Topic Options
#19423 - 08/21/03 03:22 PM Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Here's my idea. Take this product:

www.zektor.com/mas3/index.htm

It's basically a nice little multi-channel switch box. 3 inputs to 1 output

Now combine that with the features of an ICBM. You get three sets of analog multi-channel inputs with bass management that you can switch between from a remote control.

C'mon Outlaw....wouldn't that be cool??

#19424 - 09/10/03 10:47 AM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
mikepa Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Massachusetts
Ditto!

I just sent an email to the outlaws requesting this same product. I would certainly be willing to pay for an all in one switch/ICBM. My request would be to provide at least two, but preferably three inputs
- one from existing Pre/Pro
- one from DVD-A
- one from SACD

I would be willing to Beta test it as well. :-)

mikepa

#19425 - 09/10/03 06:58 PM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

That would be nice, but if the Outlaws do it, then they should do it RIGHT and go ALL THE WAY!! This switcher/ICBM simply MUST include digital time alignment for EVERY CHANNEL. This function/feature is essential for Dolby Digital and DTS playback, and absolutely criticle for ANY multi-channel/high-resolution media such as DVD Audio/Super Audio CD.

Wayne

#19426 - 09/10/03 08:44 PM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Time alignment would be nice, but it starts to make things very complicated. If the signal can be kept all analog, I think this product would have more of a chance to succeed. Once it goes digital, it basically becomes a multi-channel preamp/processor with more inputs. The original thought, on my part, was to keep things as much in the analog side as possible once the downconversion from either hi-res PCM or DSD had taken place.

Now if we can get stereo subs....

#19427 - 09/11/03 05:47 PM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
Brian Bearden Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Saipan, Northern Mariana Islan...
On the other hand, committing to an entirely new, all-digital design could actually reduce costs comapred with a 3-way, all analog ICBM.

Discrete, high-sample rate ADC/DACs with all processing done in the digital domain would open up a whole world of possibilities, beyond just bass management and time alignment. Perhaps some equalization, too. With the wide availability of truly hi-res DACs out there, this seems like a product whose time has come - I'm sure some owners of really high-end SACD/CD players, outboard DACS, etc., might balk at the prospect of re-digitizing the sound from their expensive analog stage, but the vast majority of us with budget to midfi components would be more open minded. HArmon Kardon is approaching their 6-channel bass management this way with their newer, higher-end recievers. I wonder if anyone has heard one of them, and how the system sounds?

BrianB

#19428 - 09/15/03 04:24 PM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
mikepa Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Massachusetts
I personally believe that with the growing number of SACD/DVD-A units being sold these days, more and more people are going to start looking for such a "migration" product. That is, a product that allows you to leverage your current investment in one multi-channel-amp and speaker setup across both audio and HT entertainment.

In fact, just think of the brand loyalty the Outlaws could build prior to the market turning around and people having the discretionary money to upgrade their legacy pre/pro units to one with analog bypass/switching.

The real question: "to process or to pass-through"?

Personally, I would settle for a KISS (keep it simple stupid) product for this. Add volume control and two more inputs to the ICBM and I would buy it tomorrow. Avoid the DD and DTS silicon royalty costs unless you wanted to complicate the product line with two products, one without processing and one with.

Interestingly enough, Sony used to sell a product close to this (TA-P9000ES) but stopped. My guess is they were concerned with having people buy this instead of upgrading their pre/pro with an entirely new model.

Maybe we could get zektor to OEM the ICBM and add the necessary changes. ;-)

mikep

#19429 - 09/25/03 07:01 PM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I have s Sony TA-P9000ES and think it is great.

However, I would replace it in a minute with a product of similar quality but with more inputs. Also, 5.1 channels is a bit dated. The replacement should have at least 7.1 channel capability, or more to allow for the next level or two of surround channel "growth".

I would also prefere the "KISS" approach. Just input selection, direct bypass selection (where the selected input goes directly to the output with no volume control) and a volume control is fine with me.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#19430 - 11/08/03 11:51 PM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
Embries Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nashville, TN
I like the 'kiss' mentality, I like the 3 inputs to one output suggestion, and I really like the 7.1 suggestion. So here's what I'd like to see in a product along these lines.

1) Analog only
2) 3 (or more) inputs
3) 7.1 channel inputs
4) no wacky/kooky gadgetry, let my pre/pro handle time alignments etc.

#19431 - 11/16/03 01:13 PM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
nicks Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: White Plains, NY
What you are describing is an analog multi-channel pre-amp. I'd buy it the day it was released. And I think a lot of audiophiles would too.

#19432 - 03/03/04 11:14 AM Re: Multi-channel switcher / ICBM
SPasse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Forney, Texas, USA
Hi All,

Here is what I want:

http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/default.asp?src=sonysupport

In the “Enter Model Number;” Type in SBV3000 for the PDF

This is a product that I own that in the days of composite and s-video, was/is one of the neatest toys in my AV setup.

This product was (It is no longer manufactured) a full 6 x 6 matrix switch. As shown in the PDF manual, you could route AV signals from/to any combination of the six source AV devices, including multiple (buffered) outputs from a single input source.

In addition to the 6 x 6 matrix, you also has two “monitor” outputs for your “big screen” monitors and surround sound equipment. These “monitor ports” could select from any of the devices connected to the 6 x6 matrix.

Wish list updates:

1 Updated to handle component video for each of its 6 input/out puts

2 Network interface (100 Base-T)

3 Control via built-in WEB page (QNX RTOS?)

4 Built in 802.11 wireless interface, or at least a PCMCIA slot for aftermarket 802.11 cards

Being a EE, this is something that I would design/build maybe even if I was my only customer.

Regards,

Scott

[This message has been edited by SPasse (edited March 04, 2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts