Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#96712 - 07/02/17 05:19 PM I believe I'm having issues....
CarmineP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey guys, I think something might be going wrong with my Model 5000 amp...I just started experiencing a slight buzz in my left channel which I never had before. It is only noticeable when placing an ear close to the left speaker but it is there nevertheless. Also, over the past month or so I've noticed I'm having to turn the volume control on my Yamaha CX-A5000 pre-amp higher than I did in the past to have decent output. Are there any steps I can take to try & diagnose or will my amp have to be returned?

Thanks very much guys for all your help!!!
Carmine.

#96713 - 07/02/17 07:29 PM Re: I believe I'm having issues.... [Re: CarmineP]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Swap the left and right speaker cables and see if the buzz swaps to the other channel (right speaker). If so send it back home for some work. If the buzz stays in the speaker connected to the left channel then swap the amp interconnects for that channel. If the buzz swaps channels it is either the interconnect or the preamp. Good luck.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#96714 - 07/02/17 09:36 PM Re: I believe I'm having issues.... [Re: XenonMan]
CarmineP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By XenonMan
Swap the left and right speaker cables and see if the buzz swaps to the other channel (right speaker). If so send it back home for some work. If the buzz stays in the speaker connected to the left channel then swap the amp interconnects for that channel. If the buzz swaps channels it is either the interconnect or the preamp. Good luck.

Hey bud, thanks so much for the advice. Well the buzz actually went away by itself without swapping anything. But I'm still having the issue of low output. If turn on the test tones in my Yamaha, I have to turn the volume WAY up to have it even come close to 75db on my SPL meter....I have the amp plugged directly into my wall socket, not in a power conditioner (if that makes any difference). My current speakers are SVS Prime bookshelves which really aren't very efficient (87db) but this reduction in output wasn't always there.....Any further advice would be great...

Thank you again!!!!!
Carmine.

#96715 - 07/03/17 09:03 AM Re: I believe I'm having issues.... [Re: CarmineP]
Helson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
If you're seeing equal spl reduction across all channels, this doesn't sound like it could be the amp. The 5 channels are all separate, with their own power supplies. Are you using the original power cord for the amp?
I noticed there's a recent firmware update for the Yamaha. Stated something about ypao volume function.http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-new-firmware-updates-bring-4k60p-support-several-receivers-yamahas-aventage-a30-series

Edited by Helson (07/03/17 09:05 AM)

#96717 - 07/03/17 01:00 PM Re: I believe I'm having issues.... [Re: CarmineP]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
To follow up on Helson's comments, the buzz could have been proximity of the speaker wire to a power cord, which would then go away on its own when you started poking around behind the equipment (it's happened to me a time or three).

#96719 - 07/03/17 05:47 PM Re: I believe I'm having issues.... [Re: Helson]
CarmineP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By Helson
If you're seeing equal spl reduction across all channels, this doesn't sound like it could be the amp. The 5 channels are all separate, with their own power supplies. Are you using the original power cord for the amp?
I noticed there's a recent firmware update for the Yamaha. Stated something about ypao volume function.http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-new-firmware-updates-bring-4k60p-support-several-receivers-yamahas-aventage-a30-series

Hey bud, thank you! I was under the same assumption that it wasn't the amp as it was an equal reduction of SPL across the board. My current model (CX-A5000) doesn't have any recent firmware updates available. I'm at a loss as to why I'm having to raise my volume much higher than usual to have decently audible sound. If it was happening on only 1 or 2 channels I'd try changing interconnects but on all 5 channels is what has me stumped. I realize the digital volume indicator on my Yamaha is not much help to anyone but if it matters I'm pushing it to around -18db in the past I'd have decent volume at around -27db -30db..
If any one may know of anything else I may try, I would greatly appreciate it. It's driving me nuts LOL!!!

Thanks very much guys!!!!
Carmine.

#96720 - 07/03/17 05:48 PM Re: I believe I'm having issues.... [Re: gonk]
CarmineP Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By gonk
To follow up on Helson's comments, the buzz could have been proximity of the speaker wire to a power cord, which would then go away on its own when you started poking around behind the equipment (it's happened to me a time or three).

Hey man, yes i did fiddle with the wires a bit & the buzzing has stopped LOL, thank you for the tip!!!

Carmine.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts