Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19330 - 02/25/03 02:29 AM Logic 7
opieie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tulsa, OK.
Hello, does anyone her know if the Logic 7 that HK uses is the same as the Logic 7 used in the Lexicon products.

#19331 - 02/25/03 01:27 PM Re: Logic 7
Joshorr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston, MA
Yes it is the same. As best I can understand it H/K and Lexicon are all owned by the same company.

#19332 - 05/02/03 12:20 AM Re: Logic 7
Avi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA
Yes, HK and Lexicon are both Harman brands, and yes, Logic 7 is Logic 7. Except when it isn't. On many (most?) of the HK receivers, you don't get full 7 channel Logic 7, just 5 channel. It is also my understanding (Harman hasn't sent me anything to play with) that the Lexicon implementations offer a lot more flexibility for adjustments than the HK implementations.

-avi

#19333 - 05/05/03 04:31 PM Re: Logic 7
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Avi:
On many (most?) of the HK receivers, you don't get full 7 channel Logic 7, just 5 channel.
The LOGIC7 in the H/K receivers is always the full 7-channel version. Some H/K receivers only have 5 channels of amplification, but they include pre-outs for the two non-amplified rear channels.

LOGIC7 had gone through many changes through the years as Lexicon continues to refine the decoding. Most recently it was re-written to take advantage of the greater processing power of the SHARC DSP engines in newer Lexicon processors. The version in most H/K receivers is the same as the LOGIC7 in the old DC-1/MC-1 processors (minus all the configurable parameter adjustments).

Best,
Sanjay

#19334 - 05/05/03 08:27 PM Re: Logic 7
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Sanjay,
Know your the resident Lexicon expert. But I could have sworn, I saw very detailed posts last year by aggrevied Lexicon owners on the diffrences between full bore Logic 7 on Lexicon vs the HK versions.

Referring not just to UI tweakablity/ custom setting issues but the steering and ? else, -itself? [little wiggily memeory of the details something about steering diffrences also to 6 & 7 on L7 Vs lexicons implementation?}

Additionly a memory of one of the HK receivers being touted as 'accidently' going to market with more of the 'lexicon like' version on board than normal for HK's L7 last year.

Mayhap I dreamed all that. Would do a search but lifes too messy at the moment!.

#19335 - 05/09/03 04:59 AM Re: Logic 7
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Miss Lena,
Quote:
I could have sworn, I saw very detailed posts last year by aggrevied Lexicon owners on the diffrences between full bore Logic 7 on Lexicon vs the HK versions.
The Lexicon version and the H/K version are more alike than different. I think the H/K version is similar to the one found on earlier Lexicon processors (DC-1, DC-2, MC-1). The main differences: on the Lex you have lots adjustable parameters and L7 works on 2-channel and 5.1 channel sources (on ALL H/K receivers, L7 only works on 2-channel sources).
Quote:
Additionly a memory of one of the HK receivers being touted as 'accidently' going to market with more of the 'lexicon like' version on board than normal for HK's L7 last year.
You didn't dream it. Folks thought they found an undocumented feature in one of H/K's receivers, the AVR-8000. Apparently you could turn on L7 processing when playing 5.1 sources (DTS or DD), a feature so far only reserved for Lex processors. AVR-8000 users were enjoying this feature for quite some time until they found out that it didn't really work how they thought.

On Lex processors, applying L7 to a 5.1 source causes the two surround channels to be logic steered over the 4 surround speakers. The front three channels aren't processed (three channels, three speakers, what's there to process?). On the AVR-8000, the discrete 5.1-channel source would first get folded down to two channels and then have L7 applied to it in order to create a 7-speaker presentation.

Basically, they weren't listening to a discrete multi-channel source any more but rather a de-matrixed 2-channel source. It's a testament to LOGIC7's surround processing capabilities that no one noticed for well over a year that they were listening to a 2-channel signal. That too, they only found out by accident when testing bass routing (i.e., never noticed by listening that they were not hearing discrete 5.1).

So in the end, there was no free lunch. ALL recivers from H/K can only apply L7 to 2-channel material.

Best,
Sanjay

#19336 - 05/09/03 07:57 PM Re: Logic 7
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
You didn't dream it

I never know as I can have some dooseys!.

Thanks for the explanation, which jives with what I remember. It stuck out at the time, because some of those threads back then, gave me cause to smile. Unlike yourself; - who generously gives a thumbs up on comparing the HK version of L7 vs. the Lexicon’s. (and I know you study/love your SM’S) I’m sure you know how often ‘ego’ and (price paid) rears its ugly head in AV. [Some] Lexicon owners were highly offended at any HK owner matching HK L7 to Lexicons L7. It stuck out at the time, - because I was just starting to notice how terribly elitist some in this [hobby] can be. It was indeed the steering of the 2-channel applied L7 on the HK Vs the 5.1 channel discrete (vs Matrixed) implementation on the Lex.

Geesssss, and I came into forums about this subject to get [away] from 3-D real world egos! I was surprised (don’t know why, been around the block). To see the extreme passions which flare when you gather AV’ers together, even cybersapce is far to claustrophiphic and overpopulated with highly MOIF (my opinion is final) types.

#19337 - 05/09/03 10:18 PM Re: Logic 7
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Miss Lena,
Quote:
I’m sure you know how often ‘ego’ and (price paid) rears its ugly head in AV.
Indeed, too often.
Quote:
Geesssss, and I came into forums about this subject to get [away] from 3-D real world egos! I was surprised...
A room full of men discussing a manly hobby (audio/video) is not the place to go if you want to get away from egos. I'm surprised that you were surprised. Figgr'd all them hombres in yer household woulda learned you a thing'r two 'bout the male ego.

BTW, thanks for the kind words.

Best,
Sanjay

#19338 - 05/09/03 10:39 PM Re: Logic 7
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
To get away from egos, you have to go to a Harley Davidson get together

#19339 - 05/09/03 11:57 PM Re: Logic 7
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
Maybe, maybe not, Soundhound!

But then, you have to deal with libidos, especially when

.. H H
.. |. |
H-C-C-O-H
.. |. |
.. H H

is available in quantities.

I am all too familiar about ego and price paid for a piece of AV equipment. I sometimes find it terribly difficult to not boast about how little I paid for a recent purchase.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited May 10, 2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM