2, and Video3), but the audio-only inputs could probably be accomplished with two (CD and tape/aux in/out). Although none of us will fuss if there are more inputs than that.

The 1050 lacked an A/B speaker option, and I expect its replacement to be similar. Either a second zone (similar to the 950) or a second pair of pre-amp outputs for the mains (cheaper than the second zone) might help make up for that.

Cirrus's triple crossover would be handy, and it's a very logical progression from the 1050's single adjustable crossover. Stereo bypass would be good to include, as well.

EDIT: Here's another thought, a bit weird and nit-picky. There is hopefully still an Outlaw DVD player on the drawing board, which will include multichannel analog outputs for DVD-A and SACD. When laying out the back panel of that player and the 1050's successor, you might consider lining up the multichannel connectors on both so they are placed similarly to the multichannel inputs on the 950 -- so that anyone putting an Outlaw DVD player in an equipment rack above a 950 or 1050v2 would have a straight shot down from outputs to inputs (unlike my Panasonic DVD-Audio player, which has the outputs probably 8" to the left of the 950's inputs, creating a six-cable bundle cutting across in front of other audio and video cables going into the 950). You can't match rear panel layouts with every other manufacturer around, but it could be a nice touch to maintain uniformity of this type within your own product line.

Quote:
but what about a SACD MODE?

Onboard DVD-A and SACD decoding via digital input (firewire) would be cool, but I doubt it will be possible by next summer -- last I heard, there was still no industry standard encryption established. Denon and Pioneer have done it with their own encryption, but it requires using their player and their receiver.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited November 15, 2003).]

#19450 - 11/15/03 03:59 PM Re: A successor to the 1050
Digital Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas NV
DVI/HDMI inputs are mandatory IMO if Outlaw expects this one to compete as long as the 1050 did. It shouldn't be under the "not ready for primetime" list if it's not coming out for another year. The looks need to be changed as well. If you like the 1050's looks then that's great, I'm sure you'll like it if it was changed as well.

I'd like the power to be 75 w/ch with at least 5 channels of amplification. 7 would be nice, but it's definately not a dealbreaker.

Also everything Gonk wants sounds good to me

#19451 - 11/15/03 07:24 PM Re: A successor to the 1050
sfw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: IL, USA
I would like to see Outlaw consider a design that allowed field update of the software in the device. The recently escalating 1050 problems with Dolby EX are such a shame. Outlaw's outstanding customer service, arguably one of the top reasons to buy Outlaw, was left without an avenue to help. What could have be fixed by a minor software update wasn't possible. Many customers would have been happy to send Outlaw $20 for a new PROM for their 1050s if that was possible.

Software is just to complicated to get right the first time. I hope Outlaw doesn't handcuff itself in future devices and takes advantage of the "soft" in software. An additional benefit of such a design would be that Outlaw could more safely take chances on bleeding edge features in the new receiver (like they did with 6.1 in the 1050) without the risk.

I know there will be pressure to go overboard on the amplifier section at the expense of the price point. Despite how the quoted performance compares, customers that overcame the spec numbers game have been well rewarded with a superior sounding receiver in the 1050. While 6 or 7x100 watt receiver priced at $900 fits well into the Outlaw product line and would be in keeping with Outlaw's notoriety for value, this would not be a replacement for the 1050.

The 1050 was successful because of its high quality sound for $500. Outlaw is cool not only for its value, but also for the fact that they provided access to it for as little as $500. While still a good value, Outlaw equipment since the 1050 has all been at least 3x the price of the 1050. I hope Outlaw doesn't evacuate the $500 receiver market with the 1050's replacement.

#19452 - 11/16/03 08:31 AM Re: A successor to the 1050
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
I agree with sfw. A 'replacement' for the 1050 should be at the same price point. It's tempting to load up a new model with everything we think has been lacking in the old. Features now seem to be plentiful in the <$500 market with brands like Pioneer, JVC, and Kenwood adding component video swithcing and 6 or 7 channels of amplification along with the processing to use them. What the 1050 threw in was the sound quality of a much higher priced unit. I would urge the Outlaws to resist the pressure to dress out the successor and jack up the price. The 1050 seemed like a good entry product to train newcomers into separates. Their trade-in program will likely prove that true. Don't abandon those who want to aspire to true audiophile sound but don't have the resources yet.

#19453 - 11/17/03 08:43 AM Re: A successor to the 1050
polonius Offline
Gunslinger

Don't forget that when the 1050 originally came out it was priced at $600. I'd be very surprised to see the 1050 replacement for less than $650. It really ought to be competitive with other products available in that price range. If it makes any sense logistically I think they should have two receivers, a 5.1 version for say $500 and a 7.1 version for $650.

What I'd like to see is a 7.1 receiver where you could re-assign two of the amplifiers and bi-amp the front main speakers if you wanted to use 5.1 or stereo mode. Of course, the crossover would have to support this.

#19454 - 11/17/03 03:20 PM Re: A successor to the 1050
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I like pretty much everything I have read so far.

Two that stick out that have nothing to do with sound (go figure) is the MX-500 would be ideal and DVI inputs would be a great feature as well.

How about a digital amp? If done right, I hear they can sound excellent.

Also, I am not sure about the 1050, but on the 950's display there are two levels of characters. I would really like the volume display to be larger (double level). I don't have a problem with the input and sound format being small since chances are I know what I am listening to, but I would like a nice 1 inch number display for the volume on the side.

How about Satellite radio capabilities built in?

Don't know if this exceeds the price point, but brushed aluminum would be nice also.

If I think of more, I will post it.

#19455 - 11/17/03 04:34 PM Re: A successor to the 1050
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
It must have vacuum tubes. It's a dealbreaker if it ain't.

#19456 - 11/17/03 05:09 PM Re: A successor to the 1050
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
Tubes, Tubes, Tubes! Soundhound, is that all it takes to get you interested? ................................................. Yea if its 7.1 and has tubes I'll take one too. Maybe we should start a reservation list? Soundhound, what do you think?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts